Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Split base in Volkl Walls?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I returned from freestyle night in the dome at Braehead Glasgow last Friday to discover some nasty damage to my 07/08 Volkl Walls. Sad

There is a deep 30cm split (definitely a split rather than a scratch) in the base which runs underneath the rear binding mount about 1 cm from the edge. It appears to be positioned where the side wall meets the core of the ski or possibly where the edge is anchored? One ski is significantly worse than the other but the same thing appears to be happpening to both skis... Puzzled

The Walls, as far as I was aware, are relatively park orientated skis. I know rails aren't exactly good news for a ski's lifespan but I really didn't expect them to fail so quickly. They've been used on the mountain a grand total of 8 times (when I didn't go near the park) and no more than 4 times on the freestyle set-up at the Snozone.

I thought perhaps it could be explained by poor technique on my part, although the edges are not damaged in any way that would suggest I was landing on the rails at a prohibitive angle... The guy at Skinboardroom reckoned that it looked like a defect rather than something caused by disproportionate abuse.

I'm going to take a trip to Freeze (where i purchased them) and see if i can work something out. Unfortunately the warranty ran out literally 13 days ago...

Has anyone had a problem similar to this? Or have an inclining as to where things may have gone awry?

Cheers in advance for any help.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
embramalc wrote:

Has anyone had a problem similar to this?

Looking at the ski from the top, does the sidewall appear punched out sideways at the base split (i.e. doesn't follow the rest of the curve of the sidecut)?

Do you notice an unevenness in the topsheet?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It doesn't appear to be punched out sideways as far as i can tell. The edge is maybe a mm or so closer to the brake arm on the damaged side. Whether the symmetry of the brake arms can be trusted is another matter.

There is also no discernable unevenness or deflection in the top sheet.

If you apply down/outward pressure to the base on the side closest to the edge, the crack opens very slightly and the edge appears to move, again only slightly, away from the centre of the ski.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, embramalc, I wouldn't touch it for repair until you got a Volkl guy to look at it.

FWIW, I _have_ had worse (on Elans) but it was all my sloppy fault for slamming onto the rail with an edged ski like a spastic Kung Fu Panda. Presto: vertical plane core delam.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not sure if it was last years, or the year befores Walls, but one year's had a bad habit of exploding. Volkl will likely warrenty...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
well you've been using them haven't you

it is 50/50 whether they warranty it due to the fact they are more than the year, but in most cases companies are pretty fair, it really depends on the damage and how it looks like it has been caused rather than how it has been caused...may be worth checking the household insurance...if you were on holiday then if it was deemed non warranty thne you could claim on that but as you were in the UK......

good luck
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM wrote:
well you've been using them haven't you

Yeah, but 4 times though? I would expect it after a season hitting the park.

If the ski isn't going to stand up to abuse on the rails should there not be some sort of disclaimer from the manufacturere saying something like "these skis may not be suitable for use on rails, damage resulting from which is undertaken at the rider's own risk"?

Good shout with the insurance thing, but I don't live at home and they won't be listed in the contents... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
embramalc, The problem is skis are designed for use on snow. Although rails are a normal part of jibbing and companies are doing as much as they can to strengthen skis for rails, sliding on metal tubes is still not a natural thing for a ski.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
embramalc, all comes down to how you hit the rail, most ski companies are pretty fair about warranties though..... do you not have contents insurnace where you live????
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy