Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

touring bindings vs alpine downhill bindings?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
fancy some alrounder skis, maybe Rossi SC80 ladies, but likely to move towards trying touring next season, and a techie told me that because these come with downhill bindings on a rial, that meant i couldnt retrofit touring bindings as the screws would be too long and would be weakened by filing down for them to fit. Soooo, next idea is to go for touring binding (on a different ski model - any suggestions?) from the start but thsat would mean tanking around pistes, doing moguls and through trees on touring bindings. Would that be noticeably different / disadvantageous?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want touring bindings that will stand up to a lot of piste bashing too then avoid dynafits and go either for fritschi freeride or the heavier marker duke/baron (probably the latter unless you're a very large and aggressive bitoffluff!). I have freerides on a pair of K2 coombas and they have proved excellent. They do everything I want them to. The skis seem responsive as ever, they release when I wipe out and have never released when I haven't. The touring mechanism is easy to use and you can move from tour to downhill mode without taking the skis off. They are not ultra light but then I use them mainly around the resort and for occasional touring only. As for skis, can't say I'm an expert on womens models but no doubt you'll get some other tips. Have fun!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends how much of what you want to do..

A hour here and there uphill, get the markers, no question. They are a far better downhill binding that FR+ or Naxos , IMV but they are heavier which you wil pay for when going uphill....
They have no slop in the toe and you get a far far better connection to the boot, IMV.

If you plan on going further then your compromise needs to lean towards lightness over performance and the Markers wil lose out unless very fit and strong.

The other thing to consider is how wide a ski...?? Lots of uphill will want a leaner ski around 80mm...but for the occasional huff and puff uphill then you might get by with 100mm.

Basically uphill and downhill quests are opposites in term of skis and binders, so pick what you want to do most..get a set-up that will do that well or very well..and compromise for the occasional other side of the coin...IMO

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 20-03-09 23:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would dispute the suggestion that you should avoid Dynafits. Either Barons (assuming you are a lady Cool ) or Dynafits would be my choice - Fritschis are too much of a compromise on the uphill and the downhill IMV
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bitoffluff, I have some barons on one pair of skis - They are all but indistinguishable from normal alpine bindings going downhill. Seem to go pretty well going uphill. Only disadvantage apart from weight is not being able to lock down without taking them off. But they don't unlock themselves the way I have seen AT bindings do, sometimes with expensive results.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy