Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do the British "en masse" ski like plebs?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I didn't really understand what 'shoulder swinging' meant until I watched our Courmayeur holiday DVD

Ahhhhhh, yes. I am British. I take lots of lessons, and as a result I ski with elegance, power and grace.

I'm better than 97% of skiers on the hill.

Until I see myself on video. Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Acacia, Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alexandra,

I don't think I'm a good skier, I know I'm a bad skier. I've had plenty of skiing lessons and will probably have more but I'll probably still be a bad skier.

Why is this a problem to you Puzzled
Do you think only people that you deem to be good should be allowed on the slopes Puzzled

Whilst I don't make any claims to be a good skier, I don't remember the last time I came close to causing an accident.

Provided people aren't putting others at risk of injury then I don't mind how they ski.

If style was a basic requirement for doing an activity then I wouldn'tbe allowed outside the house Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rich.ll wrote:
Alexandra,

I don't think I'm a good skier, I know I'm a bad skier. I've had plenty of skiing lessons and will probably have more but I'll probably still be a bad skier.

Why is this a problem to you :~/

I am not remotely as cute as Alexandra but I will respond thus: you're paying for, and thereby supporting, bad teaching.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex,

How do you know? Some of us are just bad at some things. I know plenty of people that will never be good mathematicians regardless of the quality of the teaching. Good teachers can make us better, but they can't work miracles.

The fact that I'm not good at something doesn't neccessarily spoil my enjoyment of it, and provided I don't impinge on the safety of others or their enjoyment then why should I stop doing it?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rich.ll, 'good skiing' doesn't require any sort of miracle, the 'good skiing' bar is _not_ raised by the presence of other good skiers on the hill, and, unlike mathematics or piano playing say, there is a constantly evolving technology to make 'good skiing' easier.

Nobody's asking you to stop skiing.

The theme of my posts in this thread is more of "Stop expecting to be a bad skier, because your expectations _will_ hinder the efforts of good teachers".
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex,

I haven't read all the posts on this thread and my reply was to the original post.

I don't have any big problems with the theme of your posts as summarised by yourself.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alexandra,I think you're mistaken. I really don't see a lot of people on the slopes swinging their shoulders. This technique would be a sure fire way to land on your ass.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is the original author of this thread a skier "par excellence". Some people who think they ski badly may even ski better than this person.

Anyway, who are we to judge? Isn't it all about enjoying your time on the slopes?

I think the dutch,french, italian and many other nations also have an equal amount of "plebby" skiers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alpinequeen, the OP must be a simply divine and expert skier to have the nerve to post something like that. wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
erica2004, I see the majority of winter skiers doing it. Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ladies, let it lie, for gawds sake....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004, here is a caricature of extreme shoulder swinging, performed on inline skates:

The goal of the skater and the skiers who use it is the same: to pivot their skates/skis while they are on edge and thereby use muscle force to make part of the turn shorter.

There are two differences between the skater and the skiers:

- that particular skater is doing it completely by choice and has very many other tools available

- the skater is pushing backwards because he wants to gain speed; skiers push forwards because they want to lose speed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, expand this thinking... we are still talking shoulders. ..but if we were talking hips ..????
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, Puzzled I know I don't understand your meaning? His hips are exactly where we'd expect them to be with a skier, in spite of the slight divergence?
snow report
comprex, looks like they ( the hips ) are going backwards and forwards to me... so the exagerated arm movements are helping this...
latest report
Lots of holiday skiers are not really interested in improving their technical skills. They just want to slide about a bit on the snow and have some fun. Still see a lot of 'old school' technique being used as well. So what? Being coached to death is not everyone's idea of a holiday. Once you can control your speed safely, how far you take lessons beyond that is optional.
latest report
JT, I see it more as a bending forward at the waist.
ski holidays
comprex, If you took away the huge arm movement, I think the hips are fine... a bit OTT, but it is a bit hard to concentrate with arms going mad tho'..
snow report
Don't think my understanding of shoulder swinging is the same as comprex's

His clip looks more typical of the French/Italian crazy pierre style with excessive bum wiggling.

I though shoulder swinging was about inappropriate upeer body rotation to initiate turns and clumsy "forced" poleplanting.
latest report
fatbob, I think your understanding is exactly the same as mine, the difference being one of scale.

Again the clip is an /exaggeration/ the skater -is- using UBR to initiate and to execute every part of those turns: he's skating uphill. I didn't have a convenient pic of a skier skiing uphill using UBR because few are actually strong enough.

The point being that, if that is near the upper reach of the continuum from excessive to none, very few skiers actually make turns without relying on UBR in the initiation phase as you say or in the finishing phase for speed control.
snow report
comprex, Olympic speed skaters hold their hands behind their backs don't they, once they've reached a good speed?
snow report
pam w, yes for aerobic efforts, i.e. races lasting over about 2 minutes. 1500m and under not so much.

That's getting pretty far afield, though perhaps it clarifies my point to fatbob:

shoulder motion and UBR are tools. So is a rake. An Alabama chain gang member won't become a Zen monk by doing more raking.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 24-04-09 19:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
comprex, so.... degrees of quiet upper body. we all broadly agree. Nobody wants to see the UBR dominating the turn , but some is useful in certain instances and phases of a turn....if only for balance.
ski holidays
Quote:

I thing nearly everyone should take lessons, Bode Miller gets coached

I could reccomend him a few better instructors Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Well, I watched our holiday video again and I defintiely don't swing my shoulders. I'm like a sack of potatoes on skis, I barely move! I assume this falls under the category of 'pleb' too. Snigger... Laughing Laughing
latest report
alpinequeen wrote:
Is the original author of this thread a skier "par excellence". Some people who think they ski badly may even ski better than this person.

Anyway, who are we to judge? Isn't it all about enjoying your time on the slopes?

I think the dutch,french, italian and many other nations also have an equal amount of "plebby" skiers

from what i have been told she ain't no bode miller wink
latest report
The poor girl might need some kind of therapy - "one hell of a large sack of spuds on her shoulder" -one of my ski-ing friends has observed this thread who happens to practice in this medical area - at a suitable fee he is open to some consultancy -Alexandra PM me I can put you in touch -be warned however he heli ski's regularly in BC and Alaska so those fees ain't gona be cheap Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alexandra, bit late on this thread, but..

Quote:

Why do they believe that having skiied for 20+ years they're good?

I'm a newcomer to sking, 3rd year, but plenty of my mates 'down the pub' have been sking for 20yrs+ and 'can get down anything and never had a lesson in their lives'. Well yes, even I can 'get down anything' - but difference is, I wouldn't want you watching . Blush
ski holidays
Quote:

from what i have been told she ain't no bode miller

Quote:

I thing nearly everyone should take lessons, Bode Miller gets coached

Maybe they can split the cost of a private lesson. Now that Bode is out of work he might be glad to save a few $ wink
latest report
Lampbus has lovely technique without having lessons.
snow report
Kramer, hasn't he had lessons with Charlotte?
latest report
maggi, I think he had a week skiing off piste with her.
ski holidays
Kramer, he had a week along with Mr & Mrs Aztec and Achilles. His first lessons. He has remarkable balance (much above average), and the ability, like JT to be able to watch and then do - this is also very rare IME.
snow conditions
easiski, I'm a little confused... do you do roller-blading lessons too? if so I might be interested...
snow report
I've noticed that the British instructors don't realy understand the idea of a british skiers being good or the possibility of "talent". I've always had either FIS or a particular private British instructor to teach me so I don't know about BASI instructors on the mountain but on the dry slop they dont want people to advance.

What takes people a few hours on a realy slope will take a dry slope learner over 8weeks before they are allowed near the top of the run and the slowest snow plow anyone has seen. No matter if they have mastered it, I probably would have been forced to swpend a few hours on poleplants even though I managed them in 20 minuits perfectly (still proud of that) snowHead .

After I went for the first time on snow I never went back to the dry slope, but since ski racing is closed till the tryouts I decided to go for a structured lesson and the leaflet said "Advanced Lessons" and in fine print "Blue to red run skiers" - now I dont know about you but to me blue and reds are not advanced or challenging, advanced is offpiste confidently 1ith 15 foot drops and full speed or just under down black and im not sure how you judge park skiers as people who realy should be there often go Confused

Basically its the british ethos of anti-achievment has spread to the teachers and is holding back the students.
ski holidays
Not sure if the last post is actually worth responding to - sweeping and inaccurate generalisations seldom are. Well, ok, I will respond. What a load of bollox.

Not much more to be said, really!
snow conditions
ccl wrote:
Not sure if the last post is actually worth responding to - sweeping and inaccurate generalisations seldom are. Well, ok, I will respond. What a load of bollox.

Not much more to be said, really!

Well excuse me for saying what i've observed, and as far as ive seen its true, could you please elaborate and give some examples? Its not my fault if ive been exposed to the worst case scanario is it?
ski holidays
Spuddfluff, I once met a dude from Farnborough who was a lady's front bottom, doesn't mean I'm going to go on the internet and post about all people from Farnborough being ladies' front bottoms. That would just be unfair don't you think? It's not my fault he was a lady's front bottom.
ski holidays
arv wrote:
Spuddfluff, I once met a dude from Farnborough who was a lady's front bottom, doesn't mean I'm going to go on the internet and post about all people from Farnborough being ladies' front bottoms. That would just be unfair don't you think? It's not my fault he was a lady's front bottom.

But I did'nt mention people who attended the lessons Sad

Although I may have implied because I didnt read it through properly Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy