Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SnowTrain: Moutiers bus connection?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm getting the SnowTrain tomorrow and it arrives in Moutiers at 8:02am. And yet there's a bus at 8:00am to Courchevel, etc.

Does anyone know if it's normally possible to make the connection?

Does it require leaping off the train at the earliest moment, and scarpering for dear life to the bus stop (for which one must have excellent local knowledge of precisely where the bus will be waiting and what it looks like)?

Or do you have to buy tickets at the ticket office beforehand anyway, which means there's no chance of getting it?

Will I have to get the 10:45am bus and miss a morning's skiing... Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
crosbie, you need to get tickets at the office beforehand AFAIK... not sure if it's possible to get them online though. Someone else might know?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TallTone wrote:
crosbie, you need to get tickets at the office beforehand AFAIK... not sure if it's possible to get them online though. Someone else might know?

Ta. After further research it seems that on Saturdays it's a 7:45am bus anyway, and then a 10:45am bus.

It is possible to get tickets online, but not within 7 days of travel.

I think this means a very long breakfast awaits.

I guess the local taxi company may have paid the bus company not to run buses for a couple of hours after the snow train arrives. wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
crosbie, The few times i have taken the bus up it hasnt been bang on time and really depends on how many are coming on but 20 minutes may be too long.

there may be a few in teh same boat and clubbing together for a cab up isnt much more expensive.....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret wrote:
crosbie, The few times i have taken the bus up it hasnt been bang on time and really depends on how many are coming on but 20 minutes may be too long.

there may be a few in teh same boat and clubbing together for a cab up isnt much more expensive.....

Thanks SkiMottaret, that's helpful.

Is it obvious when you disembark the SnowTrain and exit the Moutiers station where the heck you go to get bus tickets?

I've done the SnowTrain before, but that time there was a prebooked transfer coach.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
crosbie, how odd. I've done the train journey many times, and assumed there was always a bus waiting for each train.
But it seems I was mistaken. Two sources confirm your fears: Courchnet.com and Transvoie.com show there is no bus to meet the snowtrain.
(Your 0800 bus doesn't run on Saturdays).
I think the problem is you are on the Snowtrain. This is a Raileurope charter train, and usually dominated by Travel Companies who provide their own transfer buses at the station.
If instead you went out by the overnight SNCF service that departs from Gare Austerlitz at 22.52, you would get into Moutiers at 0703, and so comfortably make the 0745 bus after a refreshing coffee and croissant in the station cafe.
(You would also have saved some money, as the Snowtrain is considerably more expensive than booking the Eurostar and SNCF service separately).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
crosbie, cant miss it, the station is really small and the bus terminal bit is just out front
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
crosbie, cant miss it, the station is really small and the bus terminal bit is just out front

Thanks. Just what I needed to know. I thought I might have to walk into some town square for a tourist office to buy tickets or sommat.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim, doh. If only I'd known! Sad

I booked last minute a couple of days ago. There was a 50 quid discount on the SnowTrain, so I thought what with last minute Eurostar Paris tickets likely to be 200 quid each in any case, plus iffiness about the Austerlitz train (though if I'd had time, I would have checked out the prices), that it was simpler to opt for a single telephone call. Not a happy bunny to find that they add 10 quid to the SnowTrain price for postage and say it's compulsory - so why not include it in the price??? It came to £229.

It's a bit of a pain I have to hang around Moutiers for almost three hours. Maybe it's a back-hander to a tour rep? Which ones are the least well paid, and most amenable to a little extra cash? wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
crosbie, it will be dead except for the train you are on, no tour ops typically on the trian but couldnt hurt to ask around.. Make some friends in the Taxi rank would be my suggestion Toofy Grin

sorry dude but hte snowtrain sucks.. i have done it twice and never again....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
crosbie, the suggestion of skimottaret to make sime friends in the train might just do the trick.
From my experience of the Snowtrain, there are usually some reps on the train.
Search them out and buy them a drink - take a bottle of whisky with you
You might find a friendly one who will let you on a bus.
If all else fails you could try Bribery and Corruption.

P.S. The Snowtrain is OK if its part of a package, and you go with some buddies and fill up a whole couchette.
If you're alone and among strangers it can be no fun at all.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm going out on the snowtrain this weekend (arr Moutiers 8.02, Sat 28 Mar) with my 13-yr-old son.

I plan to print an A4 notice and wear it on the train: "Looking for taxi share. Moutiers - Meribel"

Like you, Crosbie, I don't feel I'm doing anything particularly unusual - travelling by train, as a pair (2 pax), on a Saturday, in the school holidays, to stay independently in an apartment (rented by some friends who are driving) - so I'm a bit stunned and a little irritated Evil or Very Mad to find that we are simply not catered for.

No bus for almost three hours

No taxi share noticeboard on the Merinet website, or Rail Europe's, or any of the taxi companies'.

and No left luggage facilities at Meribel (no, the accom agency won't), so our first & last day's skiing will be with our suitcases.

Meribel - a user-friendly resort, not!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy