Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buy now or next season

Poster: A snowHead
I quite fancy getting a pair of Saloman X Wing Tornados and am wondering whether to buy the 09 model now (online) or wait until next season when it's out of date and therefore presumably cheaper.

Question is .... would those currently on sale in the UK have been sourced last year when the pound was stronger and be therefore relatively cheap compared to those on sale in Europe ?? .... will they be much more expensive by nect season as they will have to have been sourced at a much less favourable exchange rate?

Anybody got inside info on this sort of thing ??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Question is .... would those currently on sale in the UK have been sourced last year when the pound was stronger and be therefore relatively cheap compared to those on sale in Europe ??

Yes

Quote:

.... will they be much more expensive by nect season as they will have to have been sourced at a much less favourable exchange rate?

Yes

Anybody got inside info on this sort of thing ??
A ski equipment retailer I spoke with thinks so too. Equipment we use from work bought in UK made in Europe is now rediculously expensive compared to last year.

I bought skis boots and a new bike to make the most of the exchange rate. You can already see this effect on other sporting equipment such as bikes. The entire range of bikes I looked at last year have been spec'd down to a price or priced up with the same spec. It will most certainly be the same with skis which I believe are bought this time of year by the retailers.

I skied the Tornado in January for a week and really liked them. I'm 5'11' 82kg and skied the 170 it was very good as was the 162. I ended up buying a pair of Scott Neos 176 which I like even better they are stiffer slightly wider and ski really well in all terain. I love em. I tried the shorter length of this 168 I think and it was too short for me. They ski short on piste.
Whatever you buy now is the time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Microcosm of the whole UK economy - wonder if the B of E factored in a drop in UK consumer spending as people turn their backs on buying non essential product at 20%+ price inflation when they decided to push the £ through the floor?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RichA, In the surfing industry next years prices have risen by at least 10%, primarily due to the £/$ rate, most goods sourced in the far east are paid in US$ therefore in reality have gone up by 25% compared to last year,
I can only assume the ski industry is similar, I'd buy this seasons kit soon at a discount rather than wait,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buy now. Expect prices to go up on average from 10-35%.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm in the market - anybody aware of any shops doing good deals? (not ebay or private sales)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27, I think most of the shops are doing sales at the moment. Snow+Rock are as are EB. Best bet is to do a search via yell to see whos in your area then check their websites.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27, www.filarinskis.co.uk have had sale on for a while now still some good stuff there not all the sizes though. Fast free delivery too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kiwi1 wrote:

I guess that will have a catastrophic effect on UK ski sales next year then Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
uktrailmonster wrote:
kiwi1 wrote:

I guess that will have a catastrophic effect on UK ski sales next year then Shocked

Dynastar already put 290,000 unsold pairs in the skip this year.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm still trawling round the small number of ski shops round here in the hope I might find some bargain end of season boots that fit. A long shot, but it fills my spare time nicely...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia, That's just weird.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not weird, just hopeful... Very Happy

However, I'm visiting my brother down south next weekend so I have a couple more ski shops to explore...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, what size and type of feet have you got I have my old ones sitting in my spare room and for postage they can be yours Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
kiwi1 wrote:

Dynastar already put 290,000 unsold pairs in the skip this year.

Interesting that they don't sell them off cheap. I guess too much discounted stock on the market would undermine next year's sales?
ski holidays
Helen LS, I'm a UK size 8 which equates to a mondo 27 but I'm told 26 or 26.5 would be better. I think second hand boots isn't a bad idea as the liners would already be compressed so they're not likely to feel too tight. However, my biggest problem is that I have circulation and swelling problems in my calves so I need ski boots that are shorter in the leg. I'm told Head and Salomon beginner ladies boots are usually shorter. I'm not a beginner, but if beginner boots fit me better then so be it...
snow conditions
kiwi1, RPF, thanks folks - I'm trying to haggle and not getting far... Confused
snow report
red 27, http://www.snowtrax.eu/ still seem to have some stuff too No Tornados though. Meant to post this earlier.
latest report
kiwi1 wrote:

I've heard 25% being banded around for next year's hikes.

Bought the 9y/o a couple of pairs of Head Race skis back in November - was told by the shop owner that he'd ordered his 08/09 stock in Feb 08 at an agreed exch rate (when the rate was favourable) and apparently, by the time he took delivery in November, Head were losing big time on all their stuff.

Don't think the manufacturers will be making the same mistake again....
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
I think second hand boots isn't a bad idea as the liners would already be compressed so they're not likely to feel too tight.

Compressed to someone else's foot shape. Not a good idea. Better to get new boots that actually fit properly. Yes, they might feel a bit tight for a couple of days. But then for the next 100+ days will be much more comfortable than someone else's used boots.
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, but no different to hire boots which is my other option...
ski holidays
queen bodecia, you don't eat fish? Why you throwing out so much chum then?
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
uktrailmonster, but no different to hire boots which is my other option...

But your own boots could potentially be so much better than hire boots.
snow report
comprex, uktrailmonster, I give up trying to explain...

I'll just keep scouting through the sales and the used ads instead, it may prove more fruitful...
ski holidays
queen bodecia, we -know- you don't have the budget for mid-range boots without giving up a week's worth of ski passes or some such. This is something like the 4th or 5th thread on the topic. Very Happy We know about the circulation and the calves too (several threads on that since the sock one).

Can't imagine what sort of fruit you'd want further explanation to bear?
snow report
We've just bought 4 new ski's all a GREAT prices because of the crappy season and lack of sales. We got ski's below half price with the design we liked. We did get a preview of next year's Rossingol ski's and got an idea of price from the shops, and came to the conclusion that we did the right thing.

The ski's we bought are completely out of stock in Australia now so all in all a good deal.

I wouldn't feel shy at making an offer on the ski's you want as it's now the end of the season and they'll just sit on the shelves otherwise??
latest report
comprex, OK chuck, I'll shut up now... Very Happy

Might go shopping at the weekend though... Laughing Laughing
snow report
queen bodecia, Hmm well I am a 7-8 too 8 in running shoes and lady heels 7 in work boots ! and believe me my legs aint chicken ones But my old boots are mens ones tecnica rival something but they are only a mondo 25 My new ones which the gorgeous CEM fitted are only a 24 ! The offer is there !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, IME the mondo point is best not converted from your shoe size but measured. As it is in milimeters you can do this yourself, having it done at a ski shop would be best. There are numerous articles on the web about measuring mondo point yourself. I think even a video on www.skis.com (who claim they can fit your boots online and all you have to do is answer a few simple questions Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing)

I wear a size 10 running shoe and my best fitting ski boot is also a 26 Salomon Impact 10. Yes they were tight in the shop. But the 27.5 which was pretty snug too packed out in a week and had to go back. The shell check had not been performed correctly with the original boot. In mens boots I found the Salomon to be slightly longer (but whatever it is it is the closest shell to my foot shape).

Other size 26 boots were unwearable (bits of plastic where my feet wanted to be). So even correctly measured mondo point is not enough.
Do a shell check on all the boots you try if this is wrong you are finished from the start. Its the sales persons job to take the liners in and out so get them to help get them to look at the fit too. You're obviously putting a lot of time into this so get those competing for your money to do the same. Then try the boot with the liner remembering it will pack out.

Helen LS's very kind offer might suit you and is worth a try.

If you get a set of shells that are right for you either for free or if the Nordicas you have shell check ok (whats the shell check like on them?) you could spend money you would be spending on new boots getting a custom liner from CEM or other good fitter instead. This would depend on the shells being correctly fitted though. CEM does Zipfit, and Intuition liners and can get foamed ones too. I think the Intuition are the cheapest and the warmest which will suit you'r poor circulation.

I'm no expert but I've spent a fortune on boots this year through poor shell checking Embarassed and not knowing what I should really feel when trying on new boots Puzzled . Got em right in the end though Very Happy
latest report
RPF, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I had the mondo size check done at the hire shop in Courmayeur and they seemed pretty convinced I would be 26. I wear a UK8 shoe/boot, although I have long toes and narrow feet so any sort of slip on shoe is a no go. My Nordicas are 27. I haven't 'shell checked' them as I can't get the liners out, but in any case I think the over-riding problem with them is that the cuff is too high and the overall boot is too advanced/stiff. I'm only a basic recreational level skier. If I'm in a shop, as you rightly explain, I can get the assistant to get the liners out and in for me and do a proper shell check. Will this be relatively easy with a tape measure?

Helen LS, thanks you very much for the kind offer. I shall see how I get on at the weekend first (visiting a big sale near my brother's house since I'm down that way doing the Easter family thing). I'm a bit worried that mens boots might be too high/narrow in the cuff again, but I realise there are CEM stylee ways and means of dealing with such issues...

The plan is, if possible, to get some boots now, and then hopefully save some money to get the CEM treatment at a later stage. If it doesn't happen this year, I can hire again next season and try again then...

Thanks everyone for advice. I won't keep blathering on about it on here any more... Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

I can get the assistant to get the liners out and in for me and do a proper shell check. Will this be relatively easy with a tape measure?

Shell checking is more a case of putting you bare foot in the empty shell and with the toe just touching the front of the boot, poping a few fingers in and visually inspecting whats space is between the heel and the back of the boot no more than 20mm is acceptableany less than 15 you will probably find too tight as you have said you are not looking for a performance fit. CEM uses a mini maglite torch to check this and he was able to drop it between my heel and shell in the 27 boots! I had a good inch space in them (and these were bought from a "boot fitter" in a large ski shop who have more than one store in the UK! and she did a shell check (just did it wrong). I have about 15mm in the 26.

The one thing a good bootfitter would be able to advise you on at this stage of your search (and the same said CEM is really good at this) is telling you wich models to look at based on your foot shape. Then you can try on only boots that will suit you They may still need tweaking but will have the overall correct shape.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy