Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you stop catching someone elses cold/germs on Aircraft ?

Poster: A snowHead
Grrrrrrr - this is the 2nd time this year I've caught a cold from someone on the plane !!!! You have a great time while you're there and then 2 days later you feel like sh*t !!! Has anyone got any tips on prevention other than a chemical warfare suit or a full Jacko face mask? I'd love to hear your tips/remedies
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Keep smelling tea tree oil..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Drive to the resort Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If they are right next to you, no chance! If they are spluttering and sneezing all over the place you can quite reasonably ask them to refrain or else wear a face mask Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowbandit wrote:
Drive to the resort Toofy Grin

somewhat extreme but I can't argue !!! Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
onaplateau wrote:

does that really work?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marksovereign, Possibly does work, my dad suffers from chest infections and over a few years always got a bad cold after a flight, since using tea tree oil he has not got a cold after a flight, he forgot to take it once and got a cold, so seems to work for him!

Wish I'd used it this year as came down with a nasty cold last week on our trip to Pesiey - still managed to ski but the apres suffered!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I always worry about this too. 1 week out of 52 a year at a time when the lurgy is prevalent.

Spolied my trip to Livigno in 08
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all,

Actually while the cold virus and similar can be airborne much of the risk is contact, ie bacteria/virus on your hands getting transferred to your mouth or nose or eyes.
Take some wet wipes and make sure you wipe your hands and face regularly, especially before eating and drinking. You could wipe the armrests and entertainment controls, you don't know what the previous occupant was up to.

Either that or travel premium/business where you if you catch a cold it will be a better class of cold Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Easy to blame the plane when it is not the major factor. Change of temperatures, tiredness and various incidental stresses. Keeping to your home routine in terms of food, drink and bedtimes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agree with landmannnn - antibacterial hand gel is my New Best Friend (little bottles, obviously, so as not to frighten the security staff). You can buy it in Boots at the airport and it's dead handy to carry around skiing as well (esp with the state of my gloves!).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
smear a light coat of vasaline around your nostrels.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always seem to come back from skiing and promptly get a cold. This season is no exception and I'm currently a snot factory. However, I didn't get a cold on the way out so I doubt I can blame aircraft germs...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I catch a cold once or twice a year... not too often.

Oh - and I've flown 413 sectors in the last 12 months Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Michelle, good point. Think of cabin crew too who fly pretty much every day. I don't see them all grabbing a quick lemsip in between each safety demonstration...
ski holidays
queen bodecia, have you seen how many 'lemsips' certain cabin crew can put away in a night tho wink
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, lemsips??? Is that where I'm going wrong Shocked Laughing
latest report
I assume our Michelle is a cabin crew person then...?

One of my ski buddies this year works for Thomson Airways and was on the same flight as me. How nice to be guaranteed the extra legroom seats. It pays to have friends in high places... Very Happy
snow report
queen bodecia, I can assure you I haven't done 413 take offs and landings purely for pleasure wink
ski holidays
You can get a tiny bottle of alcohol based hand wipe gel that dries after being rubbed in. Great stuff for hands.

But speaking to reps in resorts... the consensus seems to be that having 1000's of people all coming in with their various colds every week means that the resort becomes a great virus swap station. Chances are that you pick one up mid week and it manifests itself upon return. That's my theory anyhow Laughing
latest report
marksovereign, interesting you blame the plane. Why?
Common Cold
snow conditions
marksovereign wrote:
onaplateau wrote:

does that really work?

Just like my rock keeps dinosaurs away.
snow report
Private jet. Sorted.
snow conditions
Does it matter whether you catch it on a plane or else where? If its gonna get you its gonna get you Toofy Grin
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
marksovereign, interesting you blame the plane. Why?
Common Cold

Usually becuase 2days after ive flown one develops!
snow conditions
I stay in an isolation bubble - who knows what I could catch if I were to venture outside?
snow report
I'd put it more down to most people lack of basica hygenie and hotel buffetn tables
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Echinachea and Green Tea!!

Don't laugh! I used to get 3-4 colds a year, every year, but since I started taking these 2, I have only had 1 cold in 4 years!

If you are feeling run down, take echinachea (boots, supermarkets) anyway, before you get a cold, or if anyone around you has a cold take it, as I believe that
it really boosts your immune system. If you do get caught, you can get enchinachea+ specifically to help you deal with cold/flu symptoms, and for me it reduced the time
I felt rough in half.

Green tea is also meant to boost your immune system, so now I have the tea daily, and the echinachea as and when.

Bikergirl Cool
P.S. as a chronic insomniac, my immune system should be poor, so I should catch every cold going....but I don't anymore!
latest report
man up you lot.. your immune system needs exercise as well.. use it or lose it wink
snow report
I try to contract a much more virulent disease just before coming home, that way people don't want ot get too close or you get your own isolation area on the plane! Try the West Nile Virus, Dengue Fever or (my personal favourite) Sonic Diarrhoea. spoo Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Richard_Sideways, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Learn to fly. Get a pilots license and lock yourself in the cockpit
snow report
Richard_Sideways, SONIC diarrhoea? I'm curious, but almost afraid to ask..

Since I stopped working in an office, the number of colds and chest infections I get a year has dropped dramatically - I use public transport a lot less and am not obliged to spend time with germ-ridden colleagues. Don't have kids either - now those are germ and snot factories!
snow report
marksovereign, Drive out, I haven't been ill all season.
snow conditions
marksovereign, it could of course be the plane.
But just as likely the airport (often crowded) and those awful queues - both departure and arrival airports.

Or it may just be "habit". My daughter, now 20, always seemed to get a cold whenever we went skiing.
Back then we used to drive (Portsmouth - Le Havre ferry).

Recently gone by plane. Twice.
No cold. Confused
snow report
Sitting here dribbling with snot and coughing my head off, the isolation bubble seems to be the best idea at the mo !!! or maybe sonic diarrhoea. Maybe my immune system is shot - or maybe I should wear my helmet whilst on the plane Toofy Grin
snow report
marksovereign, you still dying, and posting after midnight?
Seems you got lurgy on the way home - better than on the way out.
But still not fun.
Keep taking the beer, and add in large dollops or whisky.
ski holidays
If you must go on a plane, hold your breath! Certain not to catch anything that way......
snow report
Beer and Whisky works for me! Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy