Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I pack my skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies for what is a potentially dumb question but I've just purchased a new ski bag for a pair of skis but I can't work out how best to put the skis in.

The bag is a Dakine Fall Line and seems plenty big enough for the skis, poles and other odds and sods.

Assuming that each set of skis are placed together as if you were storing them i.e with the bases together: I've tried to pack them so the skis lie with the bindings on the bottom and top and the edges of the 2 pairs together and then so the skis lie on their side and the bindings next to each other but neither way feels right.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I pack mine as you first describe it - with edges side by side and ski poles on top. You might consider wrapping the skis with some newspaper or old ski clothing if you are concerned about them rubbing against each other.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Put one ski in, put another ski in, put one pole in, put another pole in... zip up.

That's how I've been doing it for years. Although I now have a hard case and have to actually "arrange" the skis so they'll fit.

The most space saving configuration, which also happened to protect the binding the best, is to put the binding face to each other, with the ski bases facing the outside. You need some velcro to keep the skis in that position though.

I also stuff some clothing in the ski bag to make space in my hand luggage. Just be careful about packing them. Or they'll get cut up by the edges.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SCollier1, I've got the same bag so I know what you mean, put one set with the bases facing to the outside of either side of the bag and put the second pair in the centre with tips and tails opposite so you can fit the bindings in.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shot them in a ski bag.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd definitely wrap some clothing around at least the bindings, for protection, however you pack them. Some companies are getting a bit fussy about hard ski cases - don't know what your type is - in fact I managed to get 2 pairs of skis in a soft bag, with clothes, eg fleeces wrapped around both !! Good luck
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, agreed - the most I do is slip an ould sock over the tips and tails to stop the spyderjon edges ripping the bag!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SCollier1, I put a pair (base down) separated on the bottom of the bag (brakes banded back). 2nd pair separated one on each side of the bag (bases against the sides of the bag) and poles down the middle. Bubble wrap around the bindings and the boots. I put the boots in the bag instead of having them in their compartments.

Hope that nearly makes sense.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wrap our ski's in an old sheet and then pack some ski clothing around the package - we use an old sheet as back in 2000 I arrived in Jackson Hole with a new pair of pants cut in several places by a pair of newly serviced ski's -god why am I typing this poo-poo? -it's Saturday night must get down to our local for the last half hour or so and celebrate Mark Cavendish's win in the Milan - San Remo spring classic bike race. Roll on April for our next snow fix in Zermatt Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Those censors have been interfering again -freedom of speach? Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry speech -corrected by Mrs Snowbandit -that secondary school education has a lot to answer for Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
glacier queen, I'm interested to hear you say that some companies are getting fussy about hard ski cases as I'm thinking of getting one . Do you know of any specific problems or problem companies ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have both hard and soft cases. Used softcases this year as you can fill them with all the stuff that would otherwise take your check in bag over Ryanirs 15kg limit. Worked well. no damage. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Axsman, good point !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've seen baggage people at the airport throwing and dropping things without compunction, How about skis landing on their ends on concrete? Also two people I was skiing with last week had de-lamination of the tip or tail of their skis.
So I decided in future to put a bit of foam rubber at each end.
ski holidays
snowball,

I had a brand new pair of K2 Recons damaged by baggage handlers last year, looked like they had been dragging the tips along the concrete floor. Scuffed the top edges of the tips Evil or Very Mad
The worst thing was I didnt notice untill I had got home and it was too late to claim against the baggage claim deprtment Mad
Sounds obvious but make sure you wrap something around tips, tails and bindings and DONT leave the baggage reclaim without checking them over !
latest report
fast heading back to the hard case plan !!
snow conditions
Just buy a foam kip mat from a camping shop. Very light and will wrap around the skis. Tie it in place, wrap a few clothes around as well and zip into ski bag. Gloves and socks packed into the ends to protect the tips.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 22-03-09 22:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
get the wife to do it...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy