Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What ski for lardy Hubby please

Poster: A snowHead
Hubby needs skis. I am fed up of going into the hire shop with him, trying to explain to the guy what he wants when he isn’t really sure, looking at what they’ve got and finding they haven’t really got anything ideal. He has ended up paying over £200 on hire skis so far this season and not been happy either time. I have informed him that he is now buying some in the sales for the Easter trip and if he doesn’t like them I will ebay them next season.

Problem is he takes very little interest rolling eyes . He is the exact opposite of ‘all the gear no idea’! He is a very competent, experienced skier, skis everything on piste well, skis aggressively, and enjoys playing off piste (mainly piste edges and between pistes, cruddy moguls), with only the very occasional off piste with a guide trip. He also spends a fair bit of time ‘family’ skiing with me and our 4 year old.

He is lardy too and he can never find anything long enough in a hire shop unless it’s also fat which he doesn’t always want (he says he prefers more length as he’s so heavy). He is 6’2”(1.88m), 17st 6lbs (245lbs/112kg).

He is seriously uninformed about skis despite me leaving the catalogues in the loo for him!

So it’s down to me to do the leg work (or else face the hire shop again), can you suggest anything please?

So far I am thinking Salomon Lord, K2 Apache Explorer, Head Monster IM82, Scott Punisher, Bandit SC80, looked at Volkl Grizzly but think it’s a bit expensive and unlikely to get a deal as with some of the others. Am I on the right lines? Also looked at the Rossignol S5 as there are good deals on it but I am wondering if it is too fat under foot?

Re. length 185 (or as close at it comes)??

Would be very grateful for your help, thanks!
snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=50180

Sorry but I had to do it. Of the Icelantic range I recommed the Pilgrim in 179. 90mm underfoot, great on and off piste. Supper playful ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kiwi1, No problem but I had beat you to it! I saw your thread the other week, selected the very same ski for him myself, thought it looked just the job and presented it to him.....he says it is too short for him. Now I don't know that, but if I push it and he ends up skiing it and still moans that it's too short I will get it in the neck!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like your hubby needs to demo some skis sarah. Respect to you sorting out his skis. My wife would tell me to sort it myself. rolling eyes Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kiwi1, thanks and I will let you know if I can persuade him. If I don't sort it I will just watch him throw money away again in the hire shop on skis which are mediocre.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
at £50 for ex demo skis from kiwi1 it'd be worth a punt IMHO.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, your husband isn't lardy, as he is in fact almost the identical height and weight that I am. He is therefore 'powerfully built'.

I ski on a variety of skis, mainly Volkl, and from what you've said I'd give the Volkl Mantra in 191cm a look at. It's not superfat but is certainly an All Mountain ski, it's the length that he wants and is also suitably stiff. Stick some Marker Jester bindings on there and you've got a really good set up for the more 'powerful' individual
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BGA, thanks, yes he is indeed 'powerfully built', although by his own admission is also a bit lardy too!
Thanks for that about the Mantra, I had considered it and put it to one side as being a bit too fat but I'm not sure? You're spot on about the length though, I don't know if it's a throw back to his 'Old Skool' days but he is quite determined about a longer ski.
kitenski, would be worth it in mine too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Mantra isn't hugely wide by today's standards, and critically is easy to get to go edge to edge, especially if you are a strong (or 'powerful') skier. You're not going to get the responsiveness that you would get with a more piste orientated ski but I've always found that as a bigger bloke I can get wider skis (as long as they are quite stiff) to behave more like 'piste' skis because I can apply sufficient pressure to them. I'm never hugely comfortable on anything that narrow or short
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm equally powerfully built as your good man and ski mostly on Movement skis as they are relatively sitff (for one thing). A Gladiator or Thunder might suit very nicely (I'm 5'11 and a solid 17st wink )
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sarah wrote:
He is a very competent, experienced skier, skis everything on piste well, skis aggressively, and enjoys playing off piste (mainly piste edges and between pistes, cruddy moguls), with only the very occasional off piste with a guide trip.

Head Monster iM82s would be a safe choice for all that stuff. 183 cm long, fairly stiff and respond well to an aggressive style.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't get this...he can't be bothered to research a ski..but moans about what he gets.....????

I agree with kitenski re the Pilgrims...for that money he is quids in straight away......

The Nomads I saw were very well made skis....

and if he gives you grief for picking his skis, when he can't be arsed himself, you should send him home to his mum,

kiwi1 is not spamming you, he is doing you a favour.. ..IMO..

And in truth, I think all the skis mentioned above have merit and are worth considering....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've got an unmounted pair of K2 Seths in 189 that I was thinking of selling for a reasonable price. I'm "very powerfully built" btw.

Graphics are puke making though - may appeal to his inner punk/disturbed teenager.

I am spamming but only in a cover my costs sense.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stockli VXL
Elan 888
Blizzard Magnum 8.7

all spank Nomads for this application.

BTW, if he's that powerfully built, how's his boot fit with regard to calf size?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah, I think the Salomon Lord is a bit soft. Easy to use but it didnt engage me. If you are looking at Scott check out the Crusade or the Neo they are stiffer than the punisher or the mission and a "powerfully built" agressive skier will probably get more out of them. I use the Neos and love them they do everything really well, superb edge grip on piste, floats well on soft snow and blasts through crud. They ski short so your man would be well at home on 185cm ish. (I'm also ski agresively but am less powerfully built and use the 176cm). Crusade is a bit fatter than the neo under foot. The crusade was the runner up in the Fall-line ski of the year (Nov 2008). The Lord won because of its usability by a wider range of skiers the it is clear reading the article that Crusade was the ski that really impressed the testers. The K2 xplorer was all mountain ski of the year. I've not tried it but heard a lot of good things about it.

Quote:

and if he gives you grief for picking his skis, when he can't be arsed himself, you should send him home to his mum

and I'll marry you Very Happy (just bring those skis with you) Toofy Grin
snow report
BGA, thanks Mantra is now on the shortlist, sold out in S&R throughout the company apparently.
barry, thanks am investigating, uktrailmonster, thanks for the vote for one of my shortlisted ones.
JT, thanks I know that kiwi1 isn't spamming me, as I mentioned I had already looked into his skis the other week and I have been PMing him. Unfortunately about the only thing that Hubby is sure about is that he wants a longer ski, latest he tells me closer to 190. So no matter about kiwi1's deal, his mind will already be made up and I'm wasting my time. It's not so much that he can't be bothered, he is mad busy at work, working away from home, and it's not a top priority for him he'll just hire again until he has the time to look into it. Strangely he doesn't seem to get the same thrill out of looking at skis as the rest of us here do Very Happy I am the one who thinks he's throwing money down the drain and am keen to get him something decent sorted before Easter. Also it will be his birthday in April and it would be nice if I manage to find a ski he loves which can then be his present.
fatbob, thanks will consider.
comprex, looking into these then, any suggestions on stockists? Surprisingly he has very long lean legs, calves not chunky.
RPF, Thanks, I will cross off the Lord then as the list is long enough and will look at the other two.

I am very grateful for all your help, cheers snowHead
latest report
sarah wrote:
comprex, looking into these then, any suggestions on stockists? Surprisingly he has very long lean legs, calves not chunky.

Ah. Good. That avoids the large-calf problem of too much knee bend where a skier feels really off-balance on a short ski, a ski very rigid near the binding or a ski without much sidecut.

Can't help on stockists, sorry (not local to you anyway).
latest report
I've bought skis from these guys before and been impressed with their service
http://www.untracked.com/p2655c44b53-09_volkl_mantra_freeride_powder_skis.html
Not as attractive now GBP has gone down the toilet, but still not a bad price. Took about a week for them to arrive, very helpful over the phone in setting up bindings and so on
snow conditions
Scott punishers come in a 190 but are hard to find.

Mantras are a super good choice in 191. Stiff and feel like a fat race ski. Armada ARV in a 185? Skis pretty true to length.

Most long skis are pretty wide as well. Volkl Gotama in a 190 but 105 ish underfoot.

Would go 191 mantra if he wants something long.
latest report
comprex, BGA, FREESKIER, Thanks very much!

My current lines of investigation are now the Mantra 191, the Scott Crusade 189 and the Punisher 191.
snow report
Some fat skis here .....
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/index.php?cPath=1_53_320_323&sort=2a&page=1

All-Mountain skis
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/index.php?cPath=1_53_320_322
snow conditions
Update:

Hubby plumped for the Volkl Grizzly in a 184. Decided he wanted something slightly more piste suitable after all. They were a very good deal in S&R and the manager gave him their 'suitability' guarantee which means that if he doesn't like them they will buy them back less a hire charge, so couldn't go wrong really.

They look impressive, the bindings look good. I am excited for him Very Happy I am also a fair bit jealous because I wanted the womens Volkl Fuego but couldn't really justify the significant price difference between that and the ski I bought Sad Having said that, having skied them last week, I am pleased with the Rossi Attraxion 6s I bought.

Will let you know how he goes with them.

Thanks again snowHead
snow report
sarah wrote:
Update:

Hubby plumped for the Volkl Grizzly in a 184. Decided he wanted something slightly more piste suitable after all. They were a very good deal in S&R and the manager gave him their 'suitability' guarantee which means that if he doesn't like them they will buy them back less a hire charge, so couldn't go wrong really.

They look impressive, the bindings look good. I am excited for him Very Happy I am also a fair bit jealous because I wanted the womens Volkl Fuego but couldn't really justify the significant price difference between that and the ski I bought Sad Having said that, having skied them last week, I am pleased with the Rossi Attraxion 6s I bought.

Thanks again snowHead

Glad you are happy, but it is a HUGE mistake to listen to anyone who works at S&R. I definitely feel the 191 Mantra would have been a far better choice, although i think the Grizzly is a good ski. Hope your hubby has fun on them.

Yes i hate S&R but for good reason.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 30-03-09 10:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
FREESKIER, Who are you and what have you done with sps89? Besides, surely someone at Snow and Rock has a clue or have you met them all?

sarah, hope he enjoys them, good compromise between piste performance and mixed conditions.
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
Update:

They look impressive, the bindings look good. I am excited for him :D I am also a fair bit jealous because I wanted the womens Volkl Fuego but couldn't really justify the significant price difference between that and the ski I bought :( Having said that, having skied them last week, I am pleased with the Rossi Attraxion 6s I bought.

Thanks again :sH:

Good choice.
latest report
arv, comprex, phewww... that's a relief thanks guys!
FREESKIER, don't worry we didn't take advice from the guy in S&R, we already had our shortlist of skis from our own research and the great advice on here. The only 'advice' he offered was that he would do the buy back guarantee if unsuitable. The Mantra 191 was on the shortlist but was very difficult to source(especially in that length) and by this time Hubby had decided he wanted a bit more of a piste biased ski after all. At the end of the day the Grizzly was a good contender on our shortlist, was just sitting there in S&R at a very good price with an almost money back guarantee if unsuitable. No brainer snowHead
latest report
sarah, good work - the Grizzly is a good ski and ticks all the boxes nicely. I don't see a problem with buying from S+R, especially when your purchasing decision is combined with all the additional snowHead s input!!!!!
latest report
sarah wrote:
arv, comprex, phewww... that's a relief thanks guys!
FREESKIER, don't worry we didn't take advice from the guy in S&R, we already had our shortlist of skis from our own research and the great advice on here. The only 'advice' he offered was that he would do the buy back guarantee if unsuitable. The Mantra 191 was on the shortlist but was very difficult to source(especially in that length) and by this time Hubby had decided he wanted a bit more of a piste biased ski after all. At the end of the day the Grizzly was a good contender on our shortlist, was just sitting there in S&R at a very good price with an almost money back guarantee if unsuitable. No brainer snowHead

Sounds like a good decision to me! Im sure he'll love it.

Sorry if im a bit biased against S&R. Ive been there a number of times and the guys dont exactly inspire confidence. They've tried to sell me some of the most unsuitable gear imaginable including skis which are about 25cm too short for me and boots a few sizes too big.

They seem pretty rude as well. I asked if they sold ski bindings and they pretty much laughed like it was a ridiculous question and were super sarcastic. Turns out they dont actually sell bindings, well only with skis.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy