Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis you can recognize from 50 yards away -without- seeing the logo.

Poster: A snowHead
A comment Martin Lindstrom made in his radio interview tour for Buyology ran something like this:

Quote:
Well, I think the most important thing we learned from the research study is that the concept of subliminal advertising, in fact, is much more powerful than we thought before.

And we actually did an experiment where we had two billboards; one billboard with a cowboy and another billboard with a cowboy, but this time with a logo of a famous tobacco brand.

Guess what? We learned that the billboard without the logo was doubly as powerful as the one with the logo, and that's the first time ever we learned that the power of the logo is diminishing, in fact the subconscious signals are really starting to be important in order to persuade people to buy more...

So how many and which skis can you recognize from yards away -without- seeing the logo _or_ distinctive unique colour pattern?

My list (incomplete to be sure):

Volants.
Kastles (reimagined).
Rossi Quantums, Rossi Mutix, and now, of course, these: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=50747
Salomon XScream
Elan Predator/Stiletto
Fischer (new RC4s, old Radarcs)
Fels Trinetics
Scottybobs
Atomic 9'11, Crimson, most Beta lobes though the squarer ones can be confused with some Blizzards, Metrons.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
None whatsoever.

However, I have cultivated ad blindness over a period of years and have it down to a fine art. I am not about to be persuaded to buy more stuff just because a load of marketing weasels show me pictures. How stupid do they think I am FFS? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was it the Rossi Course with the red blob?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mosha Marc, Nope, Dynastar
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dynastar course gs - I had a pair - the only ski's I have felt confident on in hard icy conditions.Mosha Marc,
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc, Dynastar. Good call on the blob. I was also going to suggest the fat but pointy triangle tip shape and riveted plates on it.

Lizzard, missed the point again, eh?

Hint: it has nothing to do with packaged, overt advertisements and everything to do with things you see everyday and may not consciously notice. In fact, it sounds like you'd be a -prime- candidate for just this sort of marketing because you consciously locked out overt advertising.

For example, someone with your methods wouldn't have a clue about which -brand- the red blob on ski tips corresponded to.

But if the person with your methods saw red blobs on the hill and then walked into a ski shop and saw red blobs on a set of skis, I bet that person would ask to try them.

In fact, the ski shop staff could conceivably steer that person's attention to whichever ski they wanted just by Velcroing red blobs onto the tips.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, K2 Extreme, K2 Coomba, any Black Crows, the old Rossi 7Gs
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Patch wrote:
the old Rossi 7Gs

by the VAS plates?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rossi open - see through tip
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex wrote:
Patch wrote:
the old Rossi 7Gs

by the VAS plates?

wasn't the 4s the first with the plates?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
daehwons, believe so, trying to remember if the 7S had two per ski.

I'm thinking of relaxing the colour rule because the Rossi teal was so distinctive, but I don't think I should.

It comes to 'what is a logo?'

The Atomic Beta red with black and white checker is durn near a logo, the Volkl Zebra stripes, etc, are close enough to logos for Martin Lindstrom terms IMO.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, uhh, all of them? i.e. any ski you want to throw at me?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Actually the "cool" bit is being able to date any ski/boot/binding since ~1978
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex wrote:

So how many and which skis can you recognize from yards away -without- seeing the logo _or_ distinctive unique colour pattern?

My list (incomplete to be sure):

Volants.
Kastles (reimagined).
Rossi Quantums, Rossi Mutix, and now, of course, these: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=50747
Salomon XScream
Elan Predator/Stiletto
Fischer (new RC4s, old Radarcs)
Fels Trinetics
Scottybobs
Atomic 9'11, Crimson, most Beta lobes though the squarer ones can be confused with some Blizzards, Metrons.

None at all, and neither could anybody who isn't a total ski geek.

Are you honestly saying that if somebody turned all the photos in a ski review into silhouettes, you could still recognise all of that list (and more)? Because from 50 yards, you won't be able to see the other little distinguishing things, you will only really be able to see the shape of the ski.

You may have that much in depth knowledge of different skis. But I doubt if more than 1% even of skiers as keen as those on snowHead would.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Surely absolutely any Icelantics?
latest report
comprex wrote:
Mosha Marc, Dynastar. Good call on the blob. I was also going to suggest the fat but pointy triangle tip shape and riveted plates on it.

Lizzard, missed the point again, eh?

Hint: it has nothing to do with packaged, overt advertisements and everything to do with things you see everyday and may not consciously notice. In fact, it sounds like you'd be a -prime- candidate for just this sort of marketing because you consciously locked out overt advertising.

For example, someone with your methods wouldn't have a clue about which -brand- the red blob on ski tips corresponded to.

But if the person with your methods saw red blobs on the hill and then walked into a ski shop and saw red blobs on a set of skis, I bet that person would ask to try them.

In fact, the ski shop staff could conceivably steer that person's attention to whichever ski they wanted just by Velcroing red blobs onto the tips.

This is true. The reb blob (or Contact System I think it was officially called) and the see-through Rossi Open System, both sold way more skis than they were entitled to. See, we're all very simple souls when you boil us down and well-executed simple ideas are the most effective. At that time Dynastar gave, or sold cheaply, blob skis to just about any good skier. Result was that not-so-good skiers noticed that good skiers all had blobs. The result was inevitable. A triumph of marketing over performance. Brands these days don't manage to differentiate themselves in anything like the same way. Graphically all a bit intermingled.

A few decades ago in Verbier I met a Kiwi ski bum who couldn't afford to buy skis. He chatted up the guys at a ski shop and managed to salvage a few odd skis where someone had snapped one. He ended up with a 210 GS ski on one foot and a 223 DH ski with 13cm cut off the rear on the other foot. He could ski down anything and with some style. I find it hard to criticise any of today's production from any manufacturer.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:

Ski geeks would recognize the branding or the model. They would be able to -map- the distinguishing feature into the field of ski candidates.

Non-ski-geeks would still see the distinguishing feature, and even conceivably register it as positive or negative.

For a non-ski-geek, being able to map the distinguishing feature into the field of ski candidates isn't necessary. It is done at the ski shop.

The question was

Quote:

Are you honestly saying that if somebody turned all the photos in a ski review into silhouettes, you could still recognise all of that list (and more)?

50 yards may have been hyperbole to get the point across, but 10, 15, even 20 yards is very feasible.

The RC4s have hollow tips. The XScreams have stiffener arms on top. The Mutix have arms behind the binding. The Dynastars had blobs. Those Elans are thinner than some cross-country skis. The Scottybobs and Fischer Radarcs and Atomic 9'11 are clearly asymmetrical, each in their own distinct way.

Quote:

You may have that much in depth knowledge of different skis. But I doubt if more than 1% even of skiers as keen as those on :sH: would.

Again, the average skier being able to correlate the distinctive feature to the actual brand and model *is not required*. That is done at the shop or at the magazine or at the online forum, at which point it can be used as a recognition tool to drive sales.

All that is required is for the skier to consciously or unconsciously notice the distinctive feature. ZERO knowledge of skis required.

Hollow tips observed at Val d'Isere worlds or local club race? Let me try those please. Skier points. Clerk fetches Fischers off the rack.

Ski geeks have some hope of resisting because they track the feature consciously and map into skis on offer immediately. The point of this thread is to identify distinguishing features that already exist on the skis we know about.

'Know thy wallet's enemy'
snow report
Zag skis have a pretty distinctive shape I reckon I could pick out. At least the old Bigs do...
latest report
LOL! No idea at all. I skied on my hire skis for two whole days before working out what make/model they were. I decided to memorise it after trying to find my skis outside a mountain hut and realising 'grey skis and blue poles' was not a specific enough description!
snow report
queen bodecia,

according to the marketing model above, putting distinguishing features on hire skis is shooting oneself in the foot. wink
snow conditions
comprex, indeed! LOL!

And I am especially useless... Very Happy

BTW they were Salomon Streetracer or something. Not the best hire skis I've ever had but certainly not the worst either...
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
Not the best hire skis I've ever had but certainly not the worst either...

Shocked Shocked

DON'T tell me what the worst ones were.

*runs away with plugged ears screaming "LLALLALALALALALALALLAALALALALA"*

wink
ski holidays
arv wrote:
Zag skis have a pretty distinctive shape I reckon I could pick out.

Good point, though Scott and others have encroached on that.
latest report
Quote:

someone with your methods wouldn't have a clue about which -brand- the red blob on ski tips corresponded to.

Er, no. Said person would decide what he/she wanted in a pair of skis, ask the shop chappie for a recommendation based on these requirements and try that one. Which is how I ended up with the skis I currently have.

I am well aware that the weasels are devious little beasts, and I keep tabs on their covert activities as well as the above board stuff. I am, as I have pointed out, not stupid.
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Ski geeks would recognize the branding or the model. They would be able to -map- the distinguishing feature into the field of ski candidates.

Non-ski-geeks would still see the distinguishing feature, and even conceivably register it as positive or negative.

For a non-ski-geek, being able to map the distinguishing feature into the field of ski candidates isn't necessary. It is done at the ski shop.

OK. I had misunderstood what you were suggesting initially, and thoughth it was about recognising the brand/model, rather than about being able to say "that ski" and describe it (or point it out).

I'm not sure that it really has as much effect as you suggest, but then I'm not the type of person easily lead in that way, and marketing departments rely on reasonable numbers, rather than all, or even most people folowing that type of lead.
latest report
Dynastars have that specific cut to the tips - and the metal tip ends too. Tells me to stay away, stay away... Madeye-Smiley

Does this make me a ski geek then? Smile
snow report
Knessil Bigfoot. The toes give it away.
snow report
I could pick out my RX8's at 50 metres.....due to the amount of araldite holding the top sheet on rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can recognise red ones, yellow ones, blue ones, black ones, white ones....... rolling eyes

Or if under a chair lift, just by looking at the bases, I can recognise K2, Salomon, Rossignol, Dynastar, Scott...... rolling eyes

Does anyone in here collect train numbers too? Or bus tickets? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
X-screams . . . still
Bandits old and new
K2 are pretty distictive: Pontoons, Seths etc.
ski holidays
In addition to some already mentioned, I spot Atomic SL12 and the old SL11 slalom and GS

Quote:

Does anyone in here collect train numbers too? Or bus tickets?

PMSL @ Guvnor,
snow report
'subliminal advertising'.... I wouldn't fall for such a thing. I don't know why, but I'll be looking out for White Dot Freeride skis though?????? I've read somewhere that they have no gimmcks and they are just good skis.
ski holidays
Quote:

I've read somewhere that they have no gimmcks and they are just good skis.

no gimmicks.... just a white dot wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy