Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I got some Vaseline on my ski bases - is it a problem?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
When I bought my Skis, the chap recommended I put some vaseline on the edges to stop them rusting over the summer. Being a clumsy sod, I managed to get some on the bases. Ive scraped most of it off, but some has been absorbed into the base. Will it mess up my ski`s or affect their performance?

I`m also wondering if a base grind would get some of it out.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
scoob101, welcome to sHs snowHead My guess is that a thorough brush out and re-wax would do the trick - but spyderjon is the expert on this stuff. Hopefully he will heave into view.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scoob101 wrote:
vaseline on the edges to stop them rusting

Whatever dude. Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I stand to be corrected, but I would go for a hot wax scrape.

Iron in some soft base prep wax and scrape while still hot and this will 'pull' the vaseline out of the base. Do it about four or five times and it should do the trick. Then stick some wax on and leave it of you're going to store for the summer - scrape it off next winter when you're ready to use the skis again.

Zardoz NotWax is best for protecting the edges - just wipe it on and leave it.

scoob101 wrote:
I`m also wondering if a base grind would get some of it out.

Shocked Noooooooo!!!!!!!

parlor - Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
parlor,

don't get shirty just cause he's not using vaseline for the same uses as you NehNeh Very Happy Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kiwi1, as you know wasted vaseline upstes me...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scoob101, welcome to snowHeads. Don't worry, there are many here with equally wierd fetishes wink

Which ski shop told you this?

Follow Jon.L's solution.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scoob101, Yeah I followed that bit of advice a few years ago was putting it on the edges, then I thought sod it might as well put it on the bases it will probably be just as good as wax.!! I still don't know to this day what I was thinking. I turned up on a course in Tignes on a summer trip, walked out of the funicular, walked across to put my skis on and pointed them down the hill and just didn't move! I reckon I could have pointed them down a 45 degree couloir and would have still been stuck to it like glue! I picked up one of my skis and all the way down the length was a foot thick in snow! Oops, back down to town again to get some hire skis - Sh*t for brains, ski servicing is best left to experts.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gsyfreerider, for future reference, a nylon brush or a scotchbrite pad followed by a bit of Zardoz will take care of that within minutes.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gsyfreerider, great story the best lessons are the hardest learned.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brush off and apply KY
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This work's for me, for summer storage: Hot wax the bases be genourous and let it go on the edges, when they are ready for using again I re-melt the wax let it dry then scrape (might give another application of hot wax) Then when all the wax has been scraped I sharpen the edges, Simples !!

Vaseline Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Perhaps a de-waxer spray that you use prior to base repairs would get it off?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dme wrote:
Brush off and apply KY
Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy