Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BAD Drills or Exercises that Instructors use

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
snowheads68 wrote:
The Teapot drill is also called the Schlopy Drill after it's inventor.

Need to be careful how you do it in Austria or Germany as you might get arrested.

Toofy Grin
That’s definitely the arrestable version.

An instructor and some racers demonstrated the Austrian version a couple of weeks ago to me, but the directing hand was at mid to low chest level and directly in front of the chest in a hand shake position...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not a drill, but the 2 most useless pieces of instructions that I have received over my skiing life were:

1. Back when I was struggling with short turns, I asked the young Swiss Instructor who was taking our class (in Verbier), how to do them. His answer was, "How do you walk?".

2. When in Alta, my Brother and I had a private lesson with their legendary Ski School, to learn how to ski powder. His main instruction was, "Snake right on down there". It goes without saying that he did.....and we didn't. It has now become enshrined into our lexicon of family sayings, which is usually said at the top of a steep Off Piste run.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll need to think of some snowboard examples but the thing that really makes my teeth grind on the nursery slopes at the moment is all the French dudes talking with their (English!) clients about the "frontside" and "backside" edges of their snowboards when they mean "toe edge" and "heel edge" (or toeside / heelside). Call it "carre avant" and "carre arriere" or similar if you like, but if you're going to nick an English word, nick the right one! Frontside and Backside are terms used in snowboarding, but mean something different so it's super-confusing!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One exercise that really helped me but is potentially dangerous is skiing with all your boot clips and straps undone.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jbob, hmmm, While I can see it as potentially dangerous, i.e. if you fall and you are held enough to hurt but not to release... it is a reaosnable measure of either your balance or the fit of your boots
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@stevomcd my husband’s brief foray into snowboarding involved group classes with an esf instructor who kept exhorting them to “stand up, like a piece of fruit”. At least he thinks it was fruit, although possibly it was “piece of wood”. Either way, he never worked out what he was meant to be doing but we can still put each other into fits of giggles by saying “stand up! Like a peez of frooot!” in a dreadful Clouseau accent.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob wrote:
One exercise that really helped me but is potentially dangerous is skiing with all your boot clips and straps undone.

I once took the piss out of our instructor just before we started for the week. First drill; tracked out chop with boots undone. Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob wrote:

An instructor had us do this, with eyes closed down a green/blue section. A game-changer for me as I stopped ‘muscle-ing’ the skis and started feeling the terrain. The skis became a part of me. I was at one with the mountain; I thus became the ski and by far the best skier on this forum.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@brokenbetty, what kind of fruit? If it was a banana then it'd explain quite a few of the upper body positions you see out in the wild. My personal bugbear is the flappy rear arm rudder.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We had an absolutely batshit-crazy instructor teaching with us over the Easter holidays.
She really was mental...

All we heard for days was 'ZIGGAZAGGAZIGGAZAGGA - AHAHAH!!!' every few minutes.... mixed with 'UP...UP!...DOWN...DOWN!...UP...UP!...DOWN....DOWN!'

Skiing with only one ski from top to bottom (skis left at the top of the button lift slope) for day 2 English teenage beginners; then trying to get them back up to the top on the lift with only one ski on.

One kid said their boots hurt (at the top of the lift) so she said 'take them off'. The kid did; the instructor picked the boots up then just left the group and skied to the bottom and said walk down.

Half way through a drill she would randomly stop and help with another kid in another group from another ski school (not help as in help them get up.... but randomly 'teach' them a bit) whilst her group were just left waiting for her to circle the lift again.

Anyhoo... she lasted 3 days Laughing Laughing ... yes, that long! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy