Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Instructor Qualifications

Poster: A snowHead
A couple of questions which have probably been asked and answered a million times but I'm lazy and don't like searching wink (and I'm not actually sure this post is in the right forum, but hey ho... we'll see....

What level do I need to be skiing at to start my BASI Instructor qualifications?

What level qualification do I need to go out to Austria with, say, Interski, for a couple of peak weeks a year to instruct school kids?

Thanks chaps (& Chapesses of course!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SnowGod, Here's the info from BASI http://www.basi.org.uk/qual_info.aspx?qid=35

It's normally Level 2 before you can do any teaching abroad, but I've heard of exceptions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Spyderman, I'm going to book onto a course at Tamworth for this spring...

Quote:

but I've heard of exceptions

.... when the schools TO's are desperate and have got goups of 20 kids per intstructor unless they can find some more instructors from somewhere.... anywhere!!! wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You'd have to have failed geography to go to Austria with Interski wink

Many of the British instructors working in Austria have gone through the local system rather than BASI, as they reckon it is better suited to teaching in Austria and is easier to get going with.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SnowGod, To check on your level if you're unsure, ask Tamworth to have someone look at your skiing before you book on the course to confirm that you're at entry level.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman, will do.... thanks

Elizabeth B, ooops.... ok.... they just go to Aosta!!! I meant to say Total Ski which is the TO who looked after my wifes school in Zell this year

Geography never was my strong point.... u want to see me with a piste map! wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnowGod, for your BASI Level 1 which would allow you to teach on artificial slopes in the UK, basic parallel turns on red runs. The jump up to Level 2 is quite big, as the jump up from there to ISIA.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, Spyderman, I ski blues reds and pisted blacks on both edges carving and close to the fall line at reasonable speed when traffic / conditions allow... I can ski moguls ok unless its particularly icy or they are massive bumps or the mogul field is very steep then the style goes to pot and i use my ar5e as a rudder!!! ... I can ski off piste with reasonable style if the snow is decent and fluffy and have done quite a bit of ski touring with a guide / instructor. Not too concerned on icy pistes as edge control is pretty good and fine with slush, flat light, and pretty much any conditions.

I appreciate it's difficult to judge without seeing me ski but does this sound like level 2 standard or higher or lower???
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnowGod, from your description sounds like you'd be fine for Level 1, impossible to say if you'd already be at level 2 standard, but you have to do Level 1 first anyway. When you do the course the trainer will give you an idea of how much time and training you need before you do Level 2, and between the two courses you need to do 70 hours of shadowing.

Of course your perception of skiing well may not be the same as what BASI want to see, so a key skill is being able to adapt and change the way you ski.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 19-03-09 10:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers beanie1, ....helpful comments

I'll get in touch with Tamworth and ask for an assessment from one of their instructors to see if I'm ready.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SnowGod, taken literally I'd say your description easily surpasses Level 2. If you can carve blacks close to the fall line and ski bumps and off piste without losing form I'd say closer to ISIA.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges, we shall see.... wink My instructor in Zell said that if I went to the training in November on Kitzsteinhorn he reckons I'd probably pass the Austrian course if I improved a bit in a couple of areas but they're areas I've been working on without much improvement.... plus I can't afford the time off work Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, carving blacks close to the fall line I'd say is ISTD!!! But I would take a guess that someone who could do this would also be able to ski icy bumps well...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it's more of a mental block on bumps... I didn't really spend much time practicing bumps until a couple of years ago... kind of avoided them to my cost....plus my knees aren't what they used to be so can't practice for extended periods without pain, which probably tells u something about my technique!!! Have concentrated for years on carving pistes and, even though I say so myself, I can carve well on any pisted run I've been on... also started off piste late in career but seem to have grapsed the differences in technique much quicker but spent more time practicing and been lucky enough to have some good opportunities with snow conditions almost every time I've been which is 3 or 4 times per season (total 16-18 days per season)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beanie1, didn't say which side of ISIA wink . Seriously though, I wasn't referring to just the carving fall line blacks thing alone, but to the description as a whole. Confused
latest report
Are the courses just exams, or a combination of exam/training?
snow report
Mosha Marc, combination of training (usually of very high quality) and assessment.
ski holidays
SnowGod wrote:
beanie1, Spyderman, I ski blues reds and pisted blacks on both edges carving and close to the fall line at reasonable speed when traffic / conditions allow... I can ski moguls ok unless its particularly icy or they are massive bumps or the mogul field is very steep then the style goes to pot and i use my ar5e as a rudder!!! ... I can ski off piste with reasonable style if the snow is decent and fluffy and have done quite a bit of ski touring with a guide / instructor. Not too concerned on icy pistes as edge control is pretty good and fine with slush, flat light, and pretty much any conditions.

I appreciate it's difficult to judge without seeing me ski but does this sound like level 2 standard or higher or lower???

Your ability/style etc sounds very similar to mine (I could have probably written the same words). I too am considering starting out on the BASI ladder and am considering a spring/summer level 1 course.

In Wengen last year I had an hour or so with my son's instructor one day (my son was Ill so I seized the opportunity). Picked up a great tip about rotating at the waist, but he said the level1 would be more than achievable but there may be some fine tuning to do before going for level 2. So based on this, and your description, I think you should be OK for the level 1 and then take it from there. Maybe see you on the course, too many variables at the moment for me to book onto anything.
snow report
masmith, cheers... i think i'll do the may or june course at tamworth... maybe see u there!
ski holidays
masmith, Mosha Marc, SnowGod, Rock up and have a go, worst that can happen is that you will get a weeks worth of great tuition and your skiing will come on loads. If you flunk the Trainer will be very, very specific as to why and will give you an action plan of things to work on.

But, and for me it is a big but, do it if you think you might like to teach others how to ski... if you have no interest in teaching take a performance course.
latest report
skimottaret, for me it's unliklely (although not definite) that I will teach 'professionally'. I would be satisfied in using the skills to teach my sons, and this is the real driver for me. But eh, in the current climate (my current job is under threat, just like many others out there), it would be another string to my bow so you never know !
snow report
masmith, sorry didnt mean "professionally" but just that you are interested in the teaching side of it as well as personal development. Teaching your kids, friends etc is all good snowHead you never know you may do your shadowing hours and find that you quite like it and start doing part time work at a dry slope or dome, decide you like that go get your L2 and do a week with Interski, etc, decide you like that and then.............. wink
latest report
skimottaret, I love teaching people to do stuff... I wouldn't want to ski instruct as a full time job purely because the pay is not good enough, and I have family committments and business reasons I really need to based in the UK... instructing full time really doesn't appeal full stop. However, I'd love to instruct a few days a month at Tamworth and could certainly manage a couple of peak weeks taking school parties in the Alps (preferably Austria but not overly bothered if I'm in the mountains! )

Why not do a performance course as well? wink snowHead

In fact, a performance course would probably help me to pass the instructors course, although I appreciate that a good skier doesn't neccessarily make a good instructor.... I've skied with the ESF, and watched as my disinterested instructor looked over green with envy at his mate teaching 15 year old local kids to GS wink
ski holidays
masmith, Read the stuff about wengen ski instruction before going to any BASI course rotating at the waist! rolling eyes
latest report
easiski, Interesting comment, can you elaborate ? Although the lesson I referred to was in Wengen it was delivered by an English BASI level 2 instructor working for one of the independant Wengen schools.
snow conditions
skimottaret, a whole week in a fridge! Confused

I'll have to think pretty hard.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
skimottaret, a whole week in a fridge! Confused

I'll have to think pretty hard.

Do it in a resort, I think you'll benefit much more (although you'll need a pair of skinny skis Wink )
latest report
rob@rar, agreed, not many choices for that though. What's Hintertux like in summer?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, Hintertux is a great glacier, bigger than many of the others.

Give it a go, you're def up to it!
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
rob@rar, agreed, not many choices for that though. What's Hintertux like in summer?

Never skied Tux, winter or summer. I did see some video taken by a Trainer of his group when he was doing a L1 or L2 course there and it looked very gloopy.
latest report
Mosha Marc, Hintertux is also on my radar as one option in the summer. I spent a day up there at the end of July a couple of years ago. It wasn't great by any strecth of the imagination but WAY better than in a dome.

rob@rar, is ski choice so important for the L1 course ? I thought turning radius etc only applied for L2 + ?
latest report
... and the bar at the bottom of the lift in Tux does a mean burger and chips and has the most interesting WC's I've ever seen !!
snow report
masmith, there's no rule for L1 or L2, and only a recommendation for ISIA and above this season, although will be compulroy next. But they still suggest a ski that will help rather than hinder you, twin tips not looked on favourably!
snow conditions
SKINNY SKIS!!

Wot! Below 100mm?

Shocked
ski holidays
masmith, they are pretty cool, ha!

http://youtube.com/v/JZw0WBHjl-Y
ski holidays
beanie1, just wanted to make sure that I'd be OK on my new iSupershape Magnum's !
ski holidays
masmith wrote:
rob@rar, is ski choice so important for the L1 course ? I thought turning radius etc only applied for L2 + ?

Why make it harder for yourself? When I did the L1 course one of the guys in the group was a very god skier, head and shoulders above the rest of us, but turned up on some monstrously wide things which were completely inappropriate for what he was required to demonstrate on the course. There was some of the assessment elements that I thought it was touch and go whether he would pass, despite the fact that he was such a good skier. He was told by the Trainer that if he wanted to do the L2 course he really should choose a more suitable ski (and that was before the current regulations about turn radius had been decided).
snow report
When i did my "Trainee Instructor" course as it was the trainer was on twin tips...
ski holidays
beanie1,

TUX TUX ..... HINTERTUX (la la la)

yeah, that's the place !
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
When i did my "Trainee Instructor" course as it was the trainer was on twin tips...

100mm+ underfoot? My L2 Trainer also spent a few days on twin tips, but a rather more sensible 82mm (although he complained that it was hard work to do decent short radius turns on them).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy