Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Hire from Turin

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good/cheap car hire firm @ turin airport.

There is a group of 6 plus ski/snowboard gear so need some thing pretty big. One problem i have had is the excess seems to be huge. My credit card limit £1k doesn't seem to cover any of them. Anyone know a way round this - i don't mind paying some sort of waiver to get rid!

Thanks for your help.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All the gear...no idea!, you booked through Ryanair ? If so, Hertz through them were the cheapest for us , but use the 20% off link on the right http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/hertz.php?partner=HERTZ&pos=HOME_TOP_SIDE to get the best price. Not sure about card deposit though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No easyjet i'm afraid but thanks for the advice
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
All the gear...no idea!, loads of horrorshow extras with Hertz at Turin when I used them - add on another 66% to the published price.

Great username BTW snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27, used them before without problems. Price includes CDW and theft cover. What horrors can I expect?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah been warned about hertz. I'm sure last time i hired a car the excess was only about £250 grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Mind you being 23 doesn't help.

Thanks for the help.

Re the user name took inspiration from all the novices i saw in Val D this Christmas, head to toe in spider gear and the like despite clearly having one of their first lessons on snow! hahaha - although really i'm only jealous because there jackets cost more than my snowboard Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've hired through various companies/and had cars from Hertz, and not been charged any ridiculous extras. I would really like to know what people have been charged. Europcar at Turin tried to charge us for CDW when we had already paid it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All the gear...no idea! wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good/cheap car hire firm @ turin airport.

There is a group of 6 plus ski/snowboard gear so need some thing pretty big. One problem i have had is the excess seems to be huge. My credit card limit £1k doesn't seem to cover any of them. Anyone know a way round this - i don't mind paying some sort of waiver to get rid!

We usually book through holiday autos ( http://www.holidayautos.co.uk ) or car hire3000 (part of travel jigsaw http://www.carhire3000.com/ ) both allow you to pay for a CDW waiver. Holiday autos have recently added two levels with a new more expensive complete cover option. They're a lot cheaper than buying a CDW waiver from the hire car companies. BUT, you'll still need to leave a deposit/credit card imprint with the rental company, if you have a claim they still debit you, but you claim it back from your CDW waiver.

We've used these booking agencies a lot in the past and they're great because you pre pay the whole amount - there is nothing else to pay locally except snowchains. On a different thread someone commented that cars on the French side of Geneva don't have chains - we've never had a problem if they're prebooked, but these for some reason you do have to pay for locally. As well as not getting stung for extras when you collect the car the rental is usually a lot cheaper anyway Smile

I've not booked a car from Turin yet, just CDG, Geneva, Chambery, Grenoble, but it seems to work well.
HTH
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Avoid Targarent and their brand new Alfa Romeos or you may end up getting stuck on a Col, because the engine has conked out.

Booked through Holiday Autos.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All the gear...no idea!, It is usually cheaper to accept the excess from the hire company, and pay for excess cover separately throough somebody such as one of thses:

http://www.carhire-excess-insurance.com/?gclid=CISd_rbTmpkCFUU_3god4USFDQ
http://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/questor-insurance-car-hire/car-hire-insurance.aspx?AdvertiserID=300064

The first one of these companies I used ( http://www.insurance4carhire.com/ ) no longer do daily rates, but only provide annual cover, which is about £50
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi

Wouldn't put too much on people wearing Spyder gear when we went to Bansko the jackets were £50 not being an expert I couldn't tell the difference.

We fly into Turin and are travelling by train. I know its not ideal when you have all the gear but the train links are really good and very cheap....just think of all that extra beer money.

Michelle
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, VAT on everyting at 20% and then an "Airport Surcharge" (plus VAT) at 25% as I recall were not on the original 'All inclusive' quote. This was 2 years ago and perhaps they have (been forced to) cleaned up their act...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi thanks for all the advice.

The problem is with all these extra insurances it still doesnt remove the need to for them to take a swipe of your card at the hire desk.

My credit card limit isn't sufficent to cover much more than a grand so its proving a right ball ache to find one which require less than a £1k deposit to be left.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The forum search is your friend... check out my thread on this with the answer you require: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48229

Helen Beaumont, for shame at your short memory!

The "preauthorisation" swipe was €500 on the van and €300 on the car. £7 (yes, really £1 per day) removed ALL excesses. We even got upgraded to the Mercedes Vito 9-seater automatic. Very nice it was too.

The voucher code I found is (or should be ) still valid too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carled, thanks . Hard to keep up with all my posts . rolling eyes .
ski holidays
Cheers carled. Just hoping one of our group who is over 25 has got a credit card now. I'm 23 so too young unfortunately otherwise that would of been done job.

Discount code is a nice bonus too!
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Helen Beaumont, VAT on everyting at 20% and then an "Airport Surcharge" (plus VAT) at 25% as I recall were not on the original 'All inclusive' quote. This was 2 years ago and perhaps they have (been forced to) cleaned up their act...

A belated response to this, but my terms and conditions of rental say
Quote:
The Hertz & Ryanair Special rate includes Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), Theft Protection (TP), Unlimited Mileage (UM), VAT and all Local Taxes & Surcharges.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy