Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what ski length?

Poster: A snowHead
im looking at buying some alpine, on piste skis (Volkl Tiger), which are 164cm in length. As these are the first skis iv bought im not sure if the length is right for me.

i am just under 6ft(5'11ish) and about 82kg. i am an intermediate skiier and ill be sticking to on piste only. Would 164cm skis be suitable for me?

thanks guys Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would go for something longer if I were you, I am shorter and lighter than you and ski 172s. It depends what you want them to do though as they will turn really quickly, they just won't be qiute as stable at speed.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spike1700 wrote:
im looking at buying some alpine, on piste skis (Volkl Tiger), which are 164cm in length. As these are the first skis iv bought im not sure if the length is right for me.

i am just under 6ft(5'11ish) and about 82kg. i am an intermediate skiier and ill be sticking to on piste only. Would 164cm skis be suitable for me?

thanks guys Smile

i'm about same height and weight as you and i ski 170's i tried a pair of head 163's and to me they just felt odd.
i dont have enough technical knowledge to explain why, but it just wasn't right.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bah, posted under my brother alias. Its a tough decision as i can get the skis just within my budget and i cant see myself getting better skis for any cheaper. Sad

Would 185 skis be too long do you think?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They seem to be a sort of GSy ski for intermediate skiers (according to the Volkl website). So I'd guess the 164 would be a bit short and the 185 a bit long.

What have you skiied on before?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thats the problem, both skis are just within my budget (£100) but one seems too long one too short. I used to ski some old atomic skis that were a good 4-5 years old (mum's old skis) but they are in storage (they moved abroad) so i dont have access to them for another 18months. Iv been skiing for as long as i can remember, so im a good intermediate, but i do like to ski fast when i can.

damn Sad

edit; best picture i can find of my old skis, they must have been around 165cm in length?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 20-03-09 13:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If in doubt buy the longer ones. Better to have a ski that's a bit more effort to turn & stable at speed than vica versa IMO. Especially if you like to go fast!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whatever the manufacturer states then up a size.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
164cm is way too short.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spike1700,
I'm about the same size as you and ski a Scott Neo at 176cm. Like many of the new all mountain skis it skis shorter than its length on piste but the full length comes into play on softer snow. I find it perfect on piste excellent edge hold easy to switch edges. I tried the shorter version in Tamworth but was not good on edge hold and felt too short almost too easy to turn. I've not skied the Volkl so cant comment on it. It would be good if you can demo a pair and then decide if you need them longer or shorter.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had 165cm length hire skis in Courmayeur last week and they seemed about right for me. I'm 174cm tall and weigh 75kg and an intermediate piste-only skier, so this would suggest 164 is a little short for you...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Andehh, I'm 5'11" and 77kg and ski 165cm Aotmic SL12's which are slalom ski's.... Volkl's equivalent is one of the Race Tiger range I think... but if the Volkls you're looking at are GS ski's then you probably need to go 5-10cm longer to get the best out of them...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry to bump an old post everyone but this is something I have wondered also. I've always had my ski's given to me and have never noted or questioned the length provided - just trusted the rental guy and teken them back if they were unstable or too easy or loose to turn with.

I'm buying my first set of ski's in a couple of months and it would be good to get an idea on which size would suit me best. I'm generally on piste only, intermediate skier (comfortable red and push myself on black runs), 5ft9 and weigh 65kg.

Also, any particular make people would recommend in the mid range bracket?

Thanks,
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NomadicBoo, are you looking for a short radiused slalom like ski, or a more longer radiused giant slalom like ski?

For a slalom like ski I'd guess 155 or even 150 as you're pretty light and for a GS type more nearer 160/165.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
5'9" is about 175cm
5-10 cm less for a GS type ski with a radius of 17+ m = 165-170.
15-20 cm less for a slalom-type ski (radius 11-15m) = 155-160.
So, I would say at the top end of Mosha Marc's estimates.
17 +/- 2 m is the radius I would look for, but that is a personal preference.
Makes - any if you find them at the right price. Blizzard seem to be making an effort to get back into the market.
snow conditions
With carving things changed quite a lot. There's not so much of rules like body height -/+ x centimeters, but more like how big radius do you want. Normally SL skis are around 165cm (I think 14m radius), while GS skis are between 190 and 195cm (>27m radius).
Ok this goes mostly for racing skis, but still, I doubt there's all that much difference between racing and non-racing skis.
ski holidays
primoz, You are right for racers, but for non-experts going to 27m and skis above head height would be excessive. Going above 21m would be for off-piste only IMO.
Perhaps using the slalom and GS designations was not helpful, as NomadicBoo will not be looking at racing skis per se, but I would say the general advice on length plus radius holds true.
latest report
primoz, sl skis 165 only for blokes, typically 155 for girls. GS typical 180 for blokes, 185 for serious racers. Head height - -10cm sounds more like it for piste intermediates (persons weight having quite a lot to do with it).
latest report
Hi Beequin - you're right! Thanks for all the input guys but unfortunately I am no where near as knowledgable as you guys so have no idea which kind of ski will be best.

From what I can make out as I'm only intermediate and staying on piste, SL skis would be best and at my height and weight at about 150-155? Any suggestions or links so I could see something tangible?

Sorry for being a dummy but I've always gone skiing with people far more experienced than me! This is great for learning and pushing myself (I succesfully completed a black run on my 5th ever day) but bad for the knowledge as they tend to just argue between themselves over what I should have, they choose it and give it me and never explain why! Therefore my technical knowledge is very limited (but I'm trying to improve!) Very Happy
ski holidays
Sorry, yes I should write these lengths are for men. For women are about 5-10cm shorter.
snow report
This won't help anyone answer the OP Embarassed but might be a useful extra discussion point.

I'm 182cm and 8Okg. On a recent trip, I skied on K2 Comanche 160cm as recommended by easiski and they were fab (on piste, of course).
latest report
Cool. Well firstly to clarify, I am a guy. (It must be my elegant writing style wink ).

These have just popped up in the sale for 130 GBP and in my size. I am reading some reviews on them now but does anyone else know if they're any good?

Head XRC 800 / Tyrolia RFD11

Cheers
snow conditions
Very reasonable ski for the improving intermediate, short radius and some nice adjustable railflex bindings. Should last you a few years.
latest report
I'm 5"11 and ski Rossignol Mutix R11 in 165 and find them ok with the short radius sl arms. Work ok for me.
snow conditions
Does anyone have any thoughts on these?

http://www.skiessentials.com/browse.cfm/4,1825.html

I know they're a 2007 model but brand new so if they were good then, then they would be good now. Also, as an intermediate would I be biting off more than I can chew if I went for these?

Length wise, they're 161 - I'm 5 ft 9, male, 10.5 stone. They would be about right?

Cheers
ski holidays
NomadicBoo wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on these?

http://www.skiessentials.com/browse.cfm/4,1825.html

I know they're a 2007 model but brand new so if they were good then, then they would be good now. Also, as an intermediate would I be biting off more than I can chew if I went for these?

Length wise, they're 161 - I'm 5 ft 9, male, 10.5 stone. They would be about right?

Cheers

Too short, find another pair.
snow report
Too short, find another pair.[/quote]

Seriously? I'm getting so confused by this length thing! On this exact thread I was told 150 - 160?

Cheers
ski holidays
NomadicBoo, the Volkl Tiger is a Slalom inspired ski so the 163 would be suitable for you if you were looking for a piste only ski for short slalom turns. Personally I think if you went for the Tiger the 170 would be a better ski for your weight and height.

I am asumming that http://www.volkl.com/ski/skis/TI2.php is the ski in question.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, that's the one! I'm mainly piste only so I think it would be OK. I think I'll hold off though as the likelyhood is after a few months skiing in NZ I would hope to develop to off-piste and more challenging terrain so this short ski may stifle my development somewhat.

I think I might just wait until I get there in June, visit a shop and see what they say. I'm guessing there's a decent selection of ski shops in NZ?

Cheers
ski holidays
NomadicBoo, If you're looking to get off piste in the future it's not the ski for you. Just be aware that buying in NZ in June gear will mostly be full price so if you know what you want you'll get a better deal buying here before you go.
ski holidays
Yeah - It's a bit of a catch 22 for me as I'm currently travelling in SE Asia, on to Oz for a couple of weeks early June before getting in to NZ mid June. Therefore, any ski I buy I will need the company to hold on to for me until I get there and pick them up which I'm not sure they will do!

Also, I'm a bit worried about buying them now and hating them the moment I get them on the slopes. And getting the length wrong worries me too as I can't really tell the difference between the skis I look at in terms of SL and GS but I'm fully aware the type of ski I buy will dictate the ideal length.

I'll keep looking and if I find the perfect deal I'll see how I can work it. Otherwise, I'm thinking I will pick up some 2nd hand or ex rental when I get there.
ski holidays
NomadicBoo, NZ shops carry good ranges and NZ has been hit hard by the econimic down turn also so you might be lucky and get a deal. Hopefully some shops will offering deals and most shops also do a demo deal where you pay to demo for the day then if you buy they take the price you paid for the demo off the price of the skis.
ski holidays
Cool. That's good info - thanks for your help.

Also, massively off topic but as you're a resident there could I possibly pick your brains about something?

I'm considering possibly starting a business in NZ - I want to open a lodge or hostel somewhere close to a major ski field but with year round business from extreme sports and other activities. I've been doing a fair bit of research online but I'm really waiting until I'm there to look in detail. But from what you see are many lodges/bars/hostels etc for sale at the mo? Has the downturn massively reduced property prices? I know from a banker there that they're being extremely cautious with lending at the mo.

Thanks for any info.
latest report
NomadicBoo, really can't help you there sorry. I've been in Europe for 12-13 years now. From what I hear from friends and family prices are comming down but I also hear that NZ is 6 months behind europe in this econimic down turn.
ski holidays
Ahhh sorry - thought you were based there now. No worries - thanks for all the help. Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy