Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Doing your own ski servicing

Poster: A snowHead
I have not seen too many posts on ski servicing and im sure there are many people interested ( like myself ) on servicing tips and where to buy the products from.
I have always looked after my kit and had my skis regularly serviced but after my recent trip to Austria i feel i was ripped off on my service at a local shop.
Also i want more control of what angle the edges are at and what wax is put on, so i have been doing a bit of research and have found many sites with some great info that has been very helpful.
One such site is http://www.skituning.co.uk/ as there are plenty of tips and products to buy.
I have just waxed 2 pairs of skis and am very happy with the result, i have now ordered some more bits just to complete the kit needed to keep them in tip top condition.
I hope ive not stepped on any ones toes with this post and not sure if it is in the wrong section but thought it may be handy for some.
If there is any more sites that others could recommend i would be very grateful.
Darren
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nibbley-uk, Jon is a snowHead - spyderjon - and is generous with his advice on here too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nibbley-uk, If you really want to do a good job then book yourself on spyderjon's tuning course. It's highly recommended. Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nibbley-uk, there were quite a lot of threads a couple or three years ago (the search function may unearth them for you).

These covered the basics of how tis done as well as what to buy. There are also some DIY videos on the net, but I can't remember where. Essentially it's pretty straightforward stuff to set and maintain edges and bases.

I think quite a few of us got into it at that time, but you're right - there doesn't seem to have been much discussion of late.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
www.skituning101.com gives some guidance too and is probably worth a look.

If I was going to order any of the kit I would recommend doing that from spyderjon.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I glad to hear that Jon is a member on here and yes it would be really great to go on his course for sure.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nibbley-uk, another recommendation for Spyderjon's course too. Went on it last year and now happily edge and wax my skis, adjust bindings, etc.

I've yet to do any repairs but if I have to, I know that Sypderjon is always about if I need advice - for example, this season I bought some Fischers with railflex bindings and wanted to push them forward +1.5cm. A couple of emails later, words of wisdom from Jon and exchange of emails with photos and job is a good un

I can't recommend Sypderjon (Jon) highly enough as I've had nothing but a great service and advice from him. I'm sure that there are many other snowHead that feel the same
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep, another of spyderjons trainee's here. Cant recommend him enough
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I expect I could find it by doing a search but can anyone let me know where Spyderjon does these courses - not for me, but I think it could be very useful for my husband to learn a bit more.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pamski, He does them at his garage/workshop near Nottingham. You can contact him via PM here or you will find his contact numbers on the website. http://www.skituning.co.uk/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geepee, thank you for that info - it will be a nice little away-day for him some time then when we are back in sunny Sussex. I hadn't quite taken on board that the website mentioned in the OP was actually for Spyderjon, bit slow here this afternoon!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the kind words eveyone. Looks like it's time to put my prices up wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nibbley-uk wrote:
I glad to hear that Jon is a member on here and yes it would be really great to go on his course for sure.

Do it, it's worth it. You can't beat hands-on instruction. It's very easy to tune and wax skis once you see how it's done properly.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, Wait til i've made the trip up this summer first, ok? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:
Thanks for the kind words eveyone. Looks like it's time to put my prices up wink

With all those kind words about you, I was thinking more of a discount!!!! wink wink wink Shocked
ski holidays
Just getting a few names to come with me on a course as i dont want to be the one who waxes everyones skis after they find out ive been Smile
snow report
nibbley-uk wrote:
Just getting a few names to come with me on a course as i dont want to be the one who waxes everyones skis after they find out ive been Smile

That's just happened to me! I went on Jon's fantastic course last Saturday (thanks Jon!) and guess what? The very next day 2 mates went out and bought skis now that they've got someone to maintain them Laughing
snow report
The biggest advantage to doing your own skis is the confidence in them it gives you. You know they are right and the confidence just feeds back into you. You can really tell the difference.

snowHead
snow conditions
The biggest advantage to Jon doing your skis is the confidence in them it gives you. You know they are right and the confidence just feeds back into you. You can really tell the difference. wink
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
The biggest advantage to Jon doing your skis is the...
...bacon butties Debs does Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy