Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

P-Tex best methods

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I had a couple of awesome runs in France this season and have taken a couple of chips out the bottom of my board.

I have a stick of ptex and an iron, scraper and scourer, but have never had to do it b4 so looking for some advice.

How do I fix my board?

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Skullie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boarderjim, for small dings, light the ptex candle, it should burn with a low, blue flame. Once it is, let it drip into the damaged area (dont let it smoke too much)
Leave to harden for an hour or so, then scrape 'till completely flush with the base

For larger repairs, it may be easier to melt the ptex on with the iron (from memory, I think 160° is about the right temp for melting ptex). Again just melt it over the damaged area and let it drip on

Hope this helps
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Patch, Should I then wax up as usual? Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just to clarify you will need a metal scraper for scraping the ptex once flush just wax as normal.
Ptex repairs are not easy to do well so might be worth getting it done professionally.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kevinrhead, Am comfortable that i can do it. Just need to make sure I'm doing it right. Will seek professional help perhaps this time and do it myself next.

Cheers for advice Kevin.
Shock
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For big holes you may be better with Ptex powder and an iron.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill, Should I do the whole 9 yards and remove all wax 1st? Then ptex up little chips and rewax?

That seems to be the way, but if so, what's best for removing wax?

Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

That seems to be the way, but if so, what's best for removing wax?

Most peope would use some kind of wax remover

But there may be other ways, for example a session on an indoor slope usually removes most waxes Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
srobbo, Cheers. Unfoitunately, heading to the hill on Monday so no time to get to Cas Vegas for a rip on Xcape...

Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
1) Clean your base first with a base cleaner (you can get these in spray bottle form at most ski/board shops). Just spray it on, rub it in, wipe it off, and let it evaporate. I often then wipe the base with a damp cloth so I won't later be waxing base cleaner into the base, but I don't know if this is necessary?
2) Light the p-tex candle and drip wax into the gouge. I often leave the part I'm gonna repair over a radiator before doing the repair, so that the base is nice and warm in that area (so as to better bond with the p-tex repair), but don't know if this actually does anything. When dripping the p-tex in, have your scraper nearby so that you can catch any spare drips on there. Also, if little carbon flakes are forming on the candle, wipe them off on the scraper, as these can worsen the repair job.
3) Let it harden, then scrape off the excess with a metal scraper
4) Wax as normal
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having just experimented with ptex for the first time, I'm in a position to contribute now! The trick appears to be to get the ptex held horizontally, not vertically. Also once it "catches light" it'll burn with an orange flame until/unless you get it down low to the board. Once at the position a few mm from the board, with a bit of trial and error you can find the optimum position where the blue flame almost stretches between the board and the ptex - then it's as simple as moving slowly down the gouge. I left mine for 20 minutes then attacked it with a metal scraper - it came up gloriously - really smooth and flush to the surface, all ready for a bash at waxing tomorrow!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have just ordered some wax and ptex candles for my first attempt at waxing my own skis, the main reason i want to have a go my self is to see if i can do it okay that way i can wax before and after i go skiing especially if storing the skis for a year.
Also as i just came back from Austria and i had my skis serviced while there and for 24 euros all i got was a sanding and edge sharpen no wax, this really cheesed me off as there were still digs and scrapes in my skis from last year, whos says they know best eh.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
in my experience you need a certain depth of scratch before it will bond....little scratches just pull straight out!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, little scratches just help with base structure anyway. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy