Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Instructor Qualifications

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, no idea, they were the Rossi's with the naked lady on the bottom!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1 wrote:
rob@rar, no idea, they were the Rossi's with the naked lady on the bottom!

... or the bottom on the naked lady
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So big if- if my gimped knee were to recover & I decided to do a BASI 1 course at Hemel this summer how ghey would my skis need to be? wink

I take it a 190 70mm waist old skool "freeride" ski wouldn't work - would trainers mind someone taking the course on floppy rental stock? or do I need to budget for some short radius BASI skis?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, L1 isnt terribly difficult, any skis will do and indoors i would think SL or punter carvers would be ideal, not like you are going to be dealing with any bumps or variables.... what would you take on a 150 meter slope 30 metres wide to do snowploughs with.. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, I reckon I could snowplough on Pontoons - should I get a pair?

On second thoughts don't want to subject my knee to that if I do get it back.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, go for it... i would try a different pair of skis every day, skis dont make a flying F**k of difference for the level of anything.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret wrote:
fatbob, go for it... i would try a different pair of skis every day, skis dont make a flying F**k of difference for the level of anything.

Says the man who's just bought some new SL toys wink

I wasn't being facetious just wanted to assess whether I'd need something new to do it (I have too many skis already just non of indoor spec really).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob wrote:
skimottaret, I reckon I could snowplough on Pontoons - should I get a pair?

That's what the very good skier on my course thought about the fat skis he turned up on, and very nearly came unstuck on his Central Theme work.

Any piste orientated skis will do just fine.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
masmith wrote:
easiski, Interesting comment, can you elaborate ? Although the lesson I referred to was in Wengen it was delivered by an English BASI level 2 instructor working for one of the independant Wengen schools.

There's a whole thread (quite recent) about the stuff that's being taught in Wengen and whether it's rife throughout Switzerland. It shouldn't be far away. Sorry - I don't have time to repeat all that was said there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, the rental skis will be fine in a dome, you may want something better in the Alps. Just get them serviced they'll be fine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, honestly the difficulty of BASI Level 1 is overstated for any experienced skier like yourself. You'll have no problem at all on full-on obese skis, partic as you are so used to them. Just do it - you'll be fine. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges wrote:
fatbob, honestly the difficulty of BASI Level 1 is overstated for any experienced skier like yourself. You'll have no problem at all on full-on obese skis, partic as you are so used to them. Just do it - you'll be fine. Very Happy

I'm sure this isn't the case - anyway I saw some Blizzard SLs at skiwarehouse and am having to sit hard on my wallet at the moment wink

In the longer term I'd need something to get my 70 hrs in anyway probably indoors.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, Level 1 is not a high level at all - no problem in general skiing level for you. Can you do a decent snowplough turn though? Shorter skis might be helpful WRT this.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowGod, sorry won't be at Tamworth in June, having just booked onto the L1 course at Castleford beginning of July - this starts on the Sat so I need only take 3 days off work. Not looking forward to spending 5 days in an enclosed environment but I hope it will be worth it. There are still plenty of places on this course so I am hoping others book on to allow it to run.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
An area where many "good" skiers fall down on their BASI1 is how to do the more basic stuff. Good skiers don't do many snowplough turns, nor plough-parallels (if they are still called that this week) and so have to re-learn how to do so.
latest report
RobW, why would good skiers not do many snowplough turns? I seem to find that with certain sets of ski chums I do them quite often (I would submit that I'm tolerably "good"...)
ski holidays
David Murdoch, Because most of the time they ski parallel. And even when they do do a snowplough, it is unlikely to be with the degree of flex and leg rotation that a BASI trainer is looking for.
ski holidays
RobW, if they can't flex correctly in a plough, I'd take a punt they can't flex correctly in parallel either...

There are lots of people who claim they failed on the basic theme but the truth is if there are fundamental faults in their skiing in basic theme they'll also be evident in their own performance skiing, even if they appear to be a "skillful" skier.
ski holidays
RobW, fair points, they probably don't
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
masmith, Mosha Marc, SnowGod, Rock up and have a go, worst that can happen is that you will get a weeks worth of great tuition and your skiing will come on loads. If you flunk the Trainer will be very, very specific as to why and will give you an action plan of things to work on.

skimottaret, several months ago when you posted this I said to myself "why the hell not". Best decision I ever made, thanks for the encouragement. Took my L1 at Castelford this week and enjoyed every minute (apart from the 10 minutes doing the nerve wrecking mock lesson). I learnt so much from the course and made important corrections to my skiing, something which I would not have previously thought possible on a 200m indoor slope. I am pleasantly surprised how, with the correct instruction, commitment and focus, how much can be done in the confined space the fridge has to offer. Bloody cold though and the views were not tremendous.

Pleased to say I passed the course and have been encouraged to progress to L2 next spring. Looking forward to some shadowing now ....
snow conditions
masmith, congrats.. snowHead Very Happy Toofy Grin glad you enjoyed it and i am sure your skiing came on loads. It is a daunting big first step doing the L1 but it gets easier once your on the ladder, especially if you find you get a lot out of teaching.... when shadowing try to work with as many instructors as you can, not just the experienced ones, you may be surprised at how different everyone does things.... wink

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 9-07-09 10:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
masmith,
Congrats and well done.
snow report
masmith, congratulations. No escape from the slippery slope (indoors or out) now.

Quote:
made important corrections to my skiing, something which I would not have previously thought possible on a 200m indoor slope. I am pleasantly surprised how, with the correct instruction, commitment and focus, how much can be done in the confined space the fridge has to offer.

Absolutely. And not just from indoor snow, the same can go for 100m of Dendix too.* I am a totally different skier from when I started training on the Dendix 4 years ago. Those improvements translate into the open environment very well too - I was skiing backcountry and moguls way better this last year that ever before, despite most of my training being on dead flat Dendix. The restricted environment actually can have advantages, in that you have a rapid turn-around run-lift-run-lift, and your coach can give you feedback when you're on the lift. For technique improvement multiple repetitions of simple drills are a fantastic way of driving it home.

*But I do have to admit, it's a whole load more pleasant (and easier) on indoor snow. It also encourages you to push those limits a bit more, as the penalty for getting it wrong is a lot less painful Sad .
ski holidays
masmith, well done!
latest report
congratulations masmith!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy