Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste Skiing - What are your favourite resorts ?

Poster: A snowHead
As the title says - where are your favourite resorts and why? Puzzled

Have just returned from a brilliant week in Engelberg. snowHead snowHead My first time for an off-piste holiday. Already thinking of what to do for next year's ski hols Toofy Grin - any suggestions?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Anton with a guide because there's a lot more to St Anton/the Alberg region than the bits at the side of the piste.

Scroll down for pics

http://www.pistetopowder.com/index.php?p=13-46-44&url=www.pistetopowder.com
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tarentaise (in general) - stay in BSM (cheaper accomodation, central location) and all Tarentaise resorts are within an easy drive - La Plagne, Les Arcs, La Rosiere, Sainte Foy, Tignes and Val d'Isere - different area every day, pick and choose the best conditions as you go along. Easily accesible - Eurostar to BSM, couple of hours to/from Geneva, Chambery, Lyon, Grenoble airports.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowbird, Tignes 'n Verbier; but these are also the only places I've been with a guide or on an off-piste course.

The lad in Tignes was really keen for me to go again next year so we could nip down to St. Foy for a day or two. He was getting quite giddy at the thought, so I presume it's a bit good.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ha ha ...good one..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Guvnor, now that's a good idea - BSM decent place to stay I assume? not been there for years. Don't need wild apres but a decent bar and restaurant or five would fulfull needs. Ideas like that might get me back to France Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gortonator, I stay 10 minutes up the road with friends, in Villaroger, where I can heartily recommend a fantastic chalet, but I know there are some decent enough bars and restaurants in BSM itself.....it's surprisingly good, actually snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gortonator, check out my "Steep Vanoise" TR - this followed the stay in BSM and travel around format and very fun it was too. there are still too many people around the Tarentaise for me to fall for it completely but there is a lot of fun to be had even for a misanthrope like me Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, I'm with you on the crowds issue, but there's undoubtedly some top terrain to explore
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Craghopper, Utah, Wyoming, Verbier, Chamonix, Praz-de-Lys (no I am not joking, no one goes off piste)...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Grave (what isn't off piste there), Lech, Verbier, Engelberg, Chamonix, had great fun a few years ago in Bareges in the French Pyrenees the pic du midi is one of the great freeride mountains anywhere in the World.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tignes, naturally!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Valdez...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think, despite the pita that Verbier is, it is pretty much up there for so-called lift served off-piste. You have to take your hat off to guys like Davidof and Phil Ingle but for resort skiing it's Verbier or Jackson Hole.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kicking Horse BC Very Happy
snow conditions
serre che! Wink
ski holidays
Oh! How can I persuade 'She who does not ski' to let me try out all of these places? Shocked Shocked Much flattery and Belgian chocolates might work. Currently writing this in the middle of the Belgian Alps (Brussels - visiting daughter). So I'm earning Brownie points for next season's skiing hols. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Caviahue; Chapelco; La Hoya; Las Lenas, Argentina
St Anton, Austria
Castle Mountain, AB; Kicking Horse, BC, Canada
Antillanca; Portillo; Termas de Chillan, Chile
La Grave, France
Kiroro; Niseko; Rusutsu; Sapporo Kokusai, Japan
Engelberg, Switzerland
Crested Butte, Colorado; Steamboat, Colorado; Telluride, Colorado; Whitefish Mountain Resort, Montana; Powder Mountain, Utah; Snowbasin, Utah; Solitude, Utah, USA
Brecon Beacons, Wales
snow conditions
Surely its gotta be La Plagne
See here, and here, and here, and here, and here. snowHead
ski holidays
La Grave, Saas Fee, Zurs, Flaine (but be with someone who knows the area very well because of limestone holes) Wengen, Alpe D'Huez (especially above Vujaany), LDA. Note how many are not the well-known 'off-piste' resorts, where any decent off-piste powder, reasonably accessible, gets trashed immediately. For that reason, I bet Jonpim is right about La Plagne, but I have not been there, so I cannot say myself.
ski holidays
Another vote for Verbier for great lift accessed terrain.
snow conditions
Anywhere with someone who knows... wink
ski holidays
JT, Zinal looked good Very Happy
latest report
Kicking Horse
snow conditions
JT wrote:
Anywhere with someone who knows... wink

Absolutely right Smile
ski holidays
JT, rob@rar, excellent point.
I thought I knew La Plagne pretty well, but this year John Arkle and Graham Woolley (SCGB reps) took me down runs I didn't know existed.
BernardC is of course in another league entirely.
snow conditions
Jonpim, interesting. Did you enjoy your reps' party days (or was it an SCGB holiday)?
snow conditions
achilles, Reps' Parties? They have parties?
Not invited. Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonpim, Puzzled

You said you skied with a couple of SCGB reps

Jonpim wrote:
...........I thought I knew La Plagne pretty well, but this year John Arkle and Graham Woolley (SCGB reps) took me down runs I didn't know existed........
ski holidays
achilles, I think it was a bit of word play ie different meanings of the word 'party'.
snow conditions
achilles, well, we think we know a few things...but then we find more stuff. I have at least 4 decent routes to check out and I just know that will open up other lines.

I will have to do 2 1-weekers there next year
ski holidays
Sainte Foy (obviously!), Chamonix, St Anton, Val d'Isere, Nevis Range.
snow report
Fernie, Kicking Horse, Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee, Chamonix, Monterosa......
snow conditions
I've just got back from a week in Verbier - my first real trip there (ignoring a booze fueled weekend last year) and was hugely impressed. As several people alluded to above there's an amazing amount of lift-accessed off-p that run back to the main valley without too much of a problem.

That's not to say you shouldn't be cautious though. There are several ungroomed but marked runs that the big cables serve so in theory you'd like to think that they're reasonably avvy-safe but we saw a few places, particularly a couple of the traverse run outs, that could be a bit hairy. There's never a substitue for having the right safety gear and some common sense, especially if you're not with a guide. There are also several places you can quite happily get away from the marked routes but need to be even more cautious.

Most of the big gondolas seem to be closed with high winds (I think we can let them off..) but since the areas they serve aren't accessed by any other lifts it means once they're opened you'll have plenty of fresh tracks even a few day after a fall.

BTW Hi all! first post here Happy

RIP Shane.
latest report
Not here - we've got enough freeriders already! Laughing
snow report
Have any of the people putting Kicking Horse been to the place ? The locals and ski bums are so good that anything off-piste is skied out 5 seconds after the snow hits the ground.

Someone put Grand Targhee. For a smallish resort that place really is fantastic. Had one of my most fun days ever there.
snow conditions
666 wrote:
Have any of the people putting Kicking Horse been to the place ? The locals and ski bums are so good that anything off-piste is skied out 5 seconds after the snow hits the ground.

Yes. Spent two seasons there (2001/02 & 2002/03) and visited during the 2003/04 winter.

Never had a problem finding fresh in and out of the resort.
latest report
eurozone, chamonix/stateside, vail..did both this year (just back from cham) and am now in the throws of depression..271 days to go until i get the planks on again Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Yeah, was in Kicking Horse last year for a couple of days. There wasn't much fresh pow but the snow was still in great condition. The bowls are amazing to mess around in even there isn't any powder. Just get off the lift, pick a line and go for it!

Went to Targhee in 2007 for two days and Jackon Hole for seven days. I thought Targhee, although small, was a cracking area - and it gets way more snow than JH!
snow report
Targhee is great fun - wide open terrain and great snow. I love it.

I actually tend to favor off the beaten track places which have good snow and terrain but aren't renowned powderhound/off-piste destinations. So eg give me Lech over St Anton, Snowbasin over Snowbird, Targhee over Jackson, Revelstoke over Whistler. All great places, but its nice to be able to find feshies for days instead of watching the local heroes eat the pow in 2 hours. I try to reserve visiting the 'famous' places in early or late season when not so busy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy