Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you think it will be compulsory.

Poster: A snowHead
SnowGod, I quite agree. At the moment I choose not to, but if it became compulsory I'd deal with the discomfort of wearing a helmet to continue enjoying skiing, who wouldn't...?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SnowGod wrote:

if one of our children got killed in an accident when away on a school ski trip whilst not wearing a helmet we'd be looking for someone to blame rather than sitting there saying, "well it was his / her choice not to wear one".....

exactly, thats an excellent way to put things and I couldn't agree more with you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I bought my helmet to only wear when boarding on icy days. I loved it the first time I wore it (not icy but out on my own in the forests of Vallorcine at New Year) and have worn it every day of boarding since.

I'd still like to have the choice, but I agree that the pressure is likely to come from insurance companies who will regarding not wearing one as increasing their risk.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
James the Last wrote:
The last research I read on cycle helmets was that they greatly increase the chance of breaking your neck, owing to potential torsional forces; and they offer scant protection in the event of an impact at speed.

The assistance to safety is entirely psychological... and the net result is that you ride/ski more dangerously.

As a modertaley fast cyclist and skier, I've had several falls in each sport - all very unexpected and sudden - where a helmet has at least lessened the injury (My head was fine apart from a little blood in a couple of cases, and a headache once) These were nasty - some buddies saw my head hit a cat track first, dropping out of powder at speed (caught a hidden branch), and were about to call patrol, but I was no more than stunned. Another, a 14 yo kiddie hit me very fast as I was cruising to a lift in St Anton - ended up with his end smashing up my face from chin, across nose, and got away with two minor cuts because of helmet.

I have no doubt helmets saved me from further injusry in all these cases. Also helps immensely in trees as you can bash branches out of way with you helmet (I know!!).

And as an analogy, you therefore must drive faster when you wear seat belts. Yep .... try again! The earth is flat, isn't it?

Personal choice, yep. No protection - simply wrong.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia, they're really quite comfortable. Honest .... Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
At the moment I do not have a helmet. My husband does, and wears it for off-piste days. I hate wearing one on my bike, but always do so. I have tried on about 20 different ski helmets. I have yet to find one which fits me comfortably . If they fit my head, the chinstrap has been uncomfortable. If the chinstrap is comfortable, the blooming helmet is the wrong shape. I will continue to search, probably with more intent than before. I refuse to wear a hot pink sparkly kids number, which is the only one I have found to fit me so far.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia wrote:
Maybe it's a speed thing. I consciously do not ski faster than I can run.

you must be a fast runner. IF i did that, i'd be all day on two blues Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gortonator wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:
Maybe it's a speed thing. I consciously do not ski faster than I can run.

you must be a fast runner. IF i did that, i'd be all day on two blues Wink

or setting a new 400 metre olympic record in 11 seconds
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a 27 british bloke, skied for 20 years never worn a helmet, until this season. What prompted me was using a GPS, had a fall on which various bits of me bounced along on not too steep slope on an icy day for a bit. It was when looking back at the data, saw the crash was at 45mph, and thought if I crashed a bike at 45mph, would I want a helmet on? Yes.

All I would say is to those who are considering one, I have found it great. No more cold ears in sub zero temps, goggles steam up far less, I went for one with 2 sets of vents, so my head keeps cool on the hottest of days. Got used to the extra weight very quickly. I'm glad I've started using one. Its not just about protecting you from death, a bloke i was talking to on a lift was telling me his eyesight became damaged after a fall. I love skiing but value my health far more. For the sake of looking a bit like a lego character and £100 I'll put up with it!

I think it will go like it has for my experience playing cricket. 15-20 years ago, hardly anyone was wearing them, but as they became more popular in kids cricket the popularity grew. Now you get looked at like an idiot if you dont wear one in adult cricket as the kids have moved up through the levels and made it an essential piece of kit. This mirrors what I see in the States skiing the teens now all seem to have them as they've been used to wearing them growing up, and the stigma has gone with them.

I feel the death of a stunning women will do more to speed this up than other high profile fatalities.

Each to you're own, but its a helmet for me these days.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
James the Last wrote:
The last research I read on cycle helmets was that they greatly increase the chance of breaking your neck, owing to potential torsional forces; and they offer scant protection in the event of an impact at speed.

The assistance to safety is entirely psychological... and the net result is that you ride/ski more dangerously.

Nothing like a balanced argument is there rolling eyes

So on that basis, WC downhill racers and pro cycle racers shouldn't be wearing helmets then? Or should they?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

It was when looking back at the data, saw the crash was at 45mph, and thought if I crashed a bike at 45mph, would I want a helmet on? Yes.

Great piece of "primary research" for the pro-helmet brigade, if a little painful!!! wink

I've never worn one to date but have been thinking about it more and more in recent seasons and even began researching the subject a couple of weeks ago.... I've been through one of these speed gun thingys in resort in excess of 50mph so this post has abolutely brought into perspective my reasons for buying and wearing one... all I've got to do now is find one thats ipod compatible which fits my "Hills Have Eyes" shaped head wink

As an aside, struggling to find anywhere remotey local to Nottingham (size medium) that has any stock at this point of the season, so will probably have to remortgage and buy one in Lech at Easter (hope Strolz has an Easter Sale!!!) unless anyone can point me in the right direction.... Don't want to buy off fleabay as I really need to try on first...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well I bought a Salomon siam helmet today, pearl white, comfortable and light, it was the 2nd one I tried today although I have tried a few in the past. Glad I've done it as the kids have been saying why should they wear one if I don't?
Anyway as far as them being compulsory goes I think it should be for children as their skulls are softer but I'm undecided about adults, although would it really be such a hardship???
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

but at the end of the day, if one of our children got killed in an accident when away on a school ski trip whilst not wearing a helmet we'd be looking for someone to blame rather than sitting there saying, "well it was his / her choice not to wear one".....

You missed the point of the discussion: whether ADULTS should be made to wear helmets by law.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc, ????????????????

There was no mention of adults or children by the OP in his thread entitled "Do you think it will be compulsorary"....

And if you want to talk about ADULTS.... shouldn't we be setting a good example to our children????? I think so....... wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gortonator, I'm a very slow skier... Very Happy

Also I only think I'd find a helmet uncomfortable due to heat. I rarely wear a hat for that reason. Plus I like the whole wind in my hair thing. But if it became compulsory of course I'd do it. Until then I consider it my prerogative to decide for myself...
snow report
abc, the original post just asked if the wearing of helmets should be made compulsory.
snow report
... and also.... how do you think your children would feel if you made them wear a helmet then you got killed not wearing one????
snow conditions
SnowGod wrote:
... and also.... how do you think your children would feel if you made them wear a helmet then you got killed not wearing one????

I haven't got any children of my own. Smile

The feeling of your (or anybody else) children would be for their parents to consider. So wear one if you want YOUR children to wear one. But don't compel ME to wear one because YOUR children see me as a better example to follow than you. Wink

I'm under the impression children ARE required to wear helmet in some resort or ski school already. And parents can impose such requirements to their OWN children as far as I can tell. So the debate in this thread is mostly about whether adults should be made to do things agasinst their will.
snow conditions
abc, indeed. And the arguments for children wearing helmets is a very different and far more compelling one from those concerning adults. In Italy it's compulsory for those under 14. Don't know about elsewhere.

Mind you the Italians quite like using rules as a substitute for common sense...

Sign behind Italian motorway service station bar, "In the interest of road safety hard spirits will not be served between the hours of 22h00 and 06h00".

Ah. OK, so a sneaky brandy at 06h05 to get you going for work is OK then? Or a bottle of wine at 23h30 driving home from the pub? Puzzled
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Mind you the Italians quite like using rules as a substitute for common sense...Puzzled

Unfortunately, the Italians aren't the only one. Sad

In many towns in the USA, you can't buy spirit of any sort between the hour of 8-12 on a Sunday! Shocked

Mind you, there's no law against drinking yourself silly on a Sunday morning, as long as you've bought your drinks prior to the "no sale" window!

Still, there're many people wanting to add more similar siliness to that pile of "rules" rolling eyes ! Until all common sense would be "ruled" out of every free thinking man's mind, I suppose? Puzzled
latest report
Quote:

I consciously do not ski faster than I can run.

Well if you don't run a lot faster than I can that must make for a very sedate day's skiing. Shocked
snow conditions
For kids I think compulsory. But for adults if they wanna wear one they should, if they don't, they shouldn't - SIMPLE. From an avid helmet wearer!!
latest report
A convert this season, I find the helmet very comfortable, especially on cold / snowy days, when it beats a beanie hands down. As I however said before, I would not support legislation to make it mandatory. It should be personal choice. Too many rules already.

I suspect there will come a time when seeing a person skiing without a helment will evoke similar thoughts to what one now has seeing somebody in "town hall sale" jacket, unzipped, in the crouch-of-death... NehNeh
snow conditions
ulmerhutte, I suspect not... NehNeh
ski holidays
Quote:

Sign behind Italian motorway service station bar, "In the interest of road safety hard spirits will not be served between the hours of 22h00 and 06h00".

We were having a drink one afternoon on a sunny terrace outside a very lively bar in Obereggen in the Dolomites and "the ski police" were stood outside actually breathalysing people... if they failed they were made to get the chairlift down and if they passed they were free to ski or board back down to the village... to avoid this there were youths, quite obviously inebriated, climbing out of toilet windows to give the police the slip, or literally throwing themselves off the terrace onto a steep off piste run so as not to be denied the opportunity of skiing / boarding home whilst p1ssed... probably one of the most remarkable things I've seen in a ski resort as there were swarms of them.... the three "policemen" simply couldn't cope with the volume of people.... in a way it was hilarious but looking back it was ludicrous...

Incidently there was no sign behind the bar saying "IN the interests of Piste Safety hard spirits will not be served between the hours of 3 and 5pm..."... the bar staff we postively encouraging groups of teenagers / twenty somethings to fire down as many shots as they could manage!!!

This was in 1999 and from memory I don't think that anyone was wearing a helmet!!!

I know we see this every day from the moosewirt et al but I've never seen police stopping people.... just bloodwagons queueing up at the bottom to take the wounded to hospital!!!
snow report
This year our regular guide, Zeb, started wearing a helmet. This is quite a change as he is only the second guide I have seen wearing one. I assume he is doing it to set an example to his clients.
A few years ago hardly any regular off piste skiers wore them but now more and more are (particularly the younger ones) and 3 of my 8 regular holiday group now wear one, when only one did 2 years ago.
Having hit my head hard enough to give me a headache this year (first time I can remember, though I have hurt my neck several times) I am going to buy one next year.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 20-03-09 11:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Just read this which i found quite interesting:

Between 1990 and 2008, at least 39 people died on Quebec's ski slopes, the provincial coroner's office said. A report released last year suggested that of the 26 deaths between 1990 and 2004, 14 were the result of head injuries. Helmets were worn in just two of those 14 cases.

so goes without saying that NOT wearing a helmet makes you statisically more likely to die from a head injury than if you did wear one.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 20-03-09 12:18; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
dlawless, No, it doesn't say that at all - what it says is that there were 14 deaths as a result of head injuries, and that of those 14 incidents, 2 were wearing helmets rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Embarassed

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 20-03-09 12:20; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
dlawless, Your edit makes your post meaningless!
latest report
SnowGod,

A ski helmet is not required for the moosewirt but you will need your drinking hat and beer googles, Heeeeeeeeeeeey baby. Uh arr ....................
latest report
dlawless wrote:
Just read this which i found quite interesting:

Between 1990 and 2008, at least 39 people died on Quebec's ski slopes, the provincial coroner's office said. A report released last year suggested that of the 26 deaths between 1990 and 2004, 14 were the result of head injuries. Helmets were worn in just two of those 14 cases.

so goes without saying that NOT wearing a helmet makes you statisically more likely to die from a head injury than if you did NOT wear one.

wait? what? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
sorry guys all over the place today, in my mind i'm already skiing!! re edited to orignal, i'm confusing myself now Puzzled !! WEAR HELMETS it'll reduce your chances of serious head injuries or death, thats what i'm trying to say.
ski holidays
-will
+may

Edit: my stats are... 1 head injury while wearing a helmet, got the official leaflet and 12 stitches. 0 while not wearing a helmet. So you are 1/0 *100 % (ie infinitely) more likely to get a head injury Wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 20-03-09 12:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
andy wrote:
-will
+may

No, it will reduce the chance. Which may help.

Or may not, depending on just how bad it would have been without it.
snow report
Wearing a helmet makes no difference as to whether you will have an accident or not (although some may suggest that it actually increases the chance of an accident due to a number of factors). However, wearing a helmet may reduce the impact of any injury as a result of an accident.
snow conditions
andy, but think what your head injury would have been like if you hadn't have been wearing your helmet that day!! unless your injury was sustained by a helmet hitting your head? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
glad we've got that sorted.... wink
latest report
dlawless, probably exactly the same, unless the minor variation in wind resistance would have been enough to cause a slightly different leverage on my neck, thereby meaning a different piece of my head impacted terra firma.
ski holidays
Before this accident i discussed this with my OH and decided that we would both get them before next years adventures.
It has only confirmed my opinion that we should all wear them to avoid tragic accidents which have occurred.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy