Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First trip to Les Carroz

Poster: A snowHead
Dear Snowheads,

Wife, Daughter and I are off to Les Carroz on 03 April and are hoping there is somebody on the ground who may be able to provide me with a bit of info.

It’s our first time there and we have chosen the resort as it is one of the shorter drives for us. We are travelling from Wiltshire, via Portsmouth-Le Havre, as it looks a shorter, more direct route, rather than using Dover-Calais. Essentially travelling A40, I think, using Carrefour motorway fuel stations at Nemours and La Ferte. Doing about 300 miles Fri, remaining 200 miles Sat to resort. Not yet sorted overnight accommodation but F1 looks good.

We are self catering, expecting to use the supermarkets in Cluses for fresh stuff as taking most of the dry goods with us.
All travel and accommodation logistics sorted, but not sure about which lift passes to get. Will the potential conditions allow us to get the best of the Massif pass, or will we need to get the Grand Massif pass which will cost us around another £100 on top?. Am happy to buy it, but as it’s a new resort for us I am thinking we will only just manage the Massif if conditions are OK. We are competent skiers, all comfortable up to “easy” reds. Black runs only for Daughter and I. I would be interested in some relatively straight forward routes which would show us the best of the region if possible. If all works out OK Les Carroz may be our regular skiing location so the Flaine area is not essential, we can do that another year.

As we are self catering we may use the picnic areas provided at a couple of locations, does anybody have experience of these at the (Grand) Massif, ie, are they covered, have toilets etc?.

We have our own ski kit, but Daughter will need boots, so any rental shops that can be recommended would be helpful too. Not intending to take any instruction, but may do depending on how things go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bas
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Basil, Have not actually stayed in les Carroz but have been to Flaine and loved the whole ski area as I'm sure you will. Marcellus is your man and am sure will be along to give you advice.
I have seen a few picnic areas provided, unfortunately I can't put my hand on piste map to tell you exactly where rolling eyes However, if you go to Flaine (and I hope you do get there), simply go to the top of the DMC cable car, walk across from the restaurant to the ropes on the other side of the piste, under the ropes, and there you will have an uninterupted view of Mont Blanc. Convert skis into sunloungers and enjoy the most divine picnic spot EVER! Of course, provided you have blue sky day.......
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh and then you have the choice of skiing down a lovely red Mephisto, or Serpentine, a long blue with lots of hills and thrills, great fun Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sure of the current conditions, and you haven't said how long you are going for?

When we were in Samoens last year at half-term and it was sunny - of all the areas in the Grand Massif as soon as the sun shone Les Carroz lost if first. We had the whole area pass, and we enjoyed our day in Flaine, but we didn't need it. However we commented that had it been the week after we would have needed it as the skiing in Les Carroz (our favourite area) was getting limited.

So, my guess would be that late in the season it would be worth having the area pass.

We didn't find any toilets other than in restaurants, and we didn't see any picnic areas (we obviously didn't look closely enough). We picnic'd by the side of the piste or bought a couple of drinks and some chips and ate our baguettes in the restaurants. We used the loos in the restaurants whether we ate/drink there or not and had no problems.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimom, Yep agree about whole area pass, at this time of the year.

One of the covered picnic areas was by the bottom of a chair by the road up to Flaine, Les Moilliets and also Vernant. Picnic rooms are marked on the piste map IIRC as Salle hors-sac.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Basil, so many questions such sore fingers, so I'll try and pick off the key ones;

Lift Passes
- Massif versus Grand Massif - really difficult one to answer it depends on so many variables. We (me, Mrs M and other Les Carroz annual residents) rarely go to Flaine but some days get to top of Telecabine and decide to go there fo no real reason. We've had clients amuse themselves all week by only having a Massif pass yet had others who have claimed the Grand Massif isn't Grand at all and too small for a week......... I guess if you like your pistes looking like the M40 at the weekend and you're late for a wedding then is there any resort large enough........... then there's the weather issue.... depending on prevailing winds you might chose to hop over the mountain and play there.....
- If who you've booked through is "registered" you should be able to get a free child lift pass for every adult pass if Grand Massif plus a good percentage off the 2nd adults. If they're not registered then there might be other but not as good options available (pm me).
- So does it all come down to money? - 2 adults 1 child massif costs €435 and Grand Massif costs €534... buying through a "registered" operator Grand Massif would cost €345...
- On balance I would buy Grand Massif passes as that would give you the most options and even if not discounted cost you a premium of €99 total.

Routes
- every time I go out I take a different route and again so many variables come into play........ weather, snow, mood, who I'm with, how long I've got....... no set formula really often point the skis and go where they end up........ I often suggest clients warm up in Morrillon as there's a nice variety over there starting with a 5km green all the way through to Blacks..
- I think most groups have sort of had a day in each part of the resort - Morrillon, Samoens, Les Carroz and then over to Flaine..... that's 4 days but you probably won't ski each piste unless you are in motorway mode!

Picnic spots
- As Lou, says piste side is great and lots of quiet areas with great vistas ........... several indoor pic nic areas.... some require you to buy a drink in return for eating your own food..... ones I can think of are top of Carroz, Samoens 1600, Flaine I ink they're all marked on the map.

Equipment
- we use Zig Zag Jacks who do quite good equipment at good prices and takes a lot of care especially over childrens boots... jack is a good friend, loves skiing (not running a shop) has his own children and knows what they can be like if their boots don't fit or they're not happy.
- Is jack the best there is in the resort I honestly couldn't say as I've not looked at the other shops due to friendship with jack.... I know he's competitively priced and when I've taken clients to other shops his equipment seems to be on a par.

Think that about covers most things hope it helps..

WHere are you staying btw?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all for the replies, and so quick too.

Fair bit to consider, but working out these things are also part of the holiday experience.

Marcellus, I will try to PM you.

Bas
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Basil, you'll have a great time. I'd advise you do get the Grand Massif passes as it gives you the flexibility of heading up to the higher areas above Flaine, which may be necessary at that time of year. Occasionally the links between Flaine and the other areas (Les Carroz, Morillon etc.) can be closed due to wind but if you've a car with you then that's no problem. Indeed last week we drove up to Flaine instead of parking at Morillon and had a great day's skiing even though the link from the rest of the GM was closed (Tourmaline run).

Completely agree with Lou regarding the picnic spot opposite the top of the DMC telecabine - a bottle of rosé wine stuck in the snow to keep cool, baguettes filled with cheese and ham, crisps, and of course that view ...

Others have suggested some good runs, and I'd add some of the other runs down from the top of Flaine - Crystal and Lapiaz to name but two. Plus the jam park in Morillon is a bit of a hoot, and not too serious!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

We didn't find any toilets other than in restaurants

Puzzled That's such a big fault in some ski areas. Basil, you are certainly well organised - fancy deciding in advance when to buy your fuel!! I used to do Portsmouth - Le Havre when I could go "free" with P & O courtesy of Tesco vouchers. I live within 12 minutes of the Portsmouth ferry terminal but find it a rather expensive crossing and the big disadvantage is having to transit Paris - then use the A6 down to Lyon, my least favourite autoroute. Your biggest logistic decision is how to transit Paris. Straight in and round the Peripherique, or round the ring roady thing which has a name I've temporarily forgotten. We usually did the latter; we did the Peripherique once, at 11 pm but it was still very busy. An exhilarating drive though and not for the faint hearte. We went the wrong way round because I'd not done my homework about the odd way it's signposted - but it still doesn't take long to get round.

Depends on the time; but t most times of day, be prepared for some traffic delays at Paris, no matter which way you go.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mfj197 wrote:
Basil, Indeed last week we drove up to Flaine instead of parking at Morillon and had a great day's skiing even though the link from the rest of the GM was closed (Tourmaline run).!

Hi Mfj why was Tourmaline closed ??

Bas, I have a season Grand Massiff Pass & I would not buy any other as they can limit you if you do wish to explore, I travel the whole range and I think its a must have if you are all OK skiers.

As for the weather conditions don't worry it is snowing right now and had 30 odd CMs Monday a lot yesterday also & it is going to snow on & off most of the week, the Powder is already well above the knees Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I am off to Flaine on Friday again, & can't wait!!

Lez Carroz is lovely & we spend 3 weeks in the summer in the GM too have a great trip
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brilliant these forums. Really good replies, thanks.

pam_w. Portsmouth-Le Havre Ferry cost us just under £200 return, with seats too, thought that was a bargain. Agree on the long trip but going round via Dover-Calais would take longer I reckon (on the ferry that is). Not decided on the Paris part of the route as yet but happy driving abroad so not too bothered. Surely it cannot be worse than Naples, yee haa!.

Mutley. I can see the point in the GM pass, just wondered if the M pass would have been enough.
Bas
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimom wrote:
We didn't find any toilets other than in restaurants,

Top of Les CArroz, bottom of Les Carroz, bottom of Moillets, Bottom of Flaine, Top of Flaine, Bottom of Morrillon, Sameons 1600... basically at every main lift station!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mfj197, mmmmmmmmmm Very Happy

We usually buy some warm croc monsieurs from the bakery in Forum and dash up to the top. It's always a long picnic there and lots of larking around in the snow. Last time, a rescue helicopter landed very near to us (they asked us not to move, only to keep down Shocked ) so that was fun for the boys although granted not for the poor patient who had come from the accident location suspended underneath and was then moved inside. We are hoping to get to Flaine for a day over Easter to keep us going until we holiday there again. If it's sunny in Flaine, makes a huge difference and you can forgive & forget the architecture in the resort Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Basil, we were out there at New Year and they have had a great year for snow. With your car I would get a whole area pass. We had that but did not use it as my kids had plenty on the Les Carroz side. Marcellus knows lots about the area as he lives there and gives good advice because of his local knowledge. We used zig zags as well and the gear was good It is a small shop though so booking ahead may help, but speak to marcellus.

have a great week
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Surely it cannot be worse than Naples, yee haa!.

no, I'm sure it can't! Our tunnel crossings usually cost around £100 return. Are you going on LD lines overnight? Their sleeper seats are quite good - a reasonably comfortable night, lying nice and flat. I was impressed with LD Lines as a "no frills" service; the P & O service hadn't been advertised as "no frills" but it certainly was!

Yes, it's less distance from Le Havre than from Calais - we do the short crossing both because of the saving on the crossing (with Tesco vouchers!) and because the motorway from Calais is so much less busy. The delays caused by getting through/around Paris take up more time than the extra miles, generally speaking, though it does break up the journey a bit.
snow report
Yes, taking the LD Lines day ferry which gets in at 1630 I think, not sure P&O run that line any more, well I could not find it anyway. Probably hit Paris at the wrong time but expect to do about 300 miles by 10 oclock. As it's our first ski drive trip I would expect to be able to tweak it somewhat in the future as I do prefer the Tunnel to ferries, we'll see how it goes.
latest report
Mutley wrote:
Hi Mfj why was Tourmaline closed ??

The reason given for the closure of most of the links was strong wind. I didn't ask about Tourmaline (not a run I would choose to do out of enjoyment but more out of necessity).

Whenever we drive down we go the Reims - Troyes - Dijon - Geneva route. It's 11 hours door-to-door from Farnborough if you use the channel tunnel, or an hour or two longer if you use the ferry (Dover to Dunkirk with Norfolkline is often good value).

Glad to hear it's snowing again Mutley. I've a season pass too and very envious of your upcoming visit back out there!
latest report
So jealous i have been back just over a week now and missing it/dreaming about skiing already.
As others have said Marcellus is the man, ski hire i have used Intersport online booking in advance bout 3 times now, supposedly saves you around 40%. Saying that, this year in Flaine used skimium (they are also in LC) who were quite a bit cheaper than Intersport.
With regards to the supermarket, we stopped at the Migros (massive supermarket and mcdonalds even a lidl there in a huge shopping area, all indoors) and just dropped into the carrefour in cluses on the way back. IMO migros is cheaper with a bigger selection.
For example of prices, we paid in Migros about 4.5 euro for a cooked chicken, in Flaine another British family paid 16 euro for same thing.

Definitely buy full area pass just because it is such a great area the relatively small extra cost is well worth it, you wont regret it.

One thing to note is you will probably become hooked on the area.

Keep us posted as i would prefer to drive rather than the hassle of flying but my better half will have none of it. Maybe after last summer driving to Spain as the girls got chicken pox so we couldnt fly.
ski holidays
Basil,
You'll love it Lez Carroz if my favourite part of the grand Massif. Especially the Corbalanche black run. I dream about this run everyday wish I was on it now. Its one you'll either love or hate.
I would get the Grand Massif pass too Flaine has some fabulous reds and blues.
snow report
MJF & Ian Badders you are right aboiut being hooked on the area, I have been & bought a place in Flaine, which was finished last year, I love the area,

As for Tourmaline, I love that run at full speed, I try with a couple of mates who live there grab the Gand Van 1st thing in the morning to ski tourmaline no one on it and it's perfect for a real very fast blast down, we do it 2 or 3 times then move on to avoid it getting busy, at lunch time and last lift time it can be a bit of horror, but you can ski down 70% of it on the left off piste then its fine Toofy Grin

Last trip of the season for me, I am going to do my BASI course at the end April/May as I want to get the level 3 & eventually never come back!!! NehNeh Twisted Evil

As for driving I always drive like MJF via Reims & Dijon, and I have hardly ever been held up including half term week, but I always travel early on a Friday and catch the 6 am ish Eurotunnel and I rock up to Flaine by 5pm if not a bit earlier!!! I never count the 1st 120 miles to the tunnel, its then 580 miles from Calais.

Can't wait
snow conditions
But you can't sensibly drive via Reims and Dijon if you start at Le Havre!

Basil, no, P & O don't do that route any more. When I did LD lines they only had one boat, which was overnight, and we took it rather than the tunnel (in the summer) because we wanted to drive down much further west and see the big new motorway bridge whose name has also escaped me (must be the three glasses of red wine I just drank with my steak, in between glimpses out of the window to check that it's still chucking it down with snow. wink ).
snow conditions
Yes, Tourmaline at speed and with fewer people might be rather better but I'm normally travelling it with people who approach it with a bit more trepidation, and normally as a traverse from Morillon. The top section is great for a bit of a blat.

Good for you in getting your own place, Mutley. Incidentally we went over to Avoriaz one day last week. I've been there two or three times before, a little while back, but it made me even more grateful for what we have in the Grand Massif - the Porte du Soleil was jam-packed with people! We left early ...

pam w, do you mean the Millau bridge? wink
latest report
Friends of mine are spending the season at Les Carroz and are blogging their winter experience. http://www.araches.blogspot.com/
There may be some information of value to you.
snow report
I've been the Grands Massif area twice, was last there in the new year, skiing for 8 days.

I'd say to get the full pass. You should go and do and the Cascades Blue route, all the way from the top of Flaine round to Sixt. Then bus back to Samoens and ski the rest.
ski holidays
tomstickland, Dont think Cascades will still be open this late Puzzled
snow conditions
Tournaline is a funny old run, it's great down to the first real bend where you can go either side of the chair pylon but after that can get a bit crazy, except for early morning.
snow conditions
I've said it before and I'll say it again. You lot are brilliant, love reading your replies.

ianbradders, What is, where is Migros?. I'll let you know how the drive was.

Just to give you all an idea, I checked the mileages on Google Maps. Westbury, Wilts to Cluses, via Dover/Calais 700 miles, via Portsmouth/Le Havre 550 miles. Suppose each route will have it's benefits in cost/time/fuel. As I've said above, I'll report back on the experience.

Bas

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 25-03-09 22:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
mfj197, yes, the Millau Bridge. Very impressive indeed, and worth a visit. Found a super table d'hotes not far north of it, too, so a successful trip - we were on our way to Provence.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Basil, Migros is at Annemasse.............. we've not used it as we tend to use the Metro (Catering Wholesale)........ Cascades is unlikely to be open but if we have some stupid late snow then it might be!!
ski holidays
Basil, as Marcellus says migros is at Annemasse, right off the autoroute blanc which you will almost certainly be traveling on. from migros it is approx 30/40 mins to les carroz.

use via michelin for routes and maps it is much better than most others for france. if you look for etrembieres you will find the migros.

pam w the millau bridge is absolutely stunning isnt it. went across on the drive to spain, almost worth the trip just for that.

RPF, did corbalanche as our first run last easter in knee deep powder, WOW, that steep narrow part just before you get back to sanity is awesome.

Mutley, intrawest montsoleil by any chance? great place i will take your details if you do private rentals please.
snow conditions
I used to do Portsmouth-Le Havre overnight a lot. Quick breakfast in Le Havre at 6.30, on the road by 7.00, very rarely encountered problems round Paris, leisurely lunch in Condrieu, and in the Vaucluse easily by tea-time. Brilliant. I don't know how much that would cost these days, though.
ski holidays
Ian yes Montsoliel, we fell in love with it when it was being built, I do have a couple people I understand who are doing private rentals, I am seeing him at the weekend as we are both traveling to Flaine & I will ask for you, he does post on here but I cant remember his user name PM me after the 5th of April & I will have the details for you.

Have a great trip, I am packing my bag as we speak off at 4am yipeeee Toofy Grin
snow report
Have a great time Mutley! I'm very jealous! Going green Hmm - perhaps I can squeeze in a quick weekend before the end of the season...
snow report
mfj197, I'm sure you will matey.......... 50cm of fresh powder is here right now!!
snow report
nooo - why couldn't it have fallen last week!
ski holidays
If you are after money-saving try www.snowell.com for ski hire - the kids stuff is free, which can make a big difference. We have always had good service and the kit has been fine - they tend to use Sport 2000 shops, so probably not the one Marcellus recommended. This year we were surprised when both the kids and hubby got new boots, as it was 1st March... we assumed they would be getting well worn ones by then, having always gone earlier in the season.

As for toilets - you are right, we did use the toilets at Samoens 1600 (most mornings LOL!) but I don't think we used any of the other 'main' lifts - hence why we didn't see them.

We did get 'stuck' the first day when we bought lunch at a small restaurant/shack at the top of Samoens and they had no toilets - after a can of coke each it was a frantic ski to the next restaurant to use their loos.
snow report
skimom, Thanks for that link but we luckily have our own ski kit, just need to hire boots for No1-Daughter-with-growing-feet.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy