Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question for the instructors - should we wear helmets when teaching?

Poster: A snowHead
Spyderman wrote:
... exactly the same as working in an Ice Cream factory.

Free ice cream at Hemel?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
midgetbiker, they are called ski jackets and everyone gets to wear one Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, Aye but who pays for it? Shocked

Also if you get a nasty cold (he sniffled from his desk) does it count as an occupational injury? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And if your off work for more than three days with this cold does the slope have to report it to the HSE? Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
midgetbiker, the slope will provide their instructors and anyone else who works on the snow with a uniform.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
midgetbiker, all the slopes have pool jackets and full timers get kitted out with free gear. part timers at most places can buy a uniform at a discount, some give out fleeces... If you add up all the cash you make from teaching in a fridge then deduct the cash spunked out on replacing trashed gloves, lost hats, ruined skis and batterered boots you end up being able to buy an ice cream at the end of the year Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, for the love then?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
midgetbiker, at MK the Security guards get paid more than the instructors, so yes ....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
midgetbiker, no, for the hours, the skiing and the love
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
midgetbiker, slikedges is right as well. lots of people who teach in fridges are building hours or shadowing senior instructors which is a requirement as you go through each stage in the Training system. If you work full time it is very difficult to get all the hours you need in the mountains and at the entry level it is either fridge or dry slope time.

and yeah its fun. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret wrote:
midgetbiker, at MK the Security guards get paid more than the instructors, so yes ....

Why do you think that Ski Instructors are paid so poorly? considering the value they add to the business, without which they would not be able to offer lessons. Lessons being a key source of revenue for the business.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman, supply and demand? ISTDs aren't paid badly!! But then most ISTDs working at artificial slopes in the UK are probably in a management role, and paid accordingly.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc wrote:
easiski wrote:
rob@rar, It's amazing how many people who are getting off first refuse to let go of the thing though! Shocked 'Let go and ski away tot he right/left' - LET GO - LET GO - LET GOOOOOOO Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

So what happen when they don't let go?

Just curious...

Usually the unfortunate instructor has to hurl themselves off the lift and drag the second person off while trying to disengage their hand from the T! Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, I think the rates offered to ISTD are shocking. If I'd spent in excess of £30K training and getting qualified for anything, I'd want a lot more than the sort of rates than are being paid.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman, where? The ISTDs i know earn very good money.
ski holidays
I've heard that 50-60 euros an hour is not untypical, and maybe get 500 hours teaching per season, some more, some less than that.
snow report
I think Spyderman was talking about the rates for the indoor centres, not the alps.
ski holidays
Georgeh wrote:
I think Spyderman was talking about the rates for the indoor centres, not the alps.

I see, in which case he's absolutely right.
latest report
Oh ok. As I said above though, I don't think any ISTD would work full time in the UK unless they were in a managerial role anyway.
snow report
Georgeh wrote:

I was, as I'd responded to a quote by skimotteret quoting that the security guards were paid more than the instructors at MK.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:

Is that true ???. If so ... why ???.
I know a few people with an ASA, which the security people will need, and they've told me it takes a week (yes just 1) in a classroom to get.
So how can they be paid more than a BASI. I don't know much about the new BASI 1 (in fact less than much) but it must be harder than a 1 week courses sitting in a classroom for an ASA licence.
That can't be right, can it ???
latest report
wayne a basi 1 is a 5 day course at a uk fridge, but you also need a 12hr first aid course and a child protection course, and 35 hours shadowing. so it is probably harder.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy