Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets - cleaning them

Poster: A snowHead
While helmets are being quite widely, and heatedly, discussed at the moment I wonder who can give me advice about cleaning them. Mine - Movement is the make - is now in its third year and its probably worn by me for at least 12 weeks each season. I have looked in the book that came with it, searched the website, asked in the shop where I bought it - and all I come up with is gentle sponging with diluted soap and water.

There are so many experts on here that I hope someone may come up with something a bit more useful than diluted soap and water. Or perhaps there is a gap in the market that needs filling
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No doubt there are a few snowHead who know how to polish a helmet. rolling eyes Well, someone had to say it...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always use blood
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pamski, IN have a very good friend, she calls herself "Natasha", who goes a decent helmet job for £20 - no extras mind you. Problem is the stuff just under the rim, smells terrible. Once it's there though...

Or was that not what you were looking for.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, you are a very bad man. If you are not a man, respect Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When mine got unbearably stinky, I put it in the machine with some padding (gloves, snoods etc) on a cold 'handwash' cycle with extra rinses and just a little bio powder. Dried it on top of the boiler.

No harm done at all, the adhesives and velcros were absolutely unscathed and no obvious deterioration to any of the materials.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In shower: shampoo hair.

Run helmet through hair.

Rinse, repeat as necessary, dry out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven't tried it, but I bet that foam you get out of an aerosol for cleaning carpets would do a good job - rubbed in with the brush that comes on the end of some of the cans or a clean sink brush and then wiped out with some kitched roll, or how about a squirt inside with some Febreeze or similar?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My hubby's lid has a removable washable liner. problem solved.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can get a sanitizing and cleaning spray from motorbike shops specially for helmets. Or rinse with Miltons fluid.

For the outside.... Yoshimoto Purple Helmet Polish

It even states on the tin that "With Yoshimoto's Purple Helmet Polish you can now polish your helmet as fast as you like."

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=MTXYPU200
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pamski,
At the begining of this season I took out all the removable foam and velcro bits (just remember where they go for putting it back together rolling eyes ) then just hand washed those in normal soap powder. The helmet I just sponged down with same soap and water then rinsed with clean and let to dry out thoroughly. So far it hasnt disintegrated Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pamski, I'd suggest that after 3 years and 36 weeks of use it might be time to replace your helmet... In the small print that came with mine I think it said replace after a year, which seemed a bit extreme.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1 wrote:
Pamski, I'd suggest that after 3 years and 36 weeks of use it might be time to replace your helmet... In the small print that came with mine I think it said replace after a year, which seemed a bit extreme.

Especially if it's minging!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Doesn't minge, has been wiped out over the time - never been in conflict with another head, tree or the ground, I just thought there might be some spray or other - presumably, or hopefully, they use something in the hire shops!

I think replacing is a bit like buying a new cooker when the oven needs cleaning.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pamski, So I can't have a new cooker then Sad Shame!
snow conditions
The headlining on my current one comes out - just stick it in the washing machine. My first helmet I didn't do this, and it got really skanky, the lining started to disintegrate, then the foam segments of the helmet itself started to detach from each other (6 weeks, plus approx 150 sessions at the dry slope). MrsS reckons my sweat must be acidic to disintegrate stuff like that!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy