Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne, France

Poster: A snowHead
Charlatanefc, I have thought long and hard-ish about your question.... Cervinia, as any fule kno, is "no oil painting" - Jacci Smith to La Plagne's Mo Mowlem perhaps - and I can only explain my ability to accept the 'village' by saying that so stunning is the majesty of the towering Matterhorn that it holds the eye and so allows visitors to ignore the dull sprawl below.

BTW a little known fact for Evertonians only is the same architect who designed the Tower Hill estate in Kirkby for Lancashire Council in the late '50s went on to design the original "Haine La Plagne" buildings 15 years later... (Architecture lesson over)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 31-03-09 19:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
red 27,
I believe the Matterhorn was originally designed to be viewed from Switzerland, not Cervinia. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
T Bar wrote:
red 27,
I believe the Matterhorn was originally designed to be viewed from Switzerland, not Cervinia. wink

Indeed, is just an ugly bulge from the Italian side.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
T Bar wrote:
red 27,

Indeed, is just an ugly bulge from the Italian side.
Hallelujah brother!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a slight feeling my chain is being yanked.... wink

It is true of course that God - in his infinte wisdom, and after completing his masterwork Jade Goody - angled his most perfect mountian so that that most superfically attractive view - the 'punter' view as we call it in the trade - faces towards the dark, miserable Swiss valley that we call Zer-Matt, but it is clear he did this in a futile effort to put a smile on the faces of the miserable hobbit-burghers who choose to loiter in such a place. One only has to spend 15 minutes on the Dolce Vita to understand that the Italians have been blessed with every other possible advantage...

Best wishes to all, even those Utter Philistines who wouldn't know True Beauty, Darling if it jumped up and bit them on the proverbial!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Only been to Cervinia once, about 20 years ago. Was really looking forward to seeing the Matterhorn as it featured so prominently in the tour operator's brochure. When I got to the resort I thought somebody had actually stolen the dramatic peak that I was expecting to see towering over the charming Italian resort. So, the resort wasn't charming and it wasn't towered over by a beautiful pinnacle of metamorphic rock. Tour operators, eh?!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah, rob@rar, but the skiing was great and the food was fantastic - right? snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't remember much about the skiing, but I do recall the food being wonderful (but I'm a big lover of Italian cuisine so that's no surprise). However, it's a ski resort so by definition it's one of the most wonderful places on this small, blue planet of ours Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, stop, stop, I am welling up here, a 9 year old rob@rar standing forlornly at the side of the piste disappointment etched all over his little face....

"Daddy (he says through the tears), next year please may we go skiing somewhere with a real mountain, not a sad apology for a hill like the Matterhorn?"

"No son, we bloody well can't, it's La Plagne or nothing, now shut your whining and eat that pizza"

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 31-03-09 20:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27 wrote:
rob@rar, stop, stop, I am welling up here, a 9 year old rob@rar standing forlornly piste-side disappoitment etched all over his little face.... Crying or Very sad

It was a tragic sight. I was so disappointed I didn't return to Italian skiing until this season.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, those dolomites suck too right? I prefer Les Gets Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
red 27 wrote:
rob@rar, those dolomites suck too right?

Last time I was in the Dolomites was in 1979 and I think they were quite pretty.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking good in Plagne Centre this morning Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
By sheer co-incidence just received a text from Mouth who is still over in Montalbert telling me it's a powder day Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing, snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
redrunmarcus, and she has just sent me another text saying how quiet and lovely it all is, but she was sitting on the Fornelet chair at the time Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, wouldn't be quiet for the others on the chair wink
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing
Mouth is the shortened version of her 'name', it's Motor mouth on Natives wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Oh come on folks, La Plagne is one of the world's ugliest ski resorts. It still looks far better than Milton Keynes, but if we're talking major ski resorts...

I thought the on-piste was as dull and forgettable as anything I've seen, but the off-piste with a guide was pretty impressive and easily accessible. But not somewhere I'd be in a hurry to re-visit. Last skied there in 1999 I think.
latest report
uktrailmonster, yep got to agree each and every one of the 12 villages that make up La Plagne are really ugly when compared to Les Menuires Val Thorens Flaine Avoriaz etc etc Laughing Laughing rolling eyes
uktrailmonster, no doubt you only ski in ski resorts that are pretty pretty, its 2009 by the way and strangely enough like all built environments La Plagne changes as each year passes I suggest you keep your facile comments based on whats happening today not 10 years ago (or longer as you dont seem to be able to recall exactly when!) Hey ho it must be Europes most visited resort because people love ugly buildings!
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Calm down man, I'm sure it looks wonderful now. Also agree with your additional list of particularly fugly French resorts.
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, fugly, what an excellent and apt adjective Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy