Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone still weighing up US skiing -v- European skiing...

Poster: A snowHead
...might want to read this recent article from the legendary US ski magazine Powder
The author, consumed by Chamonix, seems to have made his mind up!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ummm Sir david you missed a bit, try Powder

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 2-03-04 12:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting quote...

"You don't think the Eurofolk want your American pesos?... Europeans have far greater disdain for the British than Americans."
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not in Switzerland, there the Swiss seem to prefer th emore traditional patient Brits to the somewhat less patient Yanks snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, interestingly the author maintains anonymity!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with everything he says bar the '...Europeans have far greater disdain for the British than the Americans'. That's not my experience as a Brit living in France, or on my travels around Europe. The travelling Americans tend to have more money and leave bigger tips, but that doesn't mean there is less disdain towards them. It depends more on individual attitudes rather than nationality.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's it in a nuyshell, really. There are always a few people with the odd irrational dislike based on nationality (and they tend to be louder than the rest - note that does not imply the converse) in every country in the world. However in my experience it's mainly down to the personalities of the people involved - visitor and local - and how they mix.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, the author has been in Chamonix and talks about "Europeans"
mmmm. I disdain neither Brits nor Yanks.
I disdain rude people, whatever their passport is.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
However, I'm not sure how welcome someone would be if they tried to pay with pesos... Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Absolutely Matteo, its rude people we dont want to see, not someone who happens to have been born in any particular country. Perhaps the author had a bad experience, who knows.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The US France 'dislike' is a bit of a myth blown up out of all proportion by politicians with their own agendas on both sides of the Pond. As has been written above, it's personalities that count. A bit of respect and a genuine attempt to understand and explore the culture of the country you visit goes a long way...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG wrote:
A bit of respect and a genuine attempt to understand and explore the culture of the country you visit goes a long way...

but what do the French get? Merihell laqer louts, half naked British chalet girls vomitting in the streets at 2am and squeeling like cats on heat, dodgy UK businesses from unqualified plumbers to tour operators avoiding paying tax and marvelling at the wonderful infrastructure they don't pay for, people speeding across France to the Alps like it is their own private race track, hoorays buying up every available appartment and boasting in the local bars how loaded they are.

No wonder the French prefer the American $$$... at least they go home after their holidays without breaking anything.

I agree with PG, a bit of respect when you visit a country even if you are bringing much needed tourist euros.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sherman-maeir, I'd like to disagree with you.... but..... well...... dammit, I've seen all of the above more often than I care to remember Exclamation
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
...I'm just another obnoxious American... Embarassed

Actually, I had no say in where I was born or the culture that has surrounded me growing up. I have, however, made a number of choices in an effort to be as graceful towards others as I can be. I have found in my limited worldwide travels that Paris is my least favorite city in terms of the poeple I encountered (business trip, mind). In that context, I did find that my English set me apart and most locals were stressed to provide typical service (at a restaurant, say). With one notable exception: a young man in the pizza joint behind the convention center loved to practice his English with us. We spent most off-site meals there as a result.

I certainly hope that I don't hit others as an obnoxious American!

Now, if you want to talk about Texans... Laughing NehNeh
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ssh, I don't think the fact of speaking English alone sets you apart in France. But they are a proud lot, French is taught as the main foreign language in the majority of Anglophone countries around the world, widely spoken on five continents and in many countries as a native tongue, a lingua franca of business, diplomacy and of major international organisations..... etc .... etc. So what does rattle them is when Anglophones don't make the slightest attempt to try out a few words of French, seemingly assuming that everyone in whichever country we Anglophones visit should of course be able to converse with us in English.

You mention Texans Madeye-Smiley I had this conversation with one just last week - he was complaining about the allegedly 'rude' French he'd met on holiday. But he admitted he'd not once so much as said 'Bonjour' to one, and when I asked him how he would react if a Frenchman walked up to him in Austin expecting him to converse with him in French, it gave him pause for thought....
snow conditions
In my experience, North Americans are an incredibly - sometimes spookily - polite people - when they're at home, at least.

And somehow I always find it easier to use my basic Italian in Italy than my intermediate French in France - it just seems to go further and be more readily understood.
snow report
PG, I understand that, certainly. When in France, I did my best to learn and use words. In fact, upon return to the States, I found myself thanking waitstaff in French! However, I admit to never having studied French so I have only learned it on my trips there (and it goes away relatively quickly).

On the other hand, Spanish is widely spoken here in the US, so I have a much broader grasp of it. In fact, it has taken the place of French as the primary second language taught here.

Ah... Texans... I followed one on the road from Frisco to Breckenridge this past weekend--in a mild snow storm at night. 25 mph!!!! ARGH!!! There was a line of 50 cars behind me by the time we got to the passing lane. Typical of our "favorite" tourists here in Colorado. rolling eyes
snow conditions
David Steven, I may be one of those "spookily polite people" you mention... Skullie I tend to be pretty quiet, and do my best to serve others. When are ya'll coming to visit us in Colorado?!
snow conditions
When I speak French in France they generally assume I'm Belgian. Shocked

French seems to be less tolerant of errors than English or German...
ski holidays
There are a lot of folks that can't understand how the USA ran out of oil. Well, here's the answer: It's simple.........nobody bothered to check the oil. They didn't know it was getting low. And of course the reason for that is geographical. All the oil is in Texas, Oklahoma and Alaska, but all the dipsticks are in Washington, D.C.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 2-03-04 19:58; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Interesting. In Courchevel this past weekend, several of the locals (after being disappointed to learn I'm American and not English) were gushing about how wonderful the Brits are - big tippers and in for a good time, unlike the stingy, crabby French!
snow report
Ian Hopkinson, I think you'll find that's an insult in France NehNeh

I always try to speak French, but I'm still haunted by a memory of when I was a kid in a French hypermarket, asking for eggs. She couldn't understand my pronunciation, despite my best efforts and ended up walking away laughing. I suspect she did understand, but just enjoyed taking the Michael.

Bitch.
snow conditions
DB, hahahahahaha! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
masopa, You weren't asking for little eggs, were you? Cos if it came across anything like "titeuf', that's a French cartoon kid, always getting into trouble!
latest report
The American National Transportation Safety Board recently reported that it had covertly funded a project with US auto makers for the past five years to install black boxes in four-wheel drive pickup trucks to determine, in fatal accidents, the events during the last 15 seconds before the crash.

The agency found that in 45 of the 50 states the last words of drivers in 61.2% of fatal crashes were, "Oh, poo-poo!"

In Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Texas and Georgia over 89.3% of the final words were, "Hold my beer and watch this."
latest report
PG, no - it was just plain, "les oeufs".

DB:
snow conditions
French as less a forgiving language: I blame the Acadamie Francais

An Italian waitor in Cervinia said he preferred English customers to Italian. Less erm, poncy I think is the best way to paraphrase him. He may just have been playing us for a tip, but I don't think so.

German's a great language to blunder about it, so many words the same as English. Swiss German can be fun, too Shocked

I know a smattering of words in several languages (travel with holiday & work) but find myself using the wrong ones in different countries and it's quite common for me use words from more than one language in a sentence, which causes consternation...mainly for me.

"Je voudrais einmal von diese, per fa vore"

(spelling might be wrong but you get the idea)
ski holidays
I used to be able to hold a poor conversation in Swiss German, unfortunately my knowledge of Swiss German seems to have decreased over the last 25 years wheras the Swiss knowledge of English seems to have grown rapidly, certainly in the Bernese Oberland, I still try to speak Swiss German wherever possible though, these days I find myself ordering a lunch in Swiss German only to be asked the next question in English Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had no idea what I was doing in Saas Fee (Valais Canton / Swiss German part), I started off in German; failed badly, tried French then English. Had fun in a tri-lingual ski school class though...
snow report
I learnt some Czech before a summer trip last August to Nova Mesto na Morave (nordic in winter, grass-skiing in the summer). It's in the middle of nowhere, well south of Prague, and when I tried out a few phrases they were so delighted in one restaurant that they chattered away endlessly each time they brought the menu, oblivious to my complete incomprehension. I haven't a clue what they said, what I ordered, and tasting each dish as it arrived didn't help much either.

One thing I did like about the place.... the hotel we stayed in was incredibly cheap, even though they were on the point of joining the EU. I honestly though they'd made a mistake when I got the bar bill for a heavy session the first evening, a fraction of the prices in France/UK.....
snow report
Switzerland is a funny country, a few years ago they held a vote to decide weather or not the official language in their parliament should be English Laughing It would seem that because they speak 4 separate languages but all learn English in school it was suggested that it would be a good neutral language to converse in, the German part not being keen on learning French and vice versa as for the Italien and Romanche speaking parts they too quite liked the idea but in the end they stuck with German Confused
ski holidays
Spending a weekend in Zermatt was bewildering, a cross between Italian, German, French and English.

Fortunately, after a couple of hours in The Cow the international language of "dangly bits" kicked in and I was fine after that.
snow conditions
The German speakers caused a big fuss when they decided to make English the second language instead of French.

It puts us to shame, for example, the Italian Swiss speak Italian(2 and sometimes 3 dialects thereof), French, (Swiss) German and fairly often, English. The others will be similar.
ski holidays
Thanks for the correction to "my spelling" Happy
snow report
Que?
ski holidays
sherman-maeir wrote:

but what do the French get? Merihell laqer louts, half naked British chalet girls vomitting in the streets at 2am and squeeling like cats on heat, .....

Yea and then we go on to complain about how the central europeans can't order themselves in the lift line properly rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy