Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Absolute beginner, considering Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Acacia,

Thanks for the welcome.
I will keep a look out for the blog. Can't do much about when I go in April as I'm stuck with the school holidays.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The only downside for me was that a week was not long enough, especially as it is such a long flight from the UK. We are hoping to go again in 2010 but this time in April as I will be able to go for longer then. Any comments on what conditions, facilities might be like then would be appreciated.

We are just back from a 9 day trip to Whistler....we have been a lot before and know the resort pretty well.

Conditions were fine. The first two days we were there it was moderately overcast during the day with just the odd snow flurry. Visibility was fine. Each of those nights saw a snowfall right down to the village so conditions for those starting early were great. On Day 3 the sun came out and stayed out until the day we left. After a fairly poor (by their standards) early season, March was a big snow month so the base was good, if not great compared to the last couple of years. The snowfall overnight proved a useful top up.

Another dump a couple of days before we left would have been perfect but it didnt happen. We had to "slum it" in the sun. Conditions were usually hard to start with ( at say 9am) until the sun softened them up....then it was a case of follow the sun for the best conditions.

The resort was pretty quiet (by Whistler standards) when we arrived (which was midweek). We thought it would get busy at the weekend, which it did a bit but nothing to get overly excited about.The second week was busier, by the accents I took this to be the English school holidays..........the bar in which I saw the Liverpool Chelsea game was standing room only and they were not Canadians !

Restaurants were ok if you timed your arrival right, if not you were waiting for a table particularly at those looking to cater for the family crowd. From what I saw the higher end restaurants were maybe toiling a bit for custom......the credit crunch is hitting all over.

As is apparently quite normal for that time, there were a fair number of visitors from South America.

The resort is still in full swing in early April so you certainly wont feel like you are at the tail end of the season........though there are opportunities for getting new kit at discount prices as the sales are in full swing. Most places were offering 40% off with some going higher. Even with a fairly crap exchange rate there were bargains if you needed something new.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

........though there are opportunities for getting new kit at discount prices as the sales are in full swing. Most places were offering 40% off with some going higher. Even with a fairly crap exchange rate there were bargains if you needed something new.

Word is that this won't be the case next year. Most retailers order their new stock in February for the following season, and last February the usual large orders were put in before the credit crunch began to bite. Reduced spending this season means that a lot of stores have unsold stock on their hands that they're now discounting quite agressively in order to shift it.

This February, the orders were substantially reduced, so it's very unlikely that there will be so much surplus kit left unsold, this time next year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy