Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Struggling...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I thought you were supposed to be working, not on Snowheads embarrassing me with all my cybermates!!!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ..... a bit bored with the working thing....and just checked the forum for a break....

Probably I should post in here more often..... wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alpski, You should deffo come for a week in the summer. JB1970 will improve his technique, you can ski around (or, dare I say it? learn to ski the carve ski???) wink wink Also, then you could focus your winter efforts on enjoying the longer runs and drier snow. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:

No, not if you start from the beginning and work your way through the drills systematically. But if skiers pick and choose the drills they focus on, perhaps on a misunderstanding of what's wrong with their technique, then I think even Fastman's DVDs can be used in a scattergun approach. I wonder how many recreational skiers will systematically work their way through all of the drills which feature in those DVDs, practising enough to become competent at each drill? I guess very few people.

We have a few... they may be exceptions...
1) is an instructor although he has only been skiing a year... last video we saw he was doing nice arc-2-arc transitions
2) is a "I never take lessons" type that has suddenly discovered a fascination with doing drills on his home "bump" as it is making the trips farther afield way more fun..
3) Graham N
4) a long time skier and lesson taker wanting to improve

That is all we know about so far (from emails asking questions and Graham N's post here)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:

I wonder how many recreational skiers will systematically work their way through all of the drills which feature in those DVDs, practising enough to become competent at each drill? I guess very few people.
Agreed. I now realise that, as a very occasional skier, who looks for other things in their holidays apart from technical improvement, I may not have made a very wise purchase.

Hurtle - you can do drills on run-outs and flats in "between" the real skiing.... This is what I do...

A buddy of mine who is an instructor trainer once responded on a thread asking "what was the best tip you have ever been given to improve your skiing?" His answer? "Don't waste the flats"

This is very true... use the "boring" bits of terrain to train - it will liven them up a bit also.... but you don't have to make it a task....

Me - I like doing drills.... but I don't spend all day skiing with Fastman doing drills.... we ski... and then on the flats I practice lifting skis and steering and stuff...

When it all is "not right" for some reason though I do a few drills and get my mojo back!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970 wrote:
Just in case you all haven't realised alpski is my partner (see his signature). As you can see, he is at the lower end of the posting scale!

He is talking absolute rubbish - I am not a very a good skier (he thinks I am which is due to the fact that his perception is different - something to do with being Italian!). He seems to think that if I come down a slope/the mountain, I am doing fine which I am not as you can see from my original posting (feeling out of control at one point and ending up just transversing across the slope instead of continuing to turn - hardly a good skier).

In his posting, when he talks about Salati to Alagna and Weismatten, he means Gressoney and not Courmayeur.

Charlotte Swift (Easiski) did really give me a lot of confidence and pushed me on a great deal when I was in Les Deux Alpes.

Don't know about filming me (will need to take a raincheck on that!!).

Personal note to partner:

I thought you were supposed to be working, not on Snowheads embarrassing me with all my cybermates!!!

Thought you were a bloke...............Ahhhh thats why you were banging on about being worried etc, sorry NehNeh My girlfriend is the same but shes much better than she thinks, in fairness the being frightened of heights didnt help (not joking) and for someone who doesnt like the cold (not joking) shes bob on.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MFC, dearie me, sexist or what?! He IS a bloke - have a look at his signature. Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle "go to bed" NehNeh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jb1970, I've just noticed this thread and I'll add some experience I've had myself.

Before this season I'd skied for ~3 weeks so this year I decided I wanted to to really improve my skiing and I decided to do a season in LDA. I'd have lessons with easiski, I would learn some drills and then spend practice them. I'd practice mainly on boring traverses / runs when I was skiing with people. If no-one was skiing that day or had gone home early I'd spend time on nursury slopes to practice. Once I thought I'd mastered the drills I'd go and see easiski again for assessment and more drills. For me, I guess it was like stepping through the drills on Fastmans dvd's with the added bonus of having the eyes of somebody with lots of experience to pick up those things that you don't see.

I think you need to decide what you want from skiing, if your happy to cruise then so be it, to me it sounds like your not happy with your skiing so I think you need a bit of time to set some goals, take instruction and practice. Although I planned to do this over most of a season, I think improvement is achievable if you decide that's what you want and lay out a plan to do it. Slope time and instruction are the only ways I'm afraid.

Unfortunatley I injured myself halfway through what I planned to stay for so I haven't improved as much as I wanted, easiski or the other guys who I skied with can probably comment on the difference in my skiing in 6 weeks. I'm on the mend from a re-constructed ACL at the moment, I just need to start planning what I'm doing next year Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

the added bonus of having the eyes of somebody with lots of experience to pick up those things that you don't see.

that's really important. At the moment I am trying out some of the drills on my own, and it's frustrating sometimes knowing that I'm doing something wrong, but not being sure quite what. But today was a miserable, damp, poor visibility sort of a day when there really wouldn't have been too much point in going out to cruise around and enjoy the mountains (what mountains?). I would have made faster progress (with my 180 slides) if I had had someone to point out that I needed to project myself down the hill a bit more and steer more aggressively. I did work it out eventually - but it's slow going. I also try not to "waste the flats" or, for that matter, the drag lifts when you can do quite a bit of hopping around, windshield wiper swivels, skiing on one leg, etc etc. And fall off, occasionally in the process - but who cares?

What's noticeable is that young kids do this sort of thing all the time. 360s dotted all over the place, skiing on one leg etc. One young show off went half way up a drag lift backwards, just in front of me, a while ago. hopped round, then after a while, hopped back again. Those kids are doing that stuff because they enjoy it, not because they think it's boring homework. That's why they get so good, and we elderly ladies make barely perceptible progress. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy