Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A boot's "last"

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering, when a manufacturer states a boot's last as being 98mm or whatever, is this for a specific reference mondopoint? or do they retain that last for all sizes? Are there any tables anywhere that show specific boots lasts in different mondopoints? On a side note ive heard Salomon are rolling out there custom shell design on more boots next year, does anyone have any experience with it and how well does it work?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skifluff, The last sizing corresponds to size 26/26,5 mondo (7) uk. There is a chart with the sizes per mondo point, but it isn't going to appear here.

My experience of the custom shell......................All shells are custom shells.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, go on we should post the chart.....nah much more fun if we don't

skifluff, custom shell, as SMALLZOOKEEPER says all shells are custom shells, just the salomon has some fancy plastic on it, any good fitter with the right tools can modify a boot to fit around lumps and bumps, does the salomon thing work, yeh sure but only if the dimensions of the foot fit the shell profile, ie if the instep is too high on your foot for the falcon it doesn't really matter if it is custom shell or not
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM, You have the Chart?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, oh yes, it's in here
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, oh yes, it's in here

Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No then. Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you know, I know but do they Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You guys mean a chart like this: http://www.untracked.com/a9pg1-boot_fitting_mondopoint_conversion_chart.html ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This link is interesting, but it doesn't seem to relate to a 98mm last

http://www.omerandbobs.com/info%20center/winter%20faq/generalstuff5.html

However, I can't see that 98mm could correspond to a Mondo sizing. Mondo sizing being the length of the foot in cm. It sounds to me to be much more likely to be related to the width of the boot, possibly at the narrowest part of the foot - My foot looks about 9-10m wide and I am a size 7. Therefore within reason a 98mm last could relate to a boot across a certain size range given an average ratio of width to boot length.

OK, so that's my theory following a bit of internet research - am I close bootfitters?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
demos, No, it's the chart that 'Grades' the width of the boot in relation to the length. For instance if you buy a Jacket in a larger chest size, the sleeves will also be longer.
A boot at Mondo 26 with a 98mm last, at size 27 will probably measure 101mm across the forefoot.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman, you would seem to suggest that I am Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
demos, no, those are trivial and next to meaningless because shells aren't shoes.

What they mean is a chart more like

25 96.3
26 98
27 100
28 102

for each boot model's shell. Notice that the scalar width number is also next to meaningless unless you know how far behind the toes that is.

The moment you specify where that's measured and how, it immediately launches you into having to consider the various 3D shapes involved instead of just one scalar width.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, 'Grading' in clothing manufacture is a very good example. The design in a size 10 for women and just Grade up or down for other sizes.
If 2 people have the same shape foot, but one is longer than the others, it's going to be wider also.

It isn't the black art that some like to lead you to believe it is. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman, and don't they make a meal of it wink

Yes, exactly what I summised. Its a bit like bra sizes too, IIRC I believe cup size also increases with chest width, so a 38B and a 40A (if you can get such a beast) would actually be two bras with cup sizes that were 'physically' the same.
snow report
comprex, Could you please be as precise at your opening gambit of the 25 measuring 96.3mm???? snowHead
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, at what temperature?
snow conditions
CEM, So, you you have the chart?
ski holidays
comprex, The one that measured the precise 25. Cool
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Spyderman, and don't they make a meal of it wink

Yes, exactly what I summised. Its a bit like bra sizes too, IIRC I believe cup size also increases with chest width, so a 38B and a 40A (if you can get such a beast) would actually be two bras with cup sizes that were 'physically' the same.

Difference is any more than a handful is wasted. Laughing
snow report
Spyderman, U R def. my sort of man with thoughts like that!! Kitty sounds like you collared one of life's good guys.

Earth calling comprex, & SMALLZOOKEEPER, come off it Guys! The OP was a reasonable question!! I'm sure you won't be happy until you've proved that the diversity of the mean width is inwardly proportional to the length minus the black art interval of 7.43!! Laughing
snow report
http://www.boot.com/bsizcvt.htm
latest report
http://www.untracked.com/a9pg1-boot_fitting_mondopoint_conversion_chart.html
snow report
http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/72701/how-is-mondo-point-sizing-determined
ski holidays
Quote:

Earth calling comprex, & SMALLZOOKEEPER, come off it Guys

Megamum, why don't you go back to aspiring intermediate land, the OP asked a question, it has been answered and no we are not going to publish the chart, there is enough DIY boot fitting advice on here without divulging that information, besides there was a lot of time that went into developing the said information. sorry to sound abrupt but i think we have gven quite enough free information to the users of this site Little Angel
snow report
CEM, So do you have a chart? Where did you get it? Answer me damn it........................ Laughing
snow report
So "last" isn't about how many seasons you get out of a boot then Toofy Grin
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, from you Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, ???? I gave you one? When, Where, how?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, quite a while back, probably 2 years??? can't remember, think it was at lockwoods day, all a distant haze
ski holidays
Are you sure i gave it to you, not to Lockwoods and then you stumbled upon it in your bag by accident on the way home?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, nope you definatey went to the office copied it and gave me a copy into my hand
snow report
CEM, Well just make sure that's the only photocopier it sees.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, it remains in a file for reference Very Happy
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

Why?
latest report
slikedges, because its faded from over use. Any copies will be unreadable Toofy Grin
latest report
slikedges wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

Why?

same reason you don't publish your pay slip wink
ski holidays
CEM, my payslip (well a typical payslip of someone in my position Toofy Grin ) is info that's in the public domain, but we're all also comfortable with the situation that all technical info pertaining to the job we do is freely available to anyone with the time to look and the faculty to digest it. Little Angel
snow conditions
slikedges, Sweet, well this isn't. Little Angel
snow report
ROFLWMK Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy