Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach or Obergurgl?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Almost ready to book next years family ski trip - 2nd January looking most likely date. Have sourced a couple of reasonably priced hotels (via TO Shocked ), one in Saalbach and one in Obergurgl. Both resorts have been on my radar for a while now, but I tend to 'play safe' and head for the Arlberg.

Have visited Saalbach during the summer for a couple of days whilst at Kaprun and really liked the look of it - lot's of tree lined runs etc (which I could have done with a couple of weeks ago in Stuben).

My kids will be 6 9 and 12 and have had 4 weeks skiing under their belts, with the exception of the youngest who has had 2 (primarily around nursery slopes - although he did ski with us from Stuben to the Mooserwirt one day - no easy task for a beginner)

I am probably aware of the pros and cons of each resort but wondered if any of you guys have experienced both and what would be better in your opinion for a family holiday. Like the idea of experiencing Saalbach's apres, and like the idea of Obergurgl's guaranteed snow.

Get the impression that Obergurgl will be more expensive than Saalbach once there - is this true?

Anyway, responses as usual appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't say there's a lot to choose between them on prices once you're there.

Saalbach does have pretty wild drink fuelled apres in places and is far more like StAnton (for example) than Obergurgl is. If this is one of your key drivers then go for it! Obergurgl is IMHO a little more sedate and sohpisticated but it does get lively in a couple of places when the slopes close. Obergurgl's nightlife is centred more around the hotels whereas Saalbach has more bars.

The crowd in Obergurgl probably has a slightly higher average age, it's not really got a great deal of cheap accommodation, it has a better snow record, although Saalbach doesn't do too badly early season in general as the weather often hits Austria first.

Obergurgl is a lot higher (village approx the height of Saalbachs peaks) so it will be a lot colder in deepest winter which may be a consideration with kids in tow...

If the kids are going to ski school and you're skiing alone and at pace you'll have done Obergurgl before day 1 is out.... Saalbach will take 1 and a half wink

From obergurgl u can take a day trip on the bus to Solden for a change and this has a glacier... from Saalbach u can take a day trip to loads of other resorts... Zell, Kaprun, Kitz, Maria Alm, Dienten etc etc... but Kitz excepted they're all pretty low with peaks higher than 2000m a rarity... if next year is a poor snw year, or a late snow year, or a year when it comes from the south and italy gets it all, then Saalbach may suffer and the glacier at Kitz will be crowded as hell!

I really like both resorts for different reasons but Obergurgl would probably just edge it for a family holiday woth younger kids..... no doubt you'll get votes for both though!!! wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boabski,
Never been to either but one thing that people talk about is the 'guaranteed snow ' in high resorts.
Whereas to all intents and purposes I am sure you are more likely to get lots of snow at altitude it is also true in my experience that more days are lost skiing due to bad weather than to lack of snow which affects high resorts more than lower tree lined resorts. particularly nowadays with improvements in snow making.
If you are going very low season is the Kitz glacier still busy if lower conditions are poor?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Whereas to all intents and purposes I am sure you are more likely to get lots of snow at altitude it is also true in my experience that more days are lost skiing due to bad weather than to lack of snow which affects high resorts more than lower tree lined resorts. particularly nowadays with improvements in snow making.

One of the most sensible things I have read on here about 'snowynessness' for ages!

I like Saalbach (haven't been to Obergurgl). Plenty of skiing available for your family, you can normally get above the morning valley mist which usually clears at about 10/11ish. Good runs and a good evening (although slightly resorty rather than a village feel)...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="flangesax"]
Quote:

One of the most sensible things I have read on here about 'snowynessness' for ages!

Totally agree. Having just spent a week in Stuben (probably one of the best snow records in the Alps being next door to Zurs) we had awesome snow but terrible visability for 3.5 days out of 6. This is the thing which makes Saalbach appealing to me - yes the snow will not be as abundant as Obergurgl but they've got loads of snow making plus if it is snowing at both places (quite likely at start of year?) at least Saalbach has lots of tree lined runs
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't forget as well that Saalbach is known for grassy terrain and Obergurgl for rocky. So 20cm in Saalbach may ski better than 1m in Obergurgl!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski wrote:

I am probably aware of the pros and cons of each resort but wondered if any of you guys have experienced both and what would be better in your opinion for a family holiday.

I went for a day to Obergurgl when I went for a week to Solden. I wasn't particularly fussed about going back. Didn't help that the conditions were better in Solden at the time. But even with the family it wouldn't be particularly high on my list.

I've been to Saalbach-Hinterglemm without the family and I would seriously consider going back with the family. It seemed like there was more to do off the slopes, useful if the bairns didn't want to ski every day. The ski area is a bit more interesting. It's prettier, since the treeline is about the same height as the tops. The apres is better.

It's worth keeping in mind that S-H is mosty grass underneath the snow, so it doesn't need all that much snow to get going.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boabski, the snowmaking in Saalbach/Hinterglemm is very extensive, so the pistes should always be in good condition even when there's hardly any natural snow. Off-Piste will be a different story of course...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the help folks. Think I am now tending to lean towards Saalbach or Hinterglemm.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

the snowmaking in Saalbach/Hinterglemm is very extensive, so the pistes should always be in good condition even when there's hardly any natural snow.

..... except if temperatures are too warm to use the snow cannons extensively you could end up with the south facing half of the valley being pretty bare....

Also if the early season snow hits the Milky Way in Italy / France first rather than Austria, which has happened in the past, although more often than not Austria & the northern alps gets better snow early season...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy