Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you think it will be compulsory.

Poster: A snowHead
ulmerhutte,
Quote:

I suspect there will come a time when seeing a person skiing without a helment will evoke similar thoughts to what one now has seeing somebody in "town hall sale" jacket, unzipped, in the crouch-of-death...

I suspect that you are right ina s mucha s social pressures will make helmet wearing increasingly common. Being a conformist I will probably end up wearing one although I currently see no need.
My son is already whinging at me to get one. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think back to when helmets were made compulsory for bike riders in Australia - lead to much the same discussion as here on snow helmets. Now it is really strange to see a bike rider without one (very very rare), and I certainly do not even think twice before putting on my bike helmet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just because we think it's a good idea and put one on our head, doesn't mean it's the goverments job to make that a compulsory!

There're a lot of thing we willingly do, eating vegetable for example. BUt do we need to make that compulsory? How about making it compulsory to eat meat?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ulmerhutte,
Quote:

helmets were made compulsory for bike riders in Australia

Quote:

Now it is really strange to see a bike rider without one (very very rare),

Not unexpected surely? Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dontlikeheights wrote:

It has only confirmed my opinion that we should all wear them to avoid tragic accidents which have occurred.

I think this should read "give a possible extra positive chance re accidents".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abc wrote:
How about making it compulsory to eat meat?

I'd rather eat my own ear wax...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll get one if/when I start skiing more demanding off-piste.

And it'll be a nice one, It won't look like I'm wearing half a bowling ball
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia wrote:
abc wrote:
How about making it compulsory to eat meat?

I'd rather eat my own ear wax...

But you might be made to eat meat, while wearing a helmet.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc, I guess the helmet might come in handy as a sick bucket. After all, it's been 28 years since I ate meat, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't agree with me...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar wrote:
ulmerhutte,
Quote:

helmets were made compulsory for bike riders in Australia

Quote:

Now it is really strange to see a bike rider without one (very very rare),

Not unexpected surely? Puzzled Puzzled

Ahhh, you still see a few 1 people without them on bike paths, especially those in parks. Valid question though...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interseting article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/5014855/Ski-safety-should-helmets-be-mandatory-The-case-against.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
compulsory helmets..? i hope not
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CANV CANVINGTON, nor do I. For most of last week at Wengen, a sun hat gave protection against the risk of sunburn and cancer - which outweighed any notional benefit of a helmet IMV. The hat stays on whilst skiing because of an under-chin cord. I took a helmet with me; it stayed in the hotel throughout my stay.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
... whereas I keep my well ventilated Giro helmet on and use suncream.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, suncream is not as good as a hat - though it should be used as well. A sun hat is dealing with UV before it reaches your skin. A sun cream has to cope at the point of impact. And though modern sun cream is effective, it still has to be be reapplied frequently - which many (including myself) forget. The Australians believe in
slip slop slap - and the hat recommended for 'slap' ain't a close fitting helmet - but a hat with a brim.
snow report
achilles,

If I get skin cancer it's probably got something to do with summer holidays in the sun -but come on, you will be expecting me to wear a sombrero while out mountain biking next. Wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 23-03-09 16:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
achilles, DB, its the only logical conclusion once we start down the safety first route.. 'helbreros' ! wink
snow conditions
Helmet lovers, do you wear a helmet when travelling by car?

If not why not? Surely they would reduce the chances of you getting a head injury in the event of a collision?

Should it be compulsory for children to wear helmets in cars?

If not why not? They have softer heads etc so are more likely to be injured than adults?

I despair at the scare-story culture that's taking over society. The helmet debate is just another example of this. I'd bet that the majority of helmet evangelists are daily mail/express readers. Those two "newspapers" are the true source of evil in this country.
snow report
DB, The Chief Smiley Maker told me I looked like a 'Mayan Sun-God Dude' when the air blew back the front brim on schusses. Very Happy
CANV CANVINGTON, Laughing
snow conditions
xyzpaul,

Perhaps it's because there's no safety belt to hold you in position and a protective 'frame' around you when on the slopes - but to answer your question no while driving the car I wear a sombrero.
ski holidays
xyzpaul, I totally agree that the DM and DE are publications of the devil!!! Smile

I don't agree with your comments about wearing helmets in cars though. The car's body is a protective shell and you have airbags and seatbelts to protect the occupiers. Seems more than enough to me. If they (the car trade) keep developing those two forms of protection to make them more effective, then I'm happy.

I wear a helmet a lot when boarding because I had a nasty accident in Val D'isere last December that made me think twice about my mortality and the fact I have a nipper on the way only makes me more sure a helmet is a good thing. I never used to wear it 100 per cent of the time and that was my choice, but next week in ADH I expect it'll be on 24/7. If someone declines to wear one then it's their choice though - If they suffer as a result then so be it.
ski holidays
surely any kids crossing the road should have helmets on.. they could hire them out at roadside kiosks
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
surely any kids crossing the road should have helmets on.. they could hire them out at roadside kiosks

What if it was sunny - would they also be able to rent a sombrero too?
snow conditions
Specialman wrote:
......I wear a helmet a lot when boarding because I had a nasty accident in Val D'isere last December that made me think twice about my mortality ....

Well there's the thing

Dr Mike Langran wrote:
Death rates have not come down with increasing helmet use

So if increasing your life expectancy whilst sliding on the snow is your thing, I'd forget it. Of course, as Dr Langran points out elsewhere, helmets have a place in preventing minor injuries - which is why I have one. Last week at Wengen though, the sun hat won out, for me.
latest report
achilles, maybe they won't save my life - I won't put that one to a the test quite yet - but if it helps me avoid being turned into a vegetable then it's good enough for me. Smile

I wonder if the good doctor promotes the use of helmets while riding bicycles, much like the Wales tourist board does in an advert in his article?

Photobucket
snow conditions
Specialman, dunno. IIRC he is active in a surgery at Aviemore - so he really does know what he is talking about from practical experience as well as research (and indeed, he does wear a helmet himself). From his comments, I think that the chances of a helmet saving you from becoming a vegetable are close to nil. FWIW, the motorcycle helmet I had (many years ago, I admit) was a darn sight more robust that either of my ski helmets.
ski holidays
I think he's one of the main researchers into snowsports injuries isn't he?

http://www.ski-injury.com/about
latest report
Specialman, he does sort of endorse cycle helmets in a very low key way -scroll down the page and you'll see

Quote:
...this is the precise reason that cycle helmets have not been made compulsory in the UK - yes, they may reduce injuries but the absolute risk of getting one in the first place is relatively small and not great enough to warrant a mandatory law....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
xyzpaul, nice - always someone has to take things to extremes .... I did nearly wear my helmet on a plane tho, but that was to get around stupid luggage restrictions. Check-in person gave in unfortunately Smile
latest report
xyzpaul... take a chill pill. Very few people here (perhaps nobody - have not re-read the entire thread) are advocating making helmets compulsory. You make your choice and live with the outcomes.
ski holidays
If medical 'experts' with an interest in snowsports are pooh-poohing the validity of helmets while skiing and snowboarding (to the point where they can apparently show that helmets no effect at all) , then helmet manufacturers like R.E.D, Bern and Giro must be either scratching their heads at what they can do to make a truly saf piece of kit, or they're rubbing their hands at all the mugs who put their faith in apparanetly unsafe lids. Either way, something's gone wrong down the line in terms of the safety tests which then leads me to beleive the safey organisations (ISO for example) are flogging us a dead horse.

Statistics can be used to back up any point. So what if accident/death numbers haven't dropped massively since helmets became more fashionable - at least numbers aren't going up. If people decide to ski beyond their capabilities then they'll do it, helmet or no helmet. I'm one of the most cautious people I know when I get on the snow, maybe because it's still something that I am not fully aware of the dangers of –I don't mind going 80mph on a motorway in my car because I'm used to it but going as fast as hell on the piste; I'm no ready to push myself past my limits just yet, and certainly not ready to test out the capabilities of my helmet.

It's just a shame that it takes the deah of a celebrity in what must be seen as a freak accident to make the public interested about helmet use.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 24-03-09 10:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

Helmet lovers, do you wear a helmet when travelling by car?

If not why not? Surely they would reduce the chances of you getting a head injury in the event of a collision?

Should it be compulsory for children to wear helmets in cars?

If not why not? They have softer heads etc so are more likely to be injured than adults?

xyzpaul, good point - Time to ditch my helmet for skiing.... I am going to take my car instead!! Laughing
Are there any other road users who are not sitting within a protective shell that wear helmets... hmm let me think....

Helmets are a personal choice - I think the countless threads prove this. Fact is that nobody needs insurance (unless legally required) and prevention is better than cure..... rolling eyes
snow conditions
Specialman, if you're referring to Dr Langran above, i don't think he's rubbishing them, in fact he advocates their use. He's just pointing out that they help protect against more minor, rather than major injuries.

I think ski helmets would need to be more like motorcycle helmets to have a bigger protectice effect, but i don't think you could ski in one of those!
latest report
Quote:

I think ski helmets would need to be more like motorcycle helmets to have a bigger protectice effect, but i don't think you could ski in one of those!

I think if you did then I would actually believe the claims made about how 'heavy' helmets are and how they strain the neck and create more potential...blahdeblah (although I did see a teenager with a full face motocross helmet on the other day!)
snow report
The same studies that show they have a limited effect at protecting against major trauma also show they do not increase neck injuries. There doesn't seem to be any substantiated medical argument against wearing a helmet, so if you don't want to wear one it is just personal choice and nothing more.
ski holidays
Yeah, 4mm of glass is a really great protective shell rolling eyes
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
The same studies that show they have a limited effect at protecting against major trauma also show they do not increase neck injuries. There doesn't seem to be any substantiated medical argument against wearing a helmet, so if you don't want to wear one it is just personal choice and nothing more.

Equally, as there are no substantiated medical argument showing reduction of major trauma from wearing a helmet, I am a bit puzzled why the thought that instructors 'should' wear a helmet occurred.
snow report
achilles, because i think there is showing minor trauma is reduced.
snow conditions
beanie1, if you mean prevention from minor cuts and abrasions, then I can see that. Interesting that instructors should feel that they should induce behaviour modification in their clients on those grounds, though.
ski holidays
achilles, a little more than that - impact with rocks and things too, which i guess may or may not be serious.

I wouldn't take a client out who wasn't wearing gloves or long sleeves, and yet not doing so is probably more likely to cause minor rather than major injuries... I guess the only difference being it's long been accepted practice to do this when skiing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy