Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hybrid Bike?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
madmole, I already have a cable lock, designed for use with motorbikes so it's quite tough, but bloody heavy! I'll take your advice and try hard not to leave it unguarded. I also have a very comfy gel saddle on my old bike which over time has become perfectly moulded to the shape of my butt cheeks. That will be my first swap over I'm sure Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, don't bother with lock. Just keep an eye on it at all times. If you have to go in a shop, take it in.

I too use SDG saddles on all my bikes.

You will have to get some lycra cycling shorts to wear under your baggy shorts you know.

Your baggy shorts probably have the padding - it's never enough though.

Also you do know that your bike doesn't really have 27 gears don't you ? Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bikeandsnow, Re the lycra I lied. The baggy shorts have a 'hidden' pair of (removable) padded lycra shorts inside them Laughing

Re the gears, well my old '21' speed had 7 on the back and 3 on the front, but of course there was overlap between the mid/low and low/mid ranges etc. I assume the 3/9 config on the Trek is similar. Also I recall you should never use the top two cogs on the back with the bottom cog on the front and vice versa? Assume this still applies.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Axsman, too late to tell you about the virtually unused Marin Lucas Valley I have hanging on a wall?

any way - nice purchase... bet you will have a full-sus bike and be covered in mud inside a year... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoatsbrother, well I'll give it a go if the right lady offers Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Axsman wrote:
Re the gears, well my old '21' speed had 7 on the back and 3 on the front, but of course there was overlap between the mid/low and low/mid ranges etc. I assume the 3/9 config on the Trek is similar. Also I recall you should never use the top two cogs on the back with the bottom cog on the front and vice versa? Assume this still applies.
You could try this "gear calculator"...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Axsman, yeah, avoid using the small ring on the front (granny ring) with the smallest sprockets on the cassette. And the large ring with the largest cassette sprockets. This will force the chain at an angle which will accelerate wear. Besides those gears are provided elsewhere anyway.

As for your middle ring, you can usually use all the cassette sprockets with that. My 2 mountain bikes do not have a front mech - just a single ring at the front.

Get a good chain lube. DO NOT use WD40 for lubricating your chain - it's not a lubricant. However it is good for cleaning things.

This is what I'm using at the moment:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2608

I don't really have a LBS and I get most of my stuff from these 2 sites:

Chain Reaction
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com

Wiggle
http://www.wiggle.co.uk
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bikeandsnow, Thanks for the info. Very Happy

and for all those who have waited so patiently, here's the final result, complete with 'executive' (although somewhat gay) beer carrier. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy