Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste Skiing - What are your favourite resorts ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
lab77, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead I am not an off-piste skier myself (not in the kind of way being discussed here!) but I thought I'd throw in Areches-Beaufort, a small and not well known area, but one which is highly rated by a number of French "hors piste" fans. You can get free shuttle bus from Albertville, with the lift pass. I visit it occasionally for a day on-piste - and was impressed with their new fast chairs this year. It's often freezing cold though, and can be sunless - that's why the snow record is so good, I suppose.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just done quite a bit at Sugar Bowl and Alpine Meadows (Lake Tahoe). I like the American system of in-bounds, off-piste skiing. It suits someone likes me who likes to challenge himself without having to worry too much about route finding or the threat of avalanches. snowscreamer was awesome in the off-piste: apparently nonchalant in steep, narrow gullies with variable snow: but that's just because she has great technique.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Craghopper, you're getting (or had) promotional weather here in Brussels!

I can't quite make up my mind if I prefer the renowned destinations with their amazing terrain but also masses of excellent freeskiers tracking everything out within hours, or the less known ones where no one skis offpiste. I tend to lean towards the latter, but hey, had a good time in St Anton last weekend.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
horizon wrote:
I can't quite make up my mind if I prefer the renowned destinations with their amazing terrain but also masses of excellent freeskiers tracking everything out within hours, or the less known ones where no one skis offpiste. I tend to lean towards the latter, but hey, had a good time in St Anton last weekend.

I skied with an instructor and a guide a couple of weeks ago both of whom normally work in Chamonix. They said that it was a very frustrating resort for off piste skiers because it was less than a day to track out the easily accessible terrain, and even the terrain you needed to tour to was tracked out in three days. I was being taught by the instructor and the guide in Courchevel 1650 which really isn't renowned as an off-piste Mecca, yet we were finding nice pitches of untracked snow 10 days after the last snowfall.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, shhh, don't spread the news, only motorways pistes in Courchevel, nothing else there, move along to the next thread Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, This photo may, or may not, have been taken the Roc Merlet ridge in C1650 Wink The red arrow marks our our high point (or low point, depending on how knackered you felt) for the day.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, wow. Point made.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
666, yes. Potentially my favourite ski day ever after more than 2 feet of fresh snow Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles wrote:
rob@rar, wow. Point made.

What is out of sight of the photo is the terrain we skied after we reached the big red arrow. To give a flavour of the day:

As was said earlier, just about everywhere will give great off-piste. You just need to find it, or pay for somebody to take you there.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
la plagne you dont even need to venture as far as the NF to get fresh tracks!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy