Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow ball. re Obertauern..

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
where do you go in the tauern when you venture off piste?
I like to stay in sight of an exit back onto the runs and have never hired a guide there yet, is there loads more hidden stuff
turn right at thetop of Gam 1 and gonig under th elift was my first trip odd piste ever , but that was marked as a run on my map at the time.. left off the top of the Zentrabahn and over the top there and more recently off the ridge from seekereck, tho i always keep left on the way down to get onto red 8? can u make it from there all the way to the fun park runs?
was tempted to go off the edge from the bubble car this time but wasnt too sure were any rocks or drop offs were, plus my mate was on skis and shattered by this time.. have you ever been off the other side of gam2?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A few years since I've been and it was always with a guide as a day out from La Grave, and we never skied the pistes, so I never really learned the names.
I'll look on a piste map and see if I can work it out.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there is loads, i just can't remember exactly where [it was snowing heavily all the time i was there] our guide just kept dropping off the side of the piste in between trees and we found some seriously good waist deep pow Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
None of the routes I've skied was off the sides of pistes, unless you count coming out of the tunnel and traversing right as soon as possible - ending up skiing down the gorge to Vaujany (it involved a bit of poling early on, but a huge route - off piste all the way).
Most of the routes involved Pic Blanc: going straight on through the netting at the top where the pistes go right.
I have a feeling one or two of the others may be pistes now since I'm finding it hard finding the empty valley I remember in one case, and I don't think Chateau Noir was a piste either.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball wrote:
...Most of the routes involved Pic Blanc: going straight on through the netting at the top where the pistes go right.
...(it involved a bit of poling ...)

I expect it did Shocked Shocked

Alpe d'Huez to Obertauern is a heck of a distance!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Alpe d'Huez to Obertauern is a heck of a distance

Shocked CANV CANVINGTON, suggest you ask an ADH guide to quote you for a ski adventure all the way rolling eyes My guess is around 6 weeks in huts would be required...

There's some mistake here surely...no-one would ski from ADH to Obertauern...Snowball may be confusing Obertauern with somewhere else??
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plake, that's arbee's point - snowball has clearly got Obertauern confused with ADH (which is where all the features are that he describes).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brilliant!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Assuming this is about Obertauern, I'll offer up an answer. I first have to note that I was only there two days, and the weather shut down a number of lifts. Gamsleiten II did not open at all, for instance.

As you write, there is some decent skiing if you go skier's left off the Gams I lift. I found the best snow in the trees if you stay somewhat left rather than heading back towards the lift. You eventually come out on the cat tracks that lead back to the Gams I or Zehnerkargahn lifts. None of this is particularly steep.
Stay in the Trees Lots o' Powder

The ski route of the Hundskogelbahn lift gets you to some nice areas, too. Again, heading farther out skier's left gets you to the better part of it. The main route seemed indistiguishable from the regular piste, it was getting so much traffic. There are some moderately steep sections, and it is a little tight between the rocks in places, but nothing very extreme. This involves an annoying amoutn of polling/skating on the cross country trails to get back to the lift.
Next Up Skied Out Very Quickly

Finally, turning off of the 3b blue run from the Schaidbergbahn and heading into the trees. There are some fairly steep points, and the trees can be quite narrow. There are also some small gullies to negotiate. It's good, but requires a bit more attention. You pop out of the trees at the field that serves as the beginners area, which can produce some interesting looks from people.
Gap in the Trees Treed Slope from the Bottom

All of these options are quite short, but that's sort of inevitable given the limited vertical of the place.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ami in berlin, your photos bring back some good memories of Obertauern - I was there 3 weeks ago. Although I didn't ski off piste, I did spot loads of fantastic powder if you wanted to venture off piste. Even below the lifts there was masses of the stuff. Quite off saw skiers darting in and out of the trees

The weather was pretty glorious too (well on a couple of days)

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/16124/ppuser/1220
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy