Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fischer boots - how do I use the forward lean adjust (FLA)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My boots have this on the back - I thought I'd be able to shift the upper section of the boot once the allen bolts were loose, but it doesn't seem to want to budge and I don't have a manual... A pic of the bolts is here:
http://www.fischer-ski.com/en/technology_popup0607.php?id_technology=2323
I want to do a trial with the boots in a more forward leaning position so thanks if anyone can help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Basil Short_trousers, the fischer boot has excessive forward lean in its upright position,

from what i remember [and it has been a few months since i took one to bits] you need to take the screws out completely and manually move the receptor that is behind them it runs on a toothed slide...if not that then you need to loosen them loads then force the boot into a forward position then tighten them

the metal section that you show in the picture will extend below the cuff of the boot and it is this which prevents the cuff becoming more upright
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the quick reply. I think my boots are set to a minimum lean (more upright) position because it looks as if it should be possible to push the cuff forward and lift the back of it off the base of the boot with the metal bit holding it in place. Do you think I need to loosen the adjustable canting allen bolt on the side, or perhaps I'm not using enough force to move it? I've posted a pic here of the boot with the metal plate removed:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yCFZwOLDD15c7ugsmv_rEw?feat=directlink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
the ridges on the plastic key into the back of the metal plate, the two buried inserts in the boot slide up and down in the slots, you need to manually force the cuff forward [put the toe of the boot on the ground and push the top of the cuff forward with your hand, then reinsert the plate , the bottom of the metal palte will sit around 3-4mm lower than the bottom of the cuff plastic, it is this that stops it coming upright

as i said, the fischer boot has massive amounts of forward lean on it in the first place, why do you want more?? if it is to get your weight forward then abandon this idea and actually lift the toe of the boot or flatten out the binding delta, or if your calf measures more than 14" circumference have the cuff flared back to take the pressure off it

pushing the cuff forward can move the body past its comfort zone and cause you to get in the back seat as a compensation

good luck
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for that - I just had to be more confident about using brute force, in the end I changed it with the boots on and by digging my heel into the ground while pulling on the toe section. I'm not sure if I like the new setting, I will try it out for a few days but will then most probably revert back to original.

You're right about me playing around with moving my weight forward and trying to bend my knees more, I have a feeling that I'm doing something wrong but I'm not quite sure what it is and whether it's technique (most likely) or posture or balance or equipment, so I'm playing around with a few things including the settings of the boots. I hadn't heard of binding delta before, and it's very interesting what you say about calf measurement, mine are 15" (I'm 189cm 6'2" 84kg 13 stone if relevant) and I hadn't considered myself as having large calves before. I realise that ultimately I'm going to have to get some expert advice from a boot fitter and instructor.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm not sure exactly what the forward lean on the fischer boot is but my best guess would be around 16-17 degrees....on the set up of a 14degree boot the cuff of the boot is ideally suited to a leg with a circumference of 13"-14" at the top of the liner, for every 1" increase in circumference above the 14" the leg is pushed forward by 1/3" [9mm] By flaring the cuff of the boot back this allows you to let the leg sit where it should and keeps your centre of mass in the correct place, tipping the cuff further forward just increases this problem

as the cuff is pushed forward the lower leg is pushed forward, if this goes past the point of keeping in ideal balalnce the compensation is to drop the hips back

bindign delta increases the effect of the cuff being pushed forward, if on a rental ski the delta will be increased from that on a retail binding, all binding models are different but as an example the older look turntable style bindinga have a differencial of 5mm between heel and toe, if you have a large boot then this angle is not huge but if a small boot it is much more noticable
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OMG you're right - you've made me realise the errors in my thinking.

I have at times noticed the cuff pushing into the back of my calves and from that had assumed that I was standing too upright and leaning too far back. But in actual fact from what you're saying it might just be that my natural centre of balance is more towards the back of the boot and the cuff is actually getting in the way of my big calves.

Also - I had assumed that if I put myself into a more crouched position then my weight would be pushed forward because I'm leaning more forward, but of course I'll also be sticking my bum out behind to compensate so the end result is that I'm still firmly standing on my feet (and of course if my thinking had been correct then every time we as human-beings went into a crouch we'd fall over onto our faces!) So adjusting the lean probably wasn't going to solve anything anyway.

I've just looked up the specs for my boots and the stock setting is 15 deg with a maximum of 18 deg, but also they have a rear spoiler which can be removed for people with big calves! So I'll go back to the stock lean settings and remove the spoiler and trial that instead.

Thank you very much for the detailed replies!!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi there, hi-jacking the thread slightly, I,ve just measured my calves at 15". last year skiing my instructor was continually trying to get me to stand taller and said I skiid in a very crouched position. Now I'm by no means an expert skier and I'm constantly working hard on technique wih an instructor. Do you think the reasons mentioned above could play a factor in my crouch. I have Nordica Beast 10s, do you think it's worth me seeing a boot fitter before i go on hols next week. And if so where is a good one near Leeds. Thanks in advance. Mat
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MJS, definately a possibility, at 15" you are being pushed forward by around 1/3" [9mm] first thing to try is to remove any spoilers that may be in the boot, then find someone who will flare the boot backwards...be prepared for the average fitter to look at you like you got off a space ship, many do not understand fore aft balance and will not think it is required, as far as i know i currently have the only tools specificly for stretching the cuf of a boot back as a pair identically, loads of places use a rugby ball or a pair of vice grips but few want to invest the cash and get the correct tools
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM, Thanks I'll look into that and try to get down to you some time soon!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arsed around with my boots yesterday and removed the spoilers. Just standing in them at home I think it will make a difference. We shall see next week on the mighty Milky Way!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy