Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has your EHIC (E111 replacement card) expired?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Warning! 3m EHIC cards have expired. Check & get it FREE if you're travelling to Europe this year. Updated Guide
The EHIC card is a govt scheme giving the cardholder free or discounted treatment in state-run hospitals in the EU or Switzerland. Why they've expired? EHIC replaced the E111 card in Sept 05, and until March 06 it issued some 3yr and some 5yr cards to spread expiry dates. Now nearly 3million have run out and only 250,000 have been renewed. Is it worth it? Yes! It's important for emergency treatment, works regardless of age & means you get identical treatment and billing to that country's citizens. Does it replace travel insurance? No, as you may still need pay, it only works in state hospitals and doesn't cover baggage, delay etc. How to get one: Go to EHIC applications.

Did you know they had a expiry date?

I did not until I checked, it's been dead a while, I've just renewed online very painless. https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do

Quote:

The free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) replaced the E111 form in 2005 and entitles the holder to free or discounted medical treatment in state run hospitals in any EU country and Switzerland. If you’re travelling to Europe you should ensure you’ve got a valid one as it means you’re treated like a citizen of that country, which is extremely useful in emergencies.

It’s completely free to get one, go to the EHIC website, any Post Office or call 0845 606 2030.

Does it make treatments free?

No. Effectively it means you get treated the same way as a citizen of that country. So if they get free medical treatment you do too; if they pay, you pay the same rates. This is a reciprocal agreement across Europe, so EU citizens can use the NHS in the same way.

Yet do ensure you’ve got the card with you at all times, as rather absurdly the terms stipulate that you won't be covered if you haven’t got it (so take it to the beach if you have to too).

Can it be used as a substitute for travel insurance?

No. While very useful, it’s only about medical cover. It doesn’t cover baggage, holiday cancellation, repatriation if you’re dead or any of the other things you might take cover out for. Plus you’ve only got access to state run hospitals which, depending on where you travel to, can be few or far between, and more limited.

What’s more, you may have to pay for treatment even with an EHIC card (though it’ll usually be discounted). You’d be covered for this extra expense with travel insurance but having the EHIC too may mean you needn’t pay the excess.

Check it hasn't expired.

EHIC cards expire after three or five years, and the expiry date is listed on the bottom right of the plastic. It’s thought up to three million people are carrying now expired cards, so it’s crucial to ensure yours is valid and sort one before going away. You can apply for a new card up to six months before the current one ends.

thanks to http://www.moneysavingexpert.com for the reminder and info
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dwarf Vader, We've had this before - boredsurfing put it up last year I think, so yes I knnew they expired , and mind hasn't. good reminder though
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glad we had ours with us at New Year. It has since expired and they are now renewed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, How did it help? so it's not an empty euro promise?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dwarf Vader, thanks to you and fordprefect for this reminder - I had no idea they expired, checked and mine ran out 1st March Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dwarf Vader, presenting the EHIC card means you are treated like a citizen of the country you are in, so although there were charges,they were only what a French citizen would have paid. I think there was a total of about 250€ which our insurers have paid. We were asked if we had a card by both hospitals, so without it we may have been asked to guarantee that we would pay.
However, they were very much ' treat first and sort out the money later' , even the private ambulance service would have billed us rather than make us pay immediately. I called the insurers, who spoke to the ambulance staff and they dealt with it all over the phone.
Using the EHIC card also meant we paid no excess on our insurance claim.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yoda wrote:
.............I had no idea they expired..............

Stay on the ball with snowHeads - we're here to help wink
I agree the reminder is timely, though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dwarf Vader, iirc many years ago when I dislocated a shoulder (in the days of yearly EHIC) the insurers would not pay the part of the bill which would have been covered by the EHIC, as by not having one you were not acting as a "prudent uninsured" and therefore didn't deserve the payment. I had the document so was OK, although it wasn't a huge amount (the fancy sling that I bought from a pharmacy cost more than the doctor's bill rolling eyes )
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont, that's reassuring to know particularly about the ambulance after reading horror stories about people not been taken to hospital unless they paid first.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I didn't know they expired, mine had, good job I didn't need to use it then.

Also everyone may not know that the photocard driving licences expire after 10 years
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dwarf Vader, I was thinking of those horror stories while julesb was waiting for the ambulance to take him to Grenoble.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
elgrego wrote:
Also everyone may not know that the photocard driving licences expire after 10 years

At least with a EHIC you don't have to pay for a replacement. My old paper driving license is extremely tatty - but it does last until I'm 70.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
elgrego, if you were to move into a friend/relatives house for a short while DVLA should do you a change of address free of charge. If you were to move back a few weeks later........
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Based on two recent incidents involving trying to use EHIC's, I think they're quite a good metaphor for our current government. There's a very slick IT system for ordering/renewing a card, the accompanying blurb makes it out to be a shining example of European cooperation but when you actually need it in an emergency..... less use than the proverbial chocolate teapot.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Clive, Completely contrary to the experience of one of our party in the Sud-Tirol. Was taken to "Krankenhaus Brixen" with a leg broken in three places - handed over EHIC, then when I showed them his passport and asked for the hospital contact details for his insurance company the response was "Why do you need insurance - with the (EHIC) card it's all free anyway"
latest report
Hi Robin, my experiences involved a broken collar bone + head injury in Greece and torn knee ligaments in Italy. Neither hospital were the slightest bit impressed by my EHIC plastic but noticeably perked up when I flashed insurance docs and a Visa card.
latest report
Clive, You have to remember, the EHIC card only gves you the same cover in any of the applicable countries as the locals get under their equivalent of the NHS.
ski holidays
Clive, certainly much better than a chocolate teapot when we had cause to use it recently. Like alex_heney, says it depends on the country. You should be treated exactly the same as a citizen of the country you are visiting. Did you try to reclaim any of this from the NHS?
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader, Thanks just went and looked at ours and they have expired last month
New ones now applyed for
latest report
Garfield, I got mine through the post on Friday so it took less than a week to arrive.
snow report
Dwarf Vader, mine came today, so I can now journey to the dark side once more Toofy Grin
latest report
Clive wrote:
Hi Robin, my experiences involved a broken collar bone + head injury in Greece and torn knee ligaments in Italy. Neither hospital were the slightest bit impressed by my EHIC plastic but noticeably perked up when I flashed insurance docs and a Visa card.

impressive.. would you allow me to take life insurance on you Smile
ski holidays
FenlandSkier wrote:
elgrego, if you were to move into a friend/relatives house for a short while DVLA should do you a change of address free of charge. If you were to move back a few weeks later........

...... very interesting fenlandskier wink
snow report
If anyone has the same problem we had - discovered they had expired the day before flying to Spain last Sunday( Shocked ) - you may find the following helpful. I rang the telephone number listed on the website on the Saturday morning and even tho their computers were down I was able to leave all the details and was given an emergency phone number in case we needed to use medical services while away. No idea if it would have worked - fortunately - but was reassuring to think at least there seemed to be a system. Returned today to find the new cards had arrived. Very Happy Again a 5 year validity so will need to keep an eye on them rolling eyes
ski holidays
Late starter, Scottish guy in the next room to my hubby in Grenoble hospital did not have an EHIC card. Their insurers phoned the DWP on their behalf with his National Insurance number and organised the EHIC card.
snow report
Dwarf Vader, ... great post and many thanks for taking the time to highlight this .... Very Happy snowHead

I was unknowingly Non-EHIC / E111 Compliant until a few minutes ago ... having expired December 2008 ... the card that is ... Toofy Grin

I am now once again a proud bearer of a valid European Health Insurance Card ... Laughing

... and here's hoping that we'll never need them ... snowHead
snow report
BernardC, fingers crossed that you don't. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy