Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next christmas

Poster: A snowHead
I would really love to know people’s thoughts and views about the following…. Been trying to arrange something for the past couple of years, and its only now that it looks like its going to happen Very Happy .

Looking to go away for next Christmas, group of 8 adults ( early thirties ) and 2 children, 1 aged 6 the other aged 2, 4 adults never skied before, 2 adults not skied for 15 years, other 2 adults just
learnt to snowboard in canada over this xmas and new year. All of the group (except the 2 year old obviously) will be having regular visits and lessons at xscape over the next 10 months..!!...!!
nothing like a bit of preparation…..

We’re looking at going somewhere snowsure, walking distances to slopes and lifts, somewhere with a bit extra like skating and tobogganing, all staying together in a chalet ( catered or not ),
and generally just having xmas away as group and having a bit of fun ( a beer not costing a fiver would also be helpful ). I’m pretty certain that it will all be done independently flights
accommodation transfers etc. and so far we have come up with 5 possibilities, La Rosiere, Les Arcs 1800, Val Thorens, Obergurgl and Obertauren.

My own personal concerns are regarding temperatures and transfers ( you’ve guessed it the kids are mine…!!!...!! ), which is one of the main reasons we're not going north America.
A few of us like the look of val thorns because of the slope locations, the extras, accommodation levels but have been warned that it can be bleak and very cold that time of the year.

Apologies for such a long post Embarassed , but as I went Andorra and Bulgaria nearly 15 years ago, and my holidays over the past 8 years have been hot and scuba diving related, it's time for a change
and I’m a bit in the dark… any comments or views, good or bad, will be really appreciated.
Also, I take it my 15 year old pair of head ski boots are no good now... Very Happy, to the museum they go.... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GaryW, welcome to snowHeads, have a look at our ad in snowShops or you can check out our website on www.tracksvacations.com our chalet is in La Rosiere 1850, very snowsure and IMO one of the best resorts for a mixed ability group that you can find.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowheads GaryW. Ya know what, yer boots are probly fine. It's the planks wot they snap into wot's changed. £ words of wisdom: Hire in resort.

Snowsure = high altitude, which you've pretty much sussed. Quite honestly anywhere high alt is going to be a bit bleak, because it's...well...high alt. Good thing about Val T is that it links into a vast number of lower villages - they'll be open by xmas time - whose runs are a bit nicer if the weather's a bit crap.

Of your selection, I've only skied 3V - Val T is good for can't ski/getting better/haven't skied ages. And everyone else. Someone else will help you out re: the other resorts - otherwise try Ski Club GB's resort pages, or do a search on this site.

Also if you live within a reasonble distance of London and are going to ski France, then seriously think about travelling by train rather than plane. Plane transfers = 11 hours (wasting a whole day's skiing). Train trip = 11hours, sleeping away the boring bits, keeping all luggage and people together (no luggage allowance!!!) and arriving virtually in resort. If the snowtrain's not yet operating at xmas you can piece together your own snowtrain by buying Eurostar tickets to Paris, then from Gare Austerlizt take the overland sleeper couchette to Bourg St Murice or Moutiers (then taxi up to Val T/Rossier/Arcs.

Happy planning!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 24-01-05 16:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to the Darkside! Madeye-Smiley

Next Christmas falls on a Sunday, with the return the next Sunday being New Years day. If you go saturday to saturday you'll be travelling Christmas Eve & New Years Eve. I think that's right??

There were hundreds of crazy prices floating around this year in December - 1/2 price in Tignes & Val D'Ispere were 1 remembered. There was lots of availability too. People just didn't want to travel on those days. I think you'll find some cracking deals again this year - who wants to travel on either of those 2 options??? So personally i'd wait and wait for the deals and make the tour operators etc sweat a bit realising it's going to be difficult to fill up those places. Twisted Evil

All of the places you've mentioned sound good!

Oh and welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GaryW, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Another thing that you might want to consider if going away for Christmas.....is the resort scenic? It may or may not bother you...but if you are picturing snow scenes like shown on christmas cards - then don't go to Val Thoren!!

Also regarding the ski boots....they will be okay from a functional point - but check them carefully. Most ski boots (I'm told) disintergrate after about 7-10 years (something to do with the plastic - I'm not an expert?).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We were in Arc 1800 this Christmas.

Skiing was ok, considering how little snow there was.

Wouldnt say it would be the best for non skiers, the skating rink is very small and not so easily reached. It was also very pricey, more pricey than La Plagne, which is its neighbour.

That being said it was easy to get arround the resort using the bus service and a little better to look at with the number of trees here and there.

The locals were very friendly and the bars all seemed happy to cater for groups taking over large tables with or without children. Unless you want to spend a fortune, self catering would seem the best way in 1800, the spa being fairly well stocked, plus there were too delivery services available offering slight discounts.

The only Christmas festivities occured on Christmas eve, so arriving on that day as you will, I am afraid you wont have too much in the way of seasonal festivities or atmosphere.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GaryW, Welcome to Snowheads.

I think you should contact David@traxvax, as La Rosiere would really be ideal for you - and it's scenic. Val T is hideous (good ski-ing, but very high for little ones). 3V is ridiculously expensive, Oburgurgl might be OK, but Hochgurgl would probably be better that early in the year, but then you're high again. You could come here (Les Deux Alpes), always snowsure (glacier), but again is a bit brassic for small kids early in the year. However if you pm me I can let you have info about a catered apartment which could well suit. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gary,
We did Obergurgl this Christmas, it has the "snowsure, walking distances to slopes and lifts, somewhere with a bit extra like skating". I'd disagree with easiski and recommend staying in Obergurgl,there are trees on the Gaisberg lift for the white days, avoid Hochgurgl on these days , plenty of appartments on their web site www.obergurgl.com and even this year when the snow was not up to the usual standard it was OK to ski to the village and only a couple of runs were closed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome to snowHeads GaryW.

A couple have already mentioned it, but La Rosiere is ideal for your requirements. It has a great atmosphere, it's very scenic, the lift system is easy to use and if you wish to go further afield, the link to La Thuille is an option. It has an excellent snow record, and the 3 times we've been there, the conditions have been very good. It's also South facing, which is a consideration for the children and any adults that might be standing around a bit - much warmer, assuming the sun's shining in the first place!

I planned a group of 16 for the Boxing Day week just gone and the resort offered exactly what we all needed - 1 baby, 4 youngish children, 2 older and 8 mixed ability adults. I've seen David@traxvax's place, and it's charming, with some stunning views over the Tarentaise Valley. Others here have stayed there and I'm sure would bear testament to the place.

Because our group specifically wanted ski lessons and and afternoon snow club for the younger ones in our group, we used Ski Esprit. Although our rep (the other in resort was OK) and resort manager left quite a bit to be desired, we were well looked after by our chalet hosts, and the children all seemed happy which was the main consideration. As for transfers, if flying, take the Chambery option, it's 2 hours from there, give or take, by coach.

Good luck with the planning snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the comments everyone, really appreciate it wink
So far, my little brain is soaking up the following....

Val T, Pro's - snowsure, good chalets, good layout, good slopes, good extras
Con's - very high, could be bleak, will be cold, very expensive, not the prettiest, transportation, possibly not suitable for kids ??( weather wise )

Obergurgl, Pro's - snowsure, good layout, good slopes, good atmosphere at xmas, pretty, good for kids, better for transportation to & from resort ??
Con's - no chalets.... will all be in separate hotel rooms...

La Rosiere, Pro's - snowsure, chalets, good layout, prettier than others, better for kids ( weather wise, south facing )
Con's - possibly not as much to do if not on the slopes

Obertauren, Pro's & Con's - same sa obergurgl

So, the pro's of Val T, plus the pro's of obergurgl, plus the pro's of La Rosiere and I'm there.....

Am I right in thinking that no matter where I go at xmas for snowsure, whether it's 1800m or 2300m, it's going to be damn cold, be it Val T or Obergurgl,
somewhere in between the -10 to -20, with the exception of La Ros, ( flame retardent suit on for the next comment..., being devil's advocate ) because
of the kids should I be making decisions based on bleakness / coldness, or just basically the right resort, accomadation and stuff for everyone.
( I know it sounds harsh, but I am trying to play devil's advocate...!! )

Is there other resorts I should be looking at ?

Over to you knowledgeable lot..... any families out there with comments....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GaryW, I think the Val T comment regarding kids was more to do with them not liking the altitude. I've skied Switzerland several years over New Year, and neither time was it cold. It all depends on the weather.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B, thanks, excellent point, which I ashamedly admit I hadn't considered,
It could possibly tie the 6yr old out a lot quicker, the 2 yr old won't obviously be doing much,
but it could still affect them both initially, especially after a flight aswell.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GaryW, I know I'm biased but I don't believe you'd find La Ros to be too lacking in off-slope activities. PM me and I'll send you a La Ros brochure which may help you.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ERRm. Just how snowsure at Christmas is La Ros? Wasn't it a bit shakey this year?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris, everywhere was poor in the first week of the season (11th - 18th Dec), Val d'Isere wasn't fully open, only the Grande Motte was open in Tignes, Les Arcs wasn't open at all and neither was La Plagne. La Rosiere's opening was put back until the 18th Dec when it began dumping down. To me that's a pretty exceptional year.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 25-01-05 22:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
David@traxvax, I'll take your word for it that it is usually OK. We were skiing in the streets in Kitzbuhel at 780m at Christmas. Just a thought that further east and lower might be OK.

Not just being provocative. I'm considering going somewhere other than Kitz for Christmas next year. Love the place but skied it all now. snowHead
ski holidays
GaryW, It's not just the height of the town but the height of the ski-ing as well. eg: Les 2 Alpes is 1650, but the majority of our ski-ing is above this lever. Alpe d'Huez (across the valley) is at 1800 but their best ski-ing is below the resort. La Rosiere has lovely pistes not too far from the chalets/hotels, and is a lovely little place - if I wasn't here I might just be there! Confused
snow report
Might be a good time to buy there were anyone planning on such a venture. I was talking to a couple who own a place there and if I understood them, it sounds as though there's new development planned and the opening of some new skiing domain beneath the Col De La Traversette (to the right of the Fort chairlift). I guess David can probably shed more light on that one.
latest report
Mark, that's been on the plans for years, I've seen a 1964 plan that shows that as proposed. According to my son who got this from M Arpin, the next big investment is more snow making capacity.
snow report
David@traxvax, Any plans for MORE lifts, 2.8 km is a long drag to Italy
snow conditions
The couple thought it was on the cards in about 2 years, and what with the new lifts - especially Eucherts - it sounded reasonable. Of course, they could well have been talking about the weather, such is the quality of my French!

Snow making? With their record and resort height? Still with the way things (climate change, snow line etc) are going, it'll never be cheaper than now I suppose.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy