Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot fitter recommendation in Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I am off to Whistler on the 1 April and need new boots, can anyone recommend a good boot fitter there please.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fanatiko [sp] is the best place in town
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agreed. When I went for my boots there I really wasn't sure as they felt a bit tight. I insisted on trying the next size up and in the end he relented to let me try them but said he wouldn't sell them to me. I bought the smaller pair and have not looked back since - they are perfect and that was 5 years ago. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM, would you consider a Dalbello Krypton Cross the right boot for an 55kg 1.75m intermediate female experienced but not aggressive doesn't like speed prefers not to go off piste and only just learning to leave tracks?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges, depends on their footshape of course and the ability to bend the boot, some people have a natural ability to bend a boot others just play at it Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM, I thought it was a fairly stiff men's boot. Are there not a few other boots even in the Dalbello range that might suit a lightish non-aggressive intermediate female better?

Hint: http://www.dalbello.it/Women.aspx

The Krypton Cross is a high-end men's boot, is it not, judging by their men's range?

http://www.dalbello.it/Men.aspx

It's described as "slightly more forgiving in fit and function than the Krypton Pro" which is described as "has been developed for top level, aggressive and accomplished expert freeride skiers and competitors seeking a close and precise fit with powerful and responsive energy transfer."

Surely the Krypton Cross would be very far indeed from first choice for a lightish non-aggressive intermediate female?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks I ll go to fanatiko, anyone in particular there to ask for?

Also if my feet a supinated what should I expect them to recomend? a boot fix or wedges under the bindings?

thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
njl1968, it's Fanatical I think.

Personally I think George McKonky in McCoos is the guy to go to. Ex-WC circuit bootfitter. He doesn't sell boots, he only fits them - so you get sent out with a shopping list of boots; you tell the store that George sent you; they provide you with 3-4 pairs; George selects the appropriate pair and then fits them.

Actually, "fits them" is a bit of an understatement as he does a shell fitting. It really is quite an experience watching it happen.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There used to be a guy at snowcovers who had a very good rep too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowcovers is supposed to be good if you want boots foamed.

SureFoot (SoreFoot) don't have a good reputation.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FWIW had some boots fitted at Snowcovers, Vancouver in Jan 08. Excellent service, fit & price.

No foaming, just footbeds and a bit of stretching/grinding. Good price probably helped by the fact Mrs 1g and I both bought skis & boots.

Can't comment on service in Whistler as we headed for the Okanagen.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges, sorry i missed the cross bit...just read krypton

based on the description then prehaps the storm would have been better
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Personally, I wouldn't use Fanatyk Co. Wouldn't feel I could trust their attitude, whatever their knowledge/skills.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't use Fanatyk Co. Wouldn't feel I could trust their attitude, whatever their knowledge/skills.

care to expand,

they have a pretty good rep amongst the boot pros over on epic

fatbob the guy at snowcovers is jay Taylor, he runs the place, another great fitter in Whislter
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM, care to expand on my questions? If the storm would suit my descriptor, just who would all that long list of lesser women's boots in the dalbello range suit?!!
snow conditions
fatbob,

Do you have mens 24.5 for narrow heel, meduim forefoot, med high instep, 90-100 flex, performance boot in stock?

Cheers

NJL
latest report
Nope - I do have some old Garmont Veloce tele boots in a 28.0 I can let you have

(I'm not a bootfitter nor work in a store btw, CEM on the otherhand wink )
latest report
Sure foot gave me my money back the fit was so bad... Avoid them
snow conditions
slikedges being as your question was not related to the OP then not sure if i should bother, but

different boots in the dalbello range are like different boots in every boot range, the krypton series are 98mm in the forefoot the other boots on their site are different lasts upto 105mm [read bucket] the flex on the storm is varaible upwards from 75, not a stiff boot in any way, so yes i would say that it fits the profile pretty well, assuning the foot shape was applicable

boot manufactures seem to have this idea that lower perfomance skiers have wide feet and all beter skiers have narrow feet, i think dalbello actually have it pretty close to good, they have the storm a narrow last in a softer flex

njl1968, at this time of the season affraid to say none left [it's a nice position to be in] i will have a few of next seasons in the next month or so, but mainly race or boots based on race shells as these are available early
snow conditions
CEM, not doubting what you say re: 75-105 progressive flex feature of Storm but even Dalbello have all their lower performance boots as wide fit and some of their own descriptors of those that are lower down the women's range do sound like they would suit my own description of lightish non-aggressive intermediate female (ie not high performance) more accurately!

Anyway, I was really referring to this question:

slikedges wrote:
Surely the Krypton Cross would be very far indeed from first choice for a lightish non-aggressive intermediate female?
latest report
slikedges, it is impossible to say without seeing the person flex the boot, but the cross as a mans/unisex boot so probably wouldn't be my first choice but stranger things have happened.....

the next thought is that unless said intermediate had larger feet than her stature would suggest then she is probably in a boot a size big [or the shop had a small pair kicking around] if the boot is big then the flex rating may as well be flung out the window as the shin will not contact the shaft of the boot correctly and therfor cannot flex the boot properly

most boot ranges are all over the place in terms of fit/performance I don't stock a boot below a 75 flex as there is seldom call for it from the skiers that i see, if i find a client who needs a softer boot i will either direct them towards a boot from elsewhere or soften the one we have that fits the foot shape
latest report
CEM,

Quote:
...but the cross as a mans/unisex boot so probably wouldn't be my first choice but stranger things have happened.....

Fanatyk co apparently didn't have anything else that fit the foot shape apart from the Krypton Cross and were pushing it.

I suggested politely (you've met me - have I ever been rude to you other than when you deserved it? wink ) that a next to top of the range men's boot [which I admittedly only later discover is described as "slightly more forgiving in fit and function than the Krypton Pro" which is their top boot described as "has been developed for top level, aggressive and accomplished expert freeride skiers and competitors seeking a close and precise fit with powerful and responsive energy transfer"] might not be the best choice for a 55kg non-aggressive intermediate female who avoids speed and off piste. They got huffy. Then rather rude and quite unprofessional.

Not an exact analogy I know but I liken it to seeing a "top" surgeon who you get the feeling wants to practise an operation on you whether you need it or not then gets huffy when you won't simply play along. I'm sure there are other boots, probably not from the Dalbello range, that are an equally good fit but more appropriate performance level. Good shop? I don't think so. A good shop wouldn't push something of dubious suitability just because that's all they had in and they wanted to make a sale.

Quite remarkable considering the excellent customer service my party had from just about everyone else in and out of every other establishment I visited over my 2 weeks in Whistler (and we went a lot of places and did lots of things, incld buying a whole new set of everything from various shops to replace stuff lost courtesy of BA T5 but that's another story).
ski holidays
slikedges, from what i have heard about them that does seem strange but all it takes is one over enthusiastic sales guy to stuff a shops reputation
snow report
CEM, possibly, but I asked to speak to the boss and a smug guy with a beard came out and basically told me and my questions to go stuff ourselves. Dunno if he really was the boss, but whilst he sure didn't mean to do me any favours, I don't think he did himself any either in these increasingly hard times. One meets all sorts in the hot tubs of the Fairmont. I do take your point though that this is just a single experience.
ski holidays
njl1968 wrote:
Hi,
I am off to Whistler on the 1 April and need new boots, can anyone recommend a good boot fitter there please.

Thanks

Backing up the FlyingStantoni, (Cartman?) George at McCoos - but he may want to put you into intuition liners. Glen at Can Ski (Creekside), Erin at Can Ski (Village), Jay at SnowCovers.

There is one guy at Surefoot who is well regarded - don't know him though.

Thing is Surefoot, Can Ski, Snowcovers also employ their fair share of lemmings who are, well, a bit rubbish. You need a name. Don't know anyone who has used Fanatyk Co so can't help with them.
snow report
Kenny wrote:
Cartman?

Yep.
ski holidays
Have also heard names Stan and Kyle mentioned.
latest report
Thanks for the names, I have contacted snowcovers and Fanatyk, Snowcovers do not have any mens boots my size(24.5), Fanatyk say they have performance boots in my size maybe mens or woemns I guess! I have a feeling I maybe unlucky in which case I ll be going to CEM in autumn!

Is there a problem with 'intuition liners' or is it an mostly uncessary expense?

Any thoughts on weather cant wedges under the bingings, or sole grinding is best to counter supination?

Cheers
NJL
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
njl1968, no worries! BTW my names work towards the southern park of the town.
snow conditions
njl1968, nothing wrong with intuition liners but they aren't by any means necessary for everyone. they do seem to have attained the status of a religious cult amongst some skiers though
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy