Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Punisher Bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

i've been skiing for 20 yrs+ and consider myself an above average skier.

i just got myself some scott punishers, but i'm after some advice with which bindings to order.

I'm going for a freestlye binding as they are going to be my first set of park/pipe skiis.

i am looking at the Marker 12.0 free as they seem good enough and cheap enough.

has anyone got any experience with this setup?

and they come in 2 brake widths: 90mm and 110mm

as the skiis have a 86mm width underfoot would the 90mm brake be too narrow?

4mm of clearance doesnt sound like much to me.

if anyone could give me some advice on which bindings to go for i would be very gratefull.

Thanks
M
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some people hate on Marker but i had some dukes and never had any problems with them.

I think most people would say if you're gonna go marker go griffon/jester or take the Look/Dyna route annd take the the px12.

Px12s can be had for £100 and are super solid. 90mm will be fine. Im in the marker for some new bindings as well and think i will buy px15s.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mattrico, welcome to snowheads

Pay attention to where the bindings are mounted. I got some punishers recently and have had some fun with the binding position. The skis come with a freestyle (forward) mark and a traditional mark 7cm further back. I initially had the bindings set forward (not what I asked for) and the skis were darn hard work in any soft snow, way to forward for me. I'm not into freestyle, jumps, switch, rails etc. So I've now got the binding set right back, far better in soft (off piste) conditions, but probably too far back as it's taken an age to make sure I'm now not chucked back every time I take some air or hit a bump.

Sweet spot for me is probably 2cms forward of the back (traditional) position. Sorry not to clued up on teh actual bindings.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mattrico, 90mm will be fine, ideally you would want 86mm brakes. The toe-piece on the Marker 12s is not confidence inspiring IMV. For the record I have skis with Marker 12s on them and this is purely for aesthetic reasons, I have never had any problems with them releasing/not releasing.

I had PX12s on my park skis before and they are pretty solid and they look/feel a lot more substantial and if I was picking up bindings i would far sooner have these at a very similar price.

Unless you really need the high-din capabilities of the px15s there are similarly solid bindings out there which weigh a whole lot less.. I have some on my every day skis and I could do without the extra beef (FREESKIER: h2ds Rossi FKS have the same race toe piece as the PX15s and they don't weigh as much)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
arv wrote:
mattrico, 90mm will be fine, ideally you would want 86mm brakes. The toe-piece on the Marker 12s is not confidence inspiring IMV. For the record I have skis with Marker 12s on them and this is purely for aesthetic reasons, I have never had any problems with them releasing/not releasing.

I had PX12s on my park skis before and they are pretty solid and they look/feel a lot more substantial and if I was picking up bindings i would far sooner have these at a very similar price.

Unless you really need the high-din capabilities of the px15s there are similarly solid bindings out there which weigh a whole lot less.. I have some on my every day skis and I could do without the extra beef (FREESKIER: h2ds Rossi FKS have the same race toe piece as the PX15s and they don't weigh as much)

Yeah cheers arv.

I think ill go ahead and buy them tbh, im a little worried about mounting 80mm brakes up but might see what can be done. That TGR tech is a bit of a mission but might be worth it. Or save myself £30 and a whole lot of hassle and get px12s. Considering they are only for a jib/groomer 6" fresh ski i think i might go px12. I rarely have my din over 9.5 ish when skiing park etc so 12 will be plenty, i wont wont be taking ar6s off massive cliffs.

Btw arv, my AR6s (2010 model, hahahahha) , im thinking of mounting them 2.5 back from centre. Sound good to you?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 30-03-09 19:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
FREESKIER, I'll send you a PM instead of cocking up this thread more with my ramblings.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It always make me smile when folks want a cheap binding for park use when that's the environment that puts more shock load on the binding. Lots of plastic in the M12's which ain't great for durability in a park ski & the biometric toe piece is reported to be suspect in shock loading. However the Marker Jester/Griffon are a new design & are a lot stronger & have zero delta angle which helps a lot when riding & landing switch. Vist bindings are all metal irrespective of the din range & all other makers do all metal models in their higher ranges.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It always make me smile when folks want a cheap binding for park use when that's the environment that puts more shock load on the binding. Lots of plastic in the M12's which ain't great for durability in a park ski & the biometric toe piece is reported to be suspect in shock loading. However the Marker Jester/Griffon are a new design & are a lot stronger & have zero delta angle which helps a lot when riding & landing switch. Vist bindings are all metal irrespective of the din range & all other makers do all metal models in their higher ranges.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is 4 a record? Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jeez, what happened there Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
arv wrote:
Is 4 a record? Toofy Grin

Laughing

Just trying to catch up with those that post in the Morning Chorus wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, apart from that, do you have any strong feelings on the matter ? Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sproggski, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Cheers Guys,

Lots of great advice!

seems like the Marker 12.0 might be a little lightweight and plasticy

What does everyone think of the Giffon?
they look a lot more substantial to me.

anyone know the difference between the PX12's jib, fluid and standard versions?

Thanks
M
ski holidays
I got punishers with griffons, not had any really issues apart from they are a bit plasticy and I've taken a few gauges out of them. It might be easier to get hold of some px12s though
snow report
I just got some new punishers with marker griffons for £340 and a free ski bag!!! Have not skiied them yet but they look rugged and strong much more sturdy than the salomons.
ski holidays
markcoles, that's a crackin' deal.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy