Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How can I avoid Swiss Motorways en route to Samoens via Geneva Airport?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

We're driving to Samoens next week and my parents are flying. We are picking them up at Geneva Airport en route.

I want to avoid the swiss motorways since I was stung for a Vignette (sticker which allows travel on Swiss Motorways cost about E30 I think) last time when I was just doing an airport pick up.

Does anyone know how I can do this? Should I arrange for my folks to walk through to the French side of GVA and pick them up from there?

If so,

a) can anyone suggest an obvious meeting point as I don't know that side of the airport?

and

b) give directions by car avoiding swiss motorways?

My only other thought (looking at Google Maps) would be to come off the A40 at Veyrier and wiggle into Geneva that way?

Thanks for any thoughts....

FS
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh I have just answered my own query via the GVA website - those efficient Swiss types have a thorough list of all possible routes to the airport - all colour coded and everything!

Marvellous.

If anyone else interested:

http://www.gva.ch/en/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/af.pdf

Cool FS
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Freestyle wrote:

Thanks for any thoughts....

FS

The obvious thought is what time of day? The route through St Pouilly is very long and having assisted at a head on collision at Valerie the other day I think I'd sooner pay the 40CHF rather than having some out of control French loon head on into my car (I missed the accident by a hair's breath after stopping to pick up a hitch hiker). One of the drivers was not wearing a seatbelt and it was not a pretty sight to say the least. If I were a priest I would have administered the last rites rather than a bit of ineffectual first aid. In fact the people who were wearing belts were only marginally better off as they were very old.

Lancy can be hell between 5-7pm as you hit the dreadful Geneva traffic and the nasty eternal Meyrin roadworks (part of the big Geneva dig). If you go this way just follow signs for Balexert (big shopping center) then take the Lancy trunk which exits near Plaine les Ouates - there is a quick cross country route via Archamps which takes you straight into the French motorway system without hitting the St Julien/Perly traffic snarlup if you look closely on the map... from Plaine les Ouates carry on due east till you hit Archamps.

Otherwise from the airport going the country route via Aire de la Ville and Bernex is pretty rapid, from Bernex you get directly to Perly then St Jeu. I don't think it is shown on your map pssshhh.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, Thanks for the info. I will be heading for Geneva on the 18th April to drop my son off before heading back for the EOSB. Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Freestyle, if you're doing a trip both in and out of the airport - to make the cost more worthwhile - you could find that the cost of a vignette, at 40 CHF, would add a lot more to the enjoyment of your holiday than would spending the equivalent on a few expensive beers on the slopes. What's it worth to avoid quite a lot of hassle and get to your holiday destination quicker and in a better temper? If it's not too busy a time of day, you could just head straight down into Geneva from the airport - hit the lake and go round the end, watching out for signs to Chamonix (round the end of the lake to the left, then fairly shortly off to the right, if I remember rightly; trying not to mix it with the trams!). It would be good to have a suitable map, a competent navigator and a cool head; I've found the signposting in Geneva to be less than comprehensible, sometimes - you need to have a feel for the geography and where you are heading in relation to the lake. Going back to the airport from Geneva or anywhere around is well signposted - to the SWISS side. No point in bothering with the French side - that would only be necessary if you needed to avoid any entry into Switzerland.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
the vignetes are sometimes sold on ebay!

My sat nav does not like Geneva. I nearly met Elvis when the car stalled on the tram line it sent me to!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RPF, I thought you can't tear off the vignettes?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w,

Is it really that bad that you would rather pay the e40?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof,

Thank you. The collision sounds horrid. |FOr safety sake, would you suggest paying for the vignette?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I thought you can't tear off the vignettes?

Not if you stick them on like you are supposed to but some entrepeneurs dont and sell em when they get home. I dont know the consequences of not sticking them properly. Knowing the swiss I'm sure they'll not let it go!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a genuine unused vignette (I bought it online before going, then forgot to take it with me rolling eyes ) £20 including postage if you are interested.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Freestyle, it's not 40 euro, it's 40 Swiss francs, which is a bit less. It depends on the opportunity cost of your time. If you consider how much you spend on your skiing holiday, is an extra hour - possibly a lot more, if you get lost, which is not difficult, worth the price of a modest round of drinks?

I once got away without having the vignette stuck on at Bardonnex, because I was in a hired car from Albertville, paid for by my motor breakdown insurance when my own car was in the garage getting a new clutch. The woman who sold it to me allowed me to take it loose, but told me if the police stopped me they'd make me stick it on. She didn't suggest that they'd throw me into a deep dungeon or make me pay lots of money. But I think she was unusual; I suspect most of the people on duty at Bardonnex would make you stick it on straight away. I had rehearsed my story in French on the way in - I thought it might possibly put them in a better mood (give them a laugh, that is!).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RobinS,

Sounds like a plan - so it definitely is unused? Those Swiss types are efficient!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Freestyle wrote:
RPF, I thought you can't tear off the vignettes?

If they are properly stuck on they are tricky to remove but with care and a well lubricated razor blade, it can be done (I am told). If you smear a bit of soap on the screen before sticking the vignette on, removal is much easier (apparently).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richmond, Put cling film on your window ... but it's 40chf ffs !

I've just had a windscreen replaced .. Vignette was removed and replaced by the windscreen folk no problem.
snow conditions
Agenterre, quite. I couldn't be bothered, personally.
snow report
Freestyle, it's £25. If somebody offered you £18 (once you've bought a decent map) to spend an hour or two of your holiday driving round, doing some map reading, risking getting lost and having some sulky back seat passengers, would you do it?

If the answer is "yes", save the dosh on the vignette. You might be able to do a bit of casual apartment cleaning too, if you ask around a bit. In fact I am cleaning two apartments today - and earning 60 euros, but then I'm here for months, not a week.
ski holidays
pam w, elegantly argued.
snow report
pam w,

Yes - I think buying a vignette en route is the way to go. Had forgotten it's CHF not Euros. Sorry RobinS, you'll have to ebay yours...thanks for the offer though....

FS Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy