Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sun out; no longer feel urge to ski

Poster: A snowHead
Having spent the last month since my return half planning another week, suddenly the spring has arrived and I no longer feel the same desperate urge to ski. Anybody else feel the same? (Judging by the number of posts on here, skiing is no longer foremost in all minds.)

Instead I am planning a salmon fishing trip to Scotland, and a major attack on my new garden seems more exciting than does another week on the slopes.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
James the Last wrote:
a major attack on my new garden seems more exciting than does another week on the slopes.

Mods, can we ban James? Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
seconded.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cast him out Shocked wink Laughing

James the Last, I'm away to La Rosiere on Sunday.......... can you guess what I'm mostly thinking about at the moment Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
James the Last, ....strange man !
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
James the Last, r u having a laugh? Off to Risoul this Sunday, can't wait!!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm still not quite over my recent trip to Courmayeur and I'd much rather be there still (back at work today). However, the start of spring is time for me to save up and put my motorbike back on the road. That helps me to deal with the sorrow of no skiing for another year...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
James the Last, Cycling season beckons...and you can still be in the mountains to do that... Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
James the Last, sorry mate... can't agree with you... off to Lech at Easter to "ski the firn" then planning to do my BASI Level 1 course at the finest of all ski resorts.... erm... Tamworth SnowDome wink

I say ban him too!!!!! wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
James the Last, You must subscribe to the TO's thoughts than a ski season is only two months long, Christmas to the end of Feb.

Personally I've still got another 5 weeks to go for my next last fix and I feel it's pull already.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
James the Last, I know what you mean, I have started cycling more and doing other things. But I have a 2nd trip planned and am looking forward to some spring skiing. Ok the snow may not be as good as mid-Jan but I'm hoping I won't be so cold either!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
James the Last, heretic!!!!! Toofy Grin

Actually, salmon fishing sounds good. Going myself on Friday to a lake that's stocked with them up to 20lb - will be very interesting; a 5-wt with some nice size 20 klinkies me thinks Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
James the Last, heretic!!! You should be burnt at the stake. Despite our season ending after one day, I am still thinking of the snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last, you want your head sorting!

Dwarf Vader,
Quote:
Personally I've still got another 5 weeks to go for my next last fix and I feel it's pull already

33 sleeps till we see you snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tiny little pots have seeds and still I look forward to spring skiing hitting the corn snow just as it changes wonderful, love that skiing in the sun.

I say he needs treatment, electric shock therapy? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Sadly, those of us like me who have had their annual ski trip this season have another year to wait. I'm already thinking I should refrain from this site for a bit to try and get over this pain. Or maybe by sticking around I can prolong that post-ski feeling...?
snow report
Specialman wrote:

Actually, salmon fishing sounds good. Going myself on Friday to a lake that's stocked with them up to 20lb - will be very interesting; a 5-wt with some nice size 20 klinkies me thinks Smile

EH??? I think you mean rainbow trout. I was thinking of salmon - Scottish rivers.
snow report
Have been back for 4 days from my 2nd trip of the season. We skied for 5 days and had 4.5 days of heavy snow and poor viz. Although we had a great time, the mounded fresh snow and poor viz have knocked hell out of my body. My knees are still on fire and the body feeels like I should give up skiing altogether. I know where you are coming from.
latest report
It's certainly different at this time of year. Warm, warm, sun at the moment. Sitting on chairlifts, enjoying the ride and the view, being almost sorry you've got to the top and wondering whether to go round again. Sitting in the sun eating Beaufort sandwiches with a cold beer in a snow-hole beside you. Breakfast at 8 am on the terrace, in sunnies. Realising that there's about an hour as the snow softens when it's just like skiing powder (well, a bit like skiing powder. wink ). I am thinking about spring though. Thinking about the flowers which will be crowding the pistes next time we're back, and the deep resinous silence in the pine woods. And more breakfasts on the terrace....

FtS is right about the toll on the body though. It's a time of year for shorter skiing days, knocking off before the snow gets too dodgy, and putting your feet up with a book.
snow report
Quote:

My knees are still on fire and the body feeels like I should give up skiing altogether.

Ditto after a week of skiing/stag do in Ischgl in similar conditions by the sound of it. I'm broken.

(Still looking forward to the next trip though!)
snow conditions
James the Last, nope, salmon stocked into a stillwater. £150 per day. There are a few places doing it these days - there's one in Shropshire, one in Northants and one down south I believe. I think fishery owners are trying to aim at a new market, those anglers who want big, big fish (much like when Avington and Dever Springs started) but not of the rainbow/brownie variety. The thing is, big salmon like big trout won't always feed so it's deffo going to be a lottery as to if you catch. Mind you, that's fishing in general....

By the way, I went to Ireland last year and was fishing for salmon on trout gear in lochs - brilliant way of targetting them. Fishing a 6-wt rod, 5lb tippet on a slow-sink inter pulling lures through the surface wash. Had an 8lb coloured fish that took me a good 25 minutes to get into the boat. It was as good a day as when i had a double-figure overwinterwd rainbow from Ravensthorpe ressie.
ski holidays
well just booked for this saturday...and have been pondering the affordability of south america this summer..but if theres no snow then theres still mountain bike holidays in the alps to plan.
snow report
Has James the Last been banned yet?
snow report
i had 3 days of shocking weather but one day of the best sunshine powderi have ever had... im shaping up for one more short trip, even if its only to lie around on a deck chair outside a bar. feeling pretty battered myself, took a few big tumbles
snow conditions
James the Last, Wash your mouth out with soap Shocked Shocked and then, if you really must talk about gardening, do it here....

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=50524&highlight=
snow report
James the Last wrote:
Specialman wrote:

EH??? I think you mean rainbow trout. I was thinking of salmon - Scottish rivers.

And just when did you last see a 20lb rainbow?
ski holidays
Not my fish but here's a 23lb rainbow: http://www.deversprings.com/intro.html

...and here's that double from Ravensthorpe. Don't get these in Tesco!!!!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 17-03-09 16:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Specialman, That's bonkers.

Even there, they say the average is 6lbs, and I thought anything over 10lbs was pretty good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alan empty wrote:
James the Last wrote:
a major attack on my new garden seems more exciting than does another week on the slopes.

Mods, can we ban James? Very Happy

There's no point. Surely if the urge to ski has gone, he can't last long now wink
snow conditions
James the Last, Just got the calculator out and reckon I've still got 47% of this seasons skiing to come, so no I don't feel any lack of urge to ski. Been casting a few guilty looks at my dejected track bike in the garage though and considering bolting on a few of the new bits for this season to make it feel more loved.
snow report
alex_heney, Dever Springs, Shimano Felindre and Avington all pioneered big trout growth, 'frankentrout' to many people. basically they're genetically modified trout that are grown-on very quickly up to double figures or more in just a few years. The thing about them is a trout's heart grows very slowly and a 30lb fish's heart is marginally bigger than a five-pounder's so they don't put up with catch-and -release, hence why most are bonked on the head. They're usually very fatty too so taste rubbish.

They came about in the early 90s when small stillwater trout fishing was booming because we still had a general close season on rivers, lakes and canals. The boom was huge and virtually overnight, a whole host of small trout waters sprung up to service coarse anglers who for three months of the year couldn't fish for anything but trout. Now, with only rivers having a close season (for coarse fish) small stillwater trouting has definitely peaked (it's still very popular mind).

The record for a rainbow is well over 30lb - this link (http://www.fishingdartmouth.co.uk/record_rainbow_fraud.htm) has images of an old catch that may or may not be the current record. Brown trout, which are regarded by many as superior because they're indigenous (rainbows are imported and called steelheads in the US) go to over 30lb in the wild - the record is from Loch Awe (http://www.loch-awe.co.uk/fishing.html). These large 'ferox' trout are proper predators and are usually caught on deadbaits and lures rather than fly.

alex_heney wrote:
.... and I thought anything over 10lbs was pretty good.

It is. Small stillwaters won't stock that many big double unless they're charging a premium for a bag limit (£50-plus) and then they'll set the limit at one or two fish. Most stocked waters carry fish about a pound or two because these are young, fit and best of all, cheap. If you charge the average schmuck £20 to fish and they can take five fish, those fish cost about a £1.50 each so you've effectively made £12.50. If you stock a 10lb fish that'll be about £50 so you have to stock fewer, which makes the fishing harder and the chances of you going bust less.

Reservoirs are a different mater. They stock fish at about 2lb but think about the size of the water and you can quickly see why the fish that overwinter (survive the winter) grow so big when they're feeding on fry in the spring. If they're not caught for a few seasons they can soon put a big weight on and that's when they become so prized - a 10lb fish from a ressie is worth numerous grown-on small stillwater thirties, depending on your point of view. They put about 100,000 fish each year into Rutland but at 1300 acres, that's much less than the several 1000 fish they put into a two-acre fishery every fortnight.
snow report
I must also point out
Quote:

Sun out;

Is totally factually wrong, infact we got a cold wind. Can I smell snow in it?
snow conditions
My season's been over since the 2nd of January Sad

Would give anything to go away now... But im just in the process of booking summer beach holiday Shocked
snow report
10 days 'til I head out to ADH and without the missus too Smile
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
Having spent the last month since my return half planning another week, suddenly the spring has arrived and I no longer feel the same desperate urge to ski. Anybody else feel the same? (Judging by the number of posts on here, skiing is no longer foremost in all minds.)

Instead I am planning a salmon fishing trip to Scotland, and a major attack on my new garden seems more exciting than does another week on the slopes.

Feb to May is easily the best time of the year for skiing.

It is sunnier and warmer than Nov to Jan, with plenty of snow still around.
latest report
James the Last, just been on the bike in the woods for a couple of hours - lovely. At the weekend I will start my seed planting campaign for spring.

...but no - I'd still rather be skiing
latest report
Timberwolf wrote:
Cast him out Shocked wink Laughing

James the Last, I'm away to La Rosiere on Sunday.......... can you guess what I'm mostly thinking about at the moment Puzzled

what - whether they'll be any snow left of those lovely south facing slopes?
latest report
No. I love spring skiing.
latest report
Markus wrote:
... But im just in the process of booking summer beach holiday Shocked

What's one of them when it's at home. NehNeh Toofy Grin
latest report
geepee wrote:
Markus wrote:
... But im just in the process of booking summer beach holiday Shocked

What's one of them when it's at home. NehNeh Toofy Grin

I dont even know, its my first one...

Hopefully something like this...