Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stone me...I appear to be able to telemark!

Poster: A snowHead
Shocked

(Although I only appear to able to turn left! Laughing)

This is the first time I've ever seen myself on telemarks and, even if I say so myself, I'm quite chuffed. Ok, so it's hardly the knarliest of terrain (a stiff blue), but the overall picture isn't bad.

I'm nowhere near as low as I thought I was though. Room for improvement there.

My poles also look a tad too long. Anyone have any comments on that?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 22-03-09 18:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Feels nice don't it! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Result! Looks good to me. Well done.

Although, all I know about Telemark skiing could be written in large letters on the back of a very small stamp. rolling eyes

Cheers,

FunkyGibbon
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque wrote:
Feels nice don't it! Toofy Grin

Oh yes indeedy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FlyingStantoni, I can't comment on the technicalities but I'm glad you're still enjoying it. Keep it up. Cool snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How're you liking the helmet? Very envious of that! Poles do look a little long too - maybe it's the angle and contrast doing it... unless tele and being lower means shorter poles are better? The weird tele hippies here all seem to have adjustable poles?

Looking good, anyway Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaveC wrote:
The weird tele hippies here all seem to have adjustable poles?

What are you trying to say my friend? Mr. Green
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FlyingStantoni, Can only comment from weeks spent skiing with our tele-guy...

You don't seem low but if you are turning the shape that you want and need to then why worry? I think you'll go lower when you have to and when the terrain gets steeper anyway...as it is easier to get face-shots then... wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Poles could be a little shorter, drive more with the front knee it's just a little too straight up and down, more knee cap over the ball of foot.

Adjustable poles are nice but I break to many to use then myself on-piste.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT wrote:
You don't seem low but if you are turning the shape that you want and need to then why worry?

That's well put JT.

My point is that I thought I was as low as I could go. I'm clearly deluded and clearly can get much lower! Self-awareness and all that. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking good. I defer to pinhead on the technical front but I'd not worry so much about flying low - Paul Parker thinks its perfectly acceptly to have a high stance although the powderwhores and other video stuff you tend to see shows a modern "knee to the ski" style. Keeping your front shin angled as in pic 1 cf pic 5 is definitely a good idea though. Does it feel nice & balanced?

Your poles probably are too long if they're your regular alpine jobbies - one of the reasons I bought some fliklocks so I could shave 5cm off for tele.

The only other tip I can think is knee separation - try to imagine squeezing an orange between yor knees is one tip I've heard
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pinhead wrote:
...drive more with the front knee it's just a little too straight up and down, more knee cap over the ball of foot.

Thanks pinhead, I'm doing tele again later in the week and will use that as a focus.

I certainly feel it when I let the front foot get too far ahead of me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At the risk of being shot down in flames - why do people telemark? Does it offer any advantages over conventional skiing?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks fatbob. It definitely feels better when I'm driving that front knee. Much more balanced.

I hear what you say about the stance height. At the moment, though, this is about me understanding and developing my range of movement. I've clearly got another 6-8 inches of movement range. What I do with it is another matter!

I've got a cave full of poles of various sizes - so it's time to experiment.

fatbob wrote:
The only other tip I can think is knee separation - try to imagine squeezing an orange between yor knees is one tip I've heard

This seems to be a bit of a stylistic thing. Allen and Mike's book say knees together - two tele instructors I've skied with say knees apart. Any idea of the advantages of knees closer?

Any thoughts pinhead?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:
At the risk of being shot down in flames - why do people telemark? Does it offer any advantages over conventional skiing?

Free the heel, free the mind!

Drop knees not bombs!
snow report
Spotted these on Mediazone earlier, FlyingStantoni. Cracking knees, Gromit!

Did you pick this up by yourself or is it so different from regular Alpine that you have to start from scratch? I've wondered about tele as it can look so graceful but I fear that my lazy-*rse thighs would thrown in the towel within minutes.
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, Looking good. It's my quest to learn Tele when Hemel opens, it's P S-G's second discipline, so I'm hoping for a few tips. Very Happy
latest report
Megamum wrote:

Megamum, that's a bit like asking why people snowboard or snowblade, rather than ski. It's just different. Not better. Not worse. Just different.
snow report
andyph, I've been having lessons off Joe Beer in Les Gets. He's a BASI Telemark Trainer and great guy to ski with. Worth doing a lesson the next time you're out.

I've wanted to cry (through quad pain) many a time after a few hours on telemarks. Good for the soul and all that Skullie

Utterly fantastic when it clicks though.

Very Zen.
latest report
BTW - is it me, or does my left ski look longer than my right ski in photo 1??? Puzzled
snow report
Spyderman, more than happy to offer what humble crumbs of help I can.
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni, OK, I didn't want to lead the witness but I wondered if it was Joe. His big advantage is that he has no weight bearing down on his legs when he's telemarking, leaping around moguls or floating over powder. Oh, and he's a 5hit-hot skier.

Looking forward to catching up with him in a week or so, and to hear how Delilah's been behaving. He said she'd only had one "accident" indoors so far, when I saw him in Feb. Tennis, golf, snowsports, riding, MTB, electrician, musician and now dog-trainer, is there no end to the man's talents? rolling eyes
snow conditions
andyph, have you met Delilah yet? She is soooooooooooooo cute. And such a great pub dog. She (only) barks at children!
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
Megamum wrote:

Free the heel, free the mind!

Drop knees not bombs!

Sounds like a quote from PJSki's Staying Regular While on a Skiing Holiday thread Laughing
ski holidays
Scarpa, Laughing
snow report
FlyingStantoni, nah not yet, I've only had a couple of days in LG since she arrived. I'm sure my kids and OH won't go home without meeting her though wink

And that makes 500. Can't think of a (mental) place I'd rather be. Cheers! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Congrats andyph.

Invite Joe and Babs to the pub after skiing. I'm sure they'll bring her.
latest report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Congrats andyph.

Invite Joe and Babs to the pub after skiing. I'm sure they'll bring her.
That's a cert, we usually import a consignment of Babs drug of choice, Yorkshire Tea. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well done. Telemarking is something I've never tried, I've done xc, alpine, snowboarding & even blades Embarassed , but telemarking demands ultimate respect.
snow report
So you bend the knee - what does this accomplish wrt the ski? Is it to un=pressure it?
snow report
LOL andyph - tea and Marmite are the bribes of choice in Morzine / Les Gets!
snow conditions
ssnowman wrote:
even blades Embarassed

I think I can safely say that we're all sorry for your pain there ssnowman NehNeh

I don't know, though, XC has to be harder...
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
So you bend the knee - what does this accomplish wrt the ski? Is it to un=pressure it?

No but you do weight & edge heavily on the inside (rear) ski. If you're really interested I'd suggest working through this:

http://www.telemarktips.com/Lesson.htm
snow report
fatbob, I've tried the link - thanks, my network is running slow at the moment, but I've seen enough of the first video to see that it should explain lots about it, I'll give the vids another look when the network is not so busy. I don't think I want to try it, but I'm interested enough to want understand how and why it works.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:

Due to the free heel you can climb using skins and since tele gear is lightweight it makes it a good choice for longer ski tours.

You can mount alpine skis with AT bindings and achieve the same thing while having a locked down heel on the descents but alpine gear tends to be heavier.
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni wrote:
LOL andyph - tea and Marmite are the bribes of choice in Morzine / Les Gets!
Pah, dried goods are for beginners! While we still went with ctskifam's outfit we used to pay for baby-sitting with English back bacon. The smell of proper bacon and eggs for breakfast as prep for a day's skiing is truly unbeatable. Very Happy
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, Is this you? wink

http://youtube.com/v/7qkMn3jPa2E
latest report
How rude, Spyderman, I'm sure FlyingStantoni wouldn't wipe out riding tele switch in powder. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:
FlyingStantoni, Is this you? wink

http://youtube.com/v/7qkMn3jPa2E

Nah. Amateur. Taught him everything he knows.

This is me under my nom de plume. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
(Seriously, that Prevost video is my inspiration. Sod all this freeride stuff - if I could get anywhere close to this I'd be more than pleased.)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy