Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do the British "en masse" ski like plebs?

Poster: A snowHead
I don't think this is a British phenomena as others here have also pointed out. I know a group I was away with (mixed nationalities), some were really just snow ploughers who went out everyday to scare themselves, not much fun in that. Others were shoulder turning windscreen wiper skiers, they obviously needed lessons which I suggested but they seemed happy enough to scare themselves everyday.

On the point raised that people are happy to watch DVDs and post to forums on technique rather than get lessons, I don't think this is the case, these people are interested in improving so will probably get lessons also. Anyway lessons aren't even that expensive and they bring your skiing/boarding to a new level. I got a freestyle half pipe lesson in Les Deux Alpes from Luca Baraldi http://www.lungostyle.com, it was very useful and great fun as he is crazy!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
Alexandra wrote:
CEM wrote:
Alexandra, i do see your point of view as a gross over generalisation though

As was intended... It provoked the debate! Blush

Why thank you coming along to help us all. I sure we wouldn't be capable of having a debate about the value of instruction without you looking after us in a matriarchal type fashion.

rolling eyes

Do you feel that I was criticising you personally? Or are you just in a foul mood and thought you'd take it out on a "woman on the internet?"
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alexandra, You can placate him with a bit of Chantilly cream then he's a pussycat.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Ross, ah, but with most other nationalities the plebs stay on their home hills.

Going back to the OP, if a lift stops at Breck, odds are it was Brits loading, and (more seldom) Texans. In Stowe or Lake Louise or Tremblant, there aren't that many Texans.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alexandra, I take plenty of lesson so I don't think you were criticising me. But I do dislike trolling, unpleasant generalisations and being patronised. Hence my comments to you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to add....

If I think I am skiing well..then I am happy. I have it in mind what I want to achieve and can do it sometimes...
it is when I can't seem to get it going that I am less happy...
I kind of know what is missing, I feel, if I am being really picky, other days I can live with it..

What does it take away from the day..... ? it probably takes the day down a notch or two.... but I'll think I can pull it together the next day.

Do I think the right lesson will help..? probably, ..can I get there anyway... ? Yes...I think so !! It is not hitting that stride often enough that gets to me not some magical new technique...
Not that I am closed to that option either...

Off to watch WS now.. Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex,

ha ha ha... we have been here before.... wait until you start loading Yanks on the T-bar at Horseshoe...if they haven't ripped it down yet..... Laughing Laughing Laughing AND some of those guys CAN ski....Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, yep (note to self, repeat after me, "I will get around to a TR before long"), and the other two were with him in St A.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, did you notice that the issue I tried to bring up then has completely escaped attention in this thread also?

If skiers are constantly getting lessons and gaining experience; if there is always more call for beginner lessons than for intermediate lessons,

how in the blazes are total numbers of skier visits staying so constant from year to year?

Why is this -not- a growth industry?

Why doesn't ski lesson teaching experience expertise cycles correlated to prosperity, like a 'baby boom' except in expertise instead of age?

How many are dying off the experienced end?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, i am sure i saw a statistic somewhere that said in the States 80% of first time skiers never return for a second holiday....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, The figure is 88% for those that went to La Plagne
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

the braying masses evident in almost any resort

You need to get out of the Tarentaise dear.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT wrote:
Do I think the right lesson will help..? probably, ..can I get there anyway... ? Yes...I think so !! It is not hitting that stride often enough that gets to me not some magical new technique...

Or maybe a couple of hours out of your week could accelerate that so you don't spend the week agonising about not skiing as you know you can? Small tweaks often make a big difference....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, semantic point: if the statement actually read 'second visit' that would mean that 80% of first time skiers never have a third /day/ let alone a second week.
snow report
Interesting thread.

I'm really not sure if us Brits are as bad as the OP suggests - maybe we are, maybe we're not. However, I think a little thought should be spared for the guys/girls out there, like me, with little talent but who are desperately trying to improve.

Alexandra, I'm sure if you saw me ski I'd probably fall into your "ski like a pleb" category - but I, like a lot of people, am trying my damndest to improve. It might not show, as you fly past us, en-route to your double black diamond mogul run - but you haven't seen the many hours of practice and lessons that many people put in.
snow report
Excuse my ignorance, but could someone please define trolling to someone who is still newish to this forum business Puzzled
latest report
midgetbiker wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but could someone please define trolling to someone who is still newish to this forum business Puzzled

http://www.curezone.com/forums/troll.asp
ski holidays
Makes me wonder - does Alexandra see her self as a troll or a pleb? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
guvnor said Why? Because we won two world wars and one world cup, doo dah, doo dah

F.O. That's not true. We, the British nation, Scottish Irish welsh & English & were the winnings sides involved in 2 world wars, of those nations only the English won a world Cup, deservedly or other wise and we will never ever ever hear the end of it ever.
IMHO Football is the opium of the masses Shocked Cool snowHead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 2-04-09 19:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

the braying masses evident in almost any resort.

Well if you go to resorts predictably full of "braying masses" you have only yourself to blame. Why go there, and then moan? And I still (having spent all afternoon and a huge sum of money shopping in Albertville wink ) have seen no evidence that there are loads of Brits who are unhappy with their skiing ability but refuse to take lessons. The "braying masses" you describe boasting in bars are clearly perfectly happy with the way they ski.
ski holidays
steerpike,
Stuffed Iceland though. wink

I'm an England fan Laughing
latest report
T Bar wrote:
steerpike,
Stuffed Iceland though. wink

I'm an England fan Laughing

Yes and I abhour patriots "patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" and there are good and bad skiers of all nationalitys but if you can ski in the Scottish mountains you can ski any where.

"Beware the bitch that bore the beast is in heat again Bertolt Brecht"
snow conditions
steerpike,
Don't mind patriotism untill it turns into a xenophobic nationalism.

Didn't manage to ski at all in Scotland this season as the decent conditions never seemed tocoincide with my rather rare free weekends. Crying or Very sad
Had a fantastic time up at Aonach Mor at the end of last season though.
snowHead
ski holidays
YES Aonach Mor had some good snow last year I drove up ther from Aberdeen heaps of times for half a days boarding but don't like tows, Boarding up hill not my favourite. Glenshee had some good powder this year for a short while snowHead

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 2-04-09 20:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
[quote="Guvnor"]Wguvnor said Why? Because we won two world wars and one world cup, doo dah, doo dah

F.O. That's not true. We, the British nation, Scottish Irish welsh & English & were the winnings sides involved in 2 world wars, of those nations only the English won a world Cup, deservedly or other wise and we will never ever ever hear the end of it ever.
IMHO Football is the opium of the masses
latest report
Guvnor wrote:
Why? Because we won two world wars and one world cup, doo dah, doo dah Toofy Grin

IMHO Football is the opium of the masses
latest report
well from my own experience.. i'd say i could do with a few more lessons, but.. i always think it's a waste of my days away.

but aren't most people like that
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:

2. Teenagers tend to be reckless and inconsiderate.

I resent this! rolling eyes

Alexandra, what is this bloody shoulder 'swishing' you keep referring to? I can't picture it
snow conditions
Alexandra, Ooooh looks like you touched a nerve or two. But on to the point of the discussion I believe you find these type of skiers every where but it maybe that you are more likely to notice the ones from you own country. When I was in Taos they all seemed to be from Texas and Oklahoma (if you could understand what they said) not that I am from such places, and in New Zealand there are lots of New Zealanders and Ozzies like this. I think that part of the attitude is, why pay for a lesson when my mates can show me how to do it!!! The fact that their mates can't ski to save themselves does not appear to matter. We used to see lots of the lean back, lock the feet together and wiggle the skis technique here in NZ but thankfully they are dying out as I have nearly fallen off the chairlift laughing at groups of these. Strangely enough it was mainly a male phenomenon.
snow conditions
I don't think poor skiing and shoulder swinging is in the least a british phenomenon. there are many skiers from all countries that do this, however it's those skiers who then ski either fast on beginners slopes, or insist on taking steeper runs who need censure - they are a danger to other skiers more than to themselves. Twisted Evil However their lives must be very dull if the only excitement and adreneline rush they get is doing this!
ski holidays
easiski,

I can sort of understand the 'bombing' everything culture...uinderstand it, not condone it...as that was me in my early days..and that was the basis of my referral to 5 yrs wasted earlier...but hopefully I grew out of it and am positively sedate now on piste. And the latter has been more apparent in the last few years since I got swiped and alsio saw the carnage on a 4' oclock run. I mean, 4 accidents where the skier didin't look like geting up is a bit much, IMV...
latest report
steerpike wrote:

F.O. That's not true. We, the British nation, Scottish Irish welsh & English

Excuse me???
latest report
Guvnor wrote:
Why? Because we won two world wars and one world cup, doo dah, doo dah Toofy Grin

barry, Britain has not beaten the Germans in footy and England has not won a war against them wink so technically Guvnor is wrong no matter who the 'we' is that he refers to, and I am sure the 'F. O.' was reference to the Foreign Office by means of verification of such facts wink
snow report
rayscoops,

Possibly referring to the face that Norn Irn although part of the UK of GB & NI is not 'British'. And Ireland certainly is not, although part of the British isles.
snow conditions
I didn't really understand what 'shoulder swinging' meant until I watched our Courmayeur holiday DVD and recognised this trait in one of the chaps that skis with us. It is actually quite amusing to watch...

Also quite informative watching everyone ski and seeing how different our techniques are and the fact that I take twice as long as everyone else to get down the same slope. I just don't think I'd feel comfortable skiing as fast as the others...
ski holidays
Can someone link to a video of said 'shoulder swinging'?
snow conditions
Fergus wrote:
Can someone link to a video of said 'shoulder swinging'?

Try
this, although not the worst examples you'll see.
snow report
And just what country is it that most skiers ski at a high skill level? Sure aint America! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
FastMan wrote:
And just what country is it that most skiers ski at a high skill level? Sure aint America! Madeye-Smiley

Sweden/Norway? Or maybe just those they let out of the country are fairly handy (& make for good avy control wink )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy