Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RISOUL, what a week

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back last night from a week in Risoul. Had a great weeks skiing, 4 days of lovely sunshine and 3 days of non stop heavy snow, powder up to the knees. I'll post a bit more later when i have time, nearly had piste rescue out to us on saturday afternoon in total whiteout conditions!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So let me tell you a little about our week in Risoul.

I decided after 10 years snowboarding to ditch the board and take up a week of esf ski training with my 9 year old daughter herself a first time skier.
So I surfed the web and found an amazing deal for £199 per person half board at Hotel Le Morgan in Risoul including flights and coach transfers with RocketSki(part of Equity ski). We also had BOGOF ski hire and lift passes which was great. Including 6 days of 2.5 hours ESF training we we all in for less than £800. For 2 people thats pretty good value in my book.

We arrived at Stanstead on Sunday 22nd expecting to fly with Monarch to Turin as advised but it was changed to Jet2 and delayed by nearly 2 hours! that said i've never flown with Jet2 and i was pleasantly surprised, all leather seats and more than enough leg room even for me(6ft).
We were met by a rocket ski rep by the name of MattFro or Fuzzy as my daughter called him(big fro hairdo) and shown which coach to go to, an hour or so later(waiting for 4 teenage idiots who decided to go have a pint and a burger) we left turin airport and it took approx 3.5 hours to get to Risoul.

We were pleasantly surprised by the hotel, we had read very mixed reports prior to arriving, so we did not expect too much. The hotel was located virtually at the bottom of the slopes through the alley of the ESF school, you couldn't ask for better. It was clean and welcoming, the rooms were spacious and warm, the bathrooms were a little outdated but again very clean and the bath was nice and deep for a long soak aftera day on the slopes.
The young british staff really excelled themselves all week long, great food and great service always more than happy to help and advise no matter what you needed or a what time. The staff at Le morgan were 5 out of 5 on the service front with our personal favorites Charlotte the resort rep and Mattfro the ski technician and coach transfer guru.

Esf in Risoul was brilliant, I dropped my daughter off at 9.25am for her lessons and off i went to mine, i've gotta say they were brilliant. They realise if a group is holding someone back they move them on to another, I was moved on 6 times during the week, 3 times on day 1!! I eventually found an instructor called Benjy who brought out the best in me, he had me skiing balcks and reds by the wednesday and I enjoyed some moments of off piste and the snow park jumps. He was a great guy to ski with and I learnt a hell of a lot from him, in the ten years I've been snowboarding and watching skiers I've not quite met anyone like him, he is a very talented freestyle skier and if ever you get the chance to go to risoul then i recomend you book Benjy for a couple of hours, you will not be dissapointed and no matter what your level you will learn something new.
My daughters lessons again worked out well, we skied together after lunch everyday and again by wednesday she could tackle Blues with confidence and was trying her hand at the odd red run.

As i said earlier we nearly required rescuing on Saturday afternoon, we took a chair and then long drag lift up to the top of one of the resorts mountains with another dad and daughter who we had met at the hotel. By the time we had got to the top the weather has got so bad we could hardly see a few feet in front of us, total whiteout. My daughter was frightned and couldn't face the reds and blues back down, i have to admit i was uncomfortable myself because of the visability. The snow was falling so thick it was hard to see where the piste was marked from one pole to another. A decision was made to take the green run back to resort but as the snow thickened now upto knee level we weren't gaining any ground. It took us nearly 1.5 hours of hell towing our daughters trying to wade through the snow along what seemed the worlds longest, flattest most narrow green run until we got down far enough to be able to see a marked blue we could follow back to the resort. We didn't see another soul on that 1.5 hours and a few times I thought we were gonna be in serious trouble if we didn't keep on moving. All i can say is i will never forget that day, and the beer that evening tasted sooooo good even if it was 6.5 euros!! my legs are still hurting today from all that snow wading!

So in conclusion, my daughter and are hooked on skiing. we both took to it like ducks to water snowHead it'll be a while before i'm snowboarding again, well at least until Hemel opens!!!

Risoul, i can't recommend this resort highly enough. If you get the opportunity then please go there, only downside is the transfer time from turin.

Hotel Le Morgan, you will read mixed reviews but i thought it was great. Brilliant location, brilliant staff and very good food. And it was more than good value for money it was a bargain for £199 each.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

The snow was falling so thick it was hard to see where the piste was marked from one pole to another.

Sounds a great holiday. It's very hard when the visibility gets that bad. We just skied down our home run in very poor visibility - there was certainly no possibility of seeing the next piste marker - you had to head off in roughly the right direction and hope to pick it up, remembering to keep the poles with the red tops on your right. We know that run extremely well - we ski it constantly, but we still both managed to ski completely off the piste and into the powder on one occasion. The first time I careered off, having completely lost sight of all posts and because I disappeared instantly from view my OH was able to stop before following me over the edge! In an unfamiliar resort, it's not nice at all but it does make that first drink when you get back most enjoyable. Mine was a hot chocolate and Baileys. wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

only downside is the transfer time from turin.

We live just at the bottom of the road up to Risoul, and we always fly Marseille. it is further in km than Turin, but a much shorter drive timewise.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here are a couple of links to some pics & videos of the trip if anyone is interested:

http://youtube.com/v/4WVLxYwO1JA

http://youtube.com/v/sZZAgcYfBiM

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great video enjoyed that off in one day so a nice reminder of a weekend to come...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just back from Risoul this weekend - I agree, a fantastic little resort for the family and ESF very good for my wife and 3 children (all first timers). Snow conditions not as good as yours, getting slushy and slow near the bottom in the afternoons, but nice and soft for the children to flop into! Thankfully they're all hooked now and we're looking to book up for next year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
how come you've got pictures from Serre Chevalier in your youtube slides? Unlike Montgenevre its not on the direct route to Risoul from Turin.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Christopher wrote:
how come you've got pictures from Serre Chevalier in your youtube slides? Unlike Montgenevre its not on the direct route to Risoul from Turin.

had to do some pick up's on route.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy