Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens 09 !

Poster: A snowHead
Heading out to val thorens tomorrow evening with my mates, leaving this time tomorrow.

I've had my boarding in a day at tamworth, as well as some more practice down at Xscape in MK. I got my Board, Boots,Clothing,Mitts,Goggles,Beanie Hat.

Cant Wait, its going to be my first time out on the real powder Very Happy, so excited.

1 week of Awesomeness !!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jdizzle, Enjoy, you should have some great conditions. Leave some for us on the EOSB. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jdizzle, have a good one Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jdizzle, Snow, cool temps forecast, looking good for your holiday. Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jdizzle, good luck and enjoy ! Don't forget to practice your carving in your lessons wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jdizzle, Asuming that you are now back from VT, how were the conditions?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BMF_Skier wrote:
jdizzle, Asuming that you are now back from VT, how were the conditions?

Yo BMF, sorry about the late reply dude. Conditions were great on the sunday,monday,tuesday. A bit foggy but was snowing constantly. However on the thursday and friday the sun blasted through and it became very slushish. We were on black and red runs as high as possible.

The trip was amazing, I want to do a season!!, Apparently for my first time I was "insane" going on black runs, doing jumps, I had 6 hrs extra lessons just in case but I didn't require them, the instructor had me ride regular which I found hard as I am goofy. She also changed my binding position to +25 +20, not sure if that's was good, it was on +15, 0 at the start of the week. I found it a bit harder riding the new settings.

I think now I need to work on my speed and jumping 180 and 360s. So I need to hit the snow park a.s.a.p.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jdizzle, +25 +20 Puzzled shoot your instructor - this is not a good setting for felxibilty and general learning
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
she said that i'm more of an intermiedate level, she was french and quite pretty, really funky hair!! what setting would you recommend? When i was riding +15,0 it was very simple didnt fall over much, and i was craving it up on the blacks like mad, best day was the monday in the fog Very Happy, loved it man.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For starters, +25, +20 is unpossible. Bindings go in 3° increments.

BASI advice is a difference of 21-30° between your feet, so something like 18, -9° (my stance) works pretty well, or even 15, -15° for all the rad park dudes.

If she was French that probably explains it.

1) They're pretty old school
2) Their snowboard instructor's course is a long weekend... (to be fair, that's just the minimum and I know some really good french instructors - as well as some shockers...)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
15-15 Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've gone for the laid back duck, +18,-6. I probably wont get to try it out for a couple of weeks at tamworth, i have chosen this as i was pretty comfortable doing +15,0 when i was at VT. When i changed to +25,+20 it was too awake and not all that comfortable at all. i totally want to live in the mountains now after that trip.

I think next up, get in as much practise done over the summer in MK and tamworth
A season next year maybe then enter some uk comps if i am good enough.

Only just turned 20 is it too late?, Vt was my first time on slopes and i was already hitting the blacks. a dude who has been boarding for 14 years said i was amazing and had no fear, i quote "i've never seen anyone pick it up so quickly and do so well", i'm not hyping myself up as i'm not like that, i'm competely down to earth. i just try hard in whatever i do and give 100%
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jdizzle, i did blacks during my first week too, but it did not mean that I could snowboard though wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jdizzle, I'm genuinely glad to hear you had such a good time and your enthusiasm's oozing out of the screen! I'm not wanting to pour cold water on it, but would just like to check with you....

You adore speed/adrenaline & that's fine - but can you ALWAYS stop under control or take avoiding action if someone below you gets in your way - or if you end up colliding with them will you blame them for being in your way? Do slower people get on your nerves & do you find yourself wishing they'd get off your slope if they can't hack it? Let me put a scenario to you - the black you're whizzing down has merged into a blue at the bottom (not unusual) and you, invigorated by your speed, are desperate to get to the lift back up as soon as you possibly can - then as you scream round a bend, or satisfyingly launch yourself into a jump over a blind hump you suddenly find I'm there, right in your way, practising my irritatingly slow, wide turns on skis with several similar companions - collision course - aarrghh! Please tell me it won't happen because on entering the blue you'll have slowed down and you'll have tons of patience with those not fortunate enough to be as naturally good as you........ reassure me you won't frighten me witless by shooting past me, swearing at me (it's happened), you won't swerve as close to me as you can to demonstrate your skills and go off laughing as I end up falling because of it (it's happened)....!

I'm not a misery .......... I love having a great time and seeing others do so too, but I am keen that we should all be able to walk off unscathed at the end of the day and enjoy the apres-ski together too, that's all! It's just too easy for the adrenaline to make some folks feel invincible!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Butterfly wrote:
jdizzle, I'm genuinely glad to hear you had such a good time and your enthusiasm's oozing out of the screen! I'm not wanting to pour cold water on it, but would just like to check with you....

You adore speed/adrenaline & that's fine - but can you ALWAYS stop under control or take avoiding action if someone below you gets in your way - or if you end up colliding with them will you blame them for being in your way? Do slower people get on your nerves & do you find yourself wishing they'd get off your slope if they can't hack it? Let me put a scenario to you - the black you're whizzing down has merged into a blue at the bottom (not unusual) and you, invigorated by your speed, are desperate to get to the lift back up as soon as you possibly can - then as you scream round a bend, or satisfyingly launch yourself into a jump over a blind hump you suddenly find I'm there, right in your way, practising my irritatingly slow, wide turns on skis with several similar companions - collision course - aarrghh! Please tell me it won't happen because on entering the blue you'll have slowed down and you'll have tons of patience with those not fortunate enough to be as naturally good as you........ reassure me you won't frighten me witless by shooting past me, swearing at me (it's happened), you won't swerve as close to me as you can to demonstrate your skills and go off laughing as I end up falling because of it (it's happened)....!

I'm not a misery .......... I love having a great time and seeing others do so too, but I am keen that we should all be able to walk off unscathed at the end of the day and enjoy the apres-ski together too, that's all! It's just too easy for the adrenaline to make some folks feel invincible!

I think maybe i went about it all wrong, i had extra lessons out there which the instructor said that i didnt require them. From my mates who are all skiers, they said any help i could get is fantastic as "your" constantly learning. I followed their advice and continued on the lessons on the 2nd out of 3 i was put into the intermediate class. The lessons were only 2 hours long, but i felt i learn a lot.

As there were very large groups among my friends, i followed the snowboarders onto the black runs and they were very pleased with how i was attacking it and not afraid. For your scenario, this did occur where it changes from a black into a blue or red. This happened and if anything i found myself slower than the main group of boarders that have been doing it for years. I know it sounds very silly but i have all the patience in the world, if anything when something goes wrong i tend to blame myself in these situations. Another guy that it was his first time was in my class, as he was on our trip we bonded and gave each other advice although we were both "beginners" it was thoroughly enjoyable.

The two main boarders that gave me lotttttts of advice were great and were thrilled at how far i developed over the week, i do owe it to them as i look up to them greatly, it sounds cheesy but they are my masters.

Like you said on the blacks and reds i went for the adrenaline rush, when it came to blue and green i took my time not speeding around as there were people new learning the ropes, everyone is different when it comes to learning a new skill, i guess with me it took me less time to do so. I'm not perfect at it, i still fall over a bit but not as much as i did when i started off during the week. If anything i had a ski swearing at me for going too slow on a blue which i found disappointing but i laughed it off. I even went off piste out of the way of a group of skiers which i fell face first into the snow, i found that pretty funny and i'm sure they did too.I don't see why there is such hate for snowboarders from skiers.

I dont feel invincible, not at all, i'm not a big headed person if anything i'm very quite and keep myself to myself. I'm just there to have a good time make new friends in the process. I found 9/10 people on the slopes very helpful and friendly. The apres-ski with mates was sooo funny, went to a place called the moobar, spent 5 hours in there without noticing.

I cant wait to get back on the slopes and learn more.
snow conditions
My advice to you is save your pennies through the summer and get on as many trips as you can next season enjoy it and see how it goes, i too went from begginers lessons to intermediate after a couple of lessons (skate boarding backround) but im by no means ready for any sort of comp.... I thought i was good untill i seen someone who was GOOD, but if you are really serious about it you need to start planning your season trip something i would love to do but got to much responsability at home, my son is 14 iv taken him on two trips so far and and gonna take him every year now and gonna point him in the direction of doin a season when he's old enough, and of course i can go and visit him wink the chalet guys and girls seemed to have a good crack where i stayed in Austria they were able to board/ski from 12-4 every day with every wednesday off sounds cool eh??
What eva you decide enjoy!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy