Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Twin tips but not for use in park

Poster: A snowHead
DO a lot of people buy twin tips nowadays but never use them in the park, ie for off piste and backcountry?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, I suspect they do....and they might like the fact that TT's ski a bit shorter and are pretty easy to throw around in difficult stuff...

I personally think they can be a bad idea on-piste if you get the lenght too short as this makes the ski unstable in a fast carve...IME
Off piste, they do pretty well so not many probs there
I find the tail catch can be a bit of a nuisance at first tho' so ski wider.......

My ideal would be for a semi-twin about 5-10cms over head-height ...........or not to bother with them..just so the tails can be more useful when back sliding
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
suprise of the ski test for me was the Amplid C7 ...in 185 a twin tip GS ski...smooth, solid and a great ski all round.....not what i expected from a niche brand who normally are associated with park and pipe skis
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I normally ski 170 with flat tail but tried some 180 TTs last year, seemed okay. Why should the tail catch happen more often?
so 10cm longer ok on piste?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I also think that they do.

I've a pair of semi-twins and like the fact that they ski a little shorter on harder snow, but have the full length in contact in deeper stuff. They also help when back sliding and I'm trying to ride switch properly.

Can be a PITA when trying to herring-bone uphill though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep. It surprises many people, but most twins are normal skis with a turny uppy bit at the back, rather than the work of satan.

It's also possible to land backwards* without being on a specific bit of furniture covered piste surrounded by park rats with their goggles on oddly going "yeah brah!", as well.

*no warranty or representation is made as to this skiers ability to remain upright after landing backwards
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc wrote:

Can be a PITA when trying to herring-bone uphill though.

yeah especially centre mountained..end up looking like a drunk charlie chaplin..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GordonFreeman, How tall are you...and how fast do you go down hill..? if they are stable enough for you then no problem

If you are really canning it then that 5-10cms at the back can make all the diff, IMV... most piste carvers designed to go pretty fast will have a strong tail and be fully commited to the end of the ski...
That gives it stability out of the turn at fast speeds, IMV..

The tail catch is also apparent on boning up inclines..which is a little nuisance at best... but I do ski quite close togother at times so if you are skiing lazy then they may grab...it is the tail stability that puts me off...but that soft tail engagment really works well off-piste and makes the ski easy through the turn so you get all the advantages of a large float as the tail still works when sunken but it lets the ski engage and release well whilst there........
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
6ft and reasonably fast but not crazy speeds like some
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the only issue i really found is that the edge hold isn't as good as my non TT skis on icey steeps...but theres probably a number of reasons for this rather then just being TT. Pushing shorter faster turns then I used to overcomes this weakness to some extent..just more knackering.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not all TTs are designed for Park use. My Line Prophets are a full TT, but designed more for off piste use. The TT is there just for those who like to throw the odd trick off jumps. The TTs don't seem to have any adverse affect on piste. Certainly nothing I notice. They kick up a nice plume of powder too Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have switched to TTs as a couple of times on steep ground in forests I've skied back a few feet after getting off line and the tails have dug in. Twins are much easier to manage. Plus I'm enjoying learning how to ski backwards on easy slopes. Landing jumps fakie will be next... maybe rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I really hate square/flat tails in trees, too. Pain in the back bottom if you ever misjudge and need to slide out backwards a little and the tail just digs in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC, I've fallen over due to that happening. Or spent ages trying to bounce my way out.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I find skiing switch to be one of the most satisfying parts of skiing.

Over taking somebody in the tuck position, whilst you are skiing switch, also in the tuck position and seeing the look on their face is one of the rarest pleasures in life.
snow report
buckers, I'm still on the green (or flatish blue bit) slopes as I don't feel confident enough to turn around people safely when switch. When it does come together it sure feels good though.
snow report
Hi
I bought some k2 extremes 164 this year and found them great.
I am of a reasonable standard (used to ski when I was a kid but have boarded for last 10 years) and found them to be quite forgiving but stable at speed.
Other people will have better views than me, but I was impressed.
Incidentally, the salomon sth12 bindings are fantastic.
snow report
GordonFreeman wrote:
DO a lot of people buy twin tips nowadays but never use them in the park, ie for off piste and backcountry?

I did (Rossignol Scratch Blings in a 170) for off-piste, piste, edge of piste, learning to ride switch and general larking around on kickers and jumps. Having been down a half-pipe a good few years ago on a pair of snowblades I don't think I'll be taking the skis into the park as it frightened me witless!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy