Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Alps are blitzed by snow

Poster: A snowHead
The Alps are currently experiencing one of the heaviest snowstorms in recent years, with over 1 metre of new snow on some slopes, and pistes shut down while preparation and avalanche-blasting work takes place. Maximum avalanche warnings are in force for some regions. This storm is forecast to continue for several days, with heaviest precipitation expected in parts of Switzerland and Austria...

The storm caused Saturday's cancellation of the strategic Hahnenkamm downhill in Kitzbuhel (for only the fifth time in its history, according to the BBC), the rare closure of Geneva Airport on Sunday and avalanche fatalities in St Anton (see separate news reports).

Reports and photos from snowHeads in the mountains have been reaching our Snow Report section. A clearer picture will emerge today, but anyone thinking of a trip before high season could take advantage of some great conditions between now and early February, subject to the snowpack stabilising with continued cold weather.

Current snow deposition and avalanche information (Switzerland): Swiss Federal Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research.
Current snow forecasts: www.snow-forecast.com ... www.meteofrance.com (map for northern French Alps)

Other weather links, snowcam links and snow report links welcome!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 24-01-05 10:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This report on ifyouski.com states that the Val d'Isere tourist office is claiming "126cm of fresh snowfall since yesterday", roads closed and warnings to children not to play near buildings (presumably in view of the risk of snowpack falling from roofs).

Wrap up warm: low temperatures have now set in. At the time of writing, the temperature on the Klein Matterhorn (admittedly highest cablecar station in Europe) is -26C, but temperatures are deep below freezing across the Alps.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here is the - transformed - snow situation across the French mountains, according to the SkiFrance french national snow bulletin (which doesn't include depths but seems quite objectively reported, on past performance).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A summary from the BBC on the situation across the Alps.
Quote:
In the French resort of Val d'Isere, children have been urged not to play near buildings as the snow could slide off the rooftops and bury them.
Quote:
Many ski resorts have also been cut off. An avalanche fell across the road leading up to the French resort of Tignes, while in the Swiss resort of Verbier a coach skidded across the mountain road and blocked the road in both directions for several hours.
Quote:
Other resorts including Avoriaz and Les Arcs were cut off as the authorities closed the roads for fear of avalanches.
(the road up to Arc 2000 was closed for a while but not the remainder of the resort)..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, despite my convoluted "Eurostar" return journey home at the weekend, it looks like we were lucky to get out of Tignes when we did!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They give wind speed at the top in Courchevel of 4020 km/hr!! I hope that's not right!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jane, that does seem slightly high Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just have a look at this for a wonderful sight.

OK i'm still a dummy, but I think the link works.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 26-01-05 10:19; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Bish, replace the ] after the first url with = and add a / before the second url.....and you'll have cracked it wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Incredible photo Chris Bish.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Ferme, Villaroger - click for full res image
Rather poignant today, this scene taken from the terrasse of the Ferme restaurant in Villaroger this morning, showing the excellent snow cover at lower altitude - even right down to the valley floor (looking down the Tarentaise). Beauty and tragedy combined - as we were admiring the view, just above us an off-piste British boarder had been buried by an avalanche and the rescue services were unable to reach him in time (see snowNews report) Sad Sad Sad .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have just got back from Samoens and saw all the heavy snow, and luckily missed the Geneva airport chaos. So much snow fell in a short time, we were constantly digging the car out to get around the village, but it should give some great snow conditions over the next few weeks as it was mighty cold yesterday on the hill.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG, I had lunch at la Ferme only 2 weeks ago! And there certainly wasn't snow like that Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Latest on snow-blitzed Switzerland: on Wednesday, the ever-punctual trains between Geneva and Lausanne were halted for two hours by snow drifting on to the tracks. Very high winds affected local mountains. World leaders to the World Economic Forum in Davos had their high-profile helicopter transfers from Zurich affected.

This report from Mail & Guardian online.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I bet that got the swiss train authorities into a fluster; " snow on the line .... big time " Laughing
snow conditions
I can almost hear the rail authority (whatever they call themselves) over here, making a mental log of that one to spin their way out of the next snowfall here that suspends trains Laughing
latest report
Mark Hunter, I think you mean "snowflake" wink
ski holidays
laundryman, good point Laughing
latest report
...or the wrong type of snow!!
latest report
Anyone know the longer term forecast for February? We're due to arrive in Les Menuires on 4th February for a week.
snow conditions
From next Tuesday temperatures will rise considerably according to the forecast, with the possibility of a small front passing over the Tarentaise Tuesday to Wednesday night, perhaps some more snow. Clearing Thursday, some cloud/precipitation Friday. That's as far as it goes, and no doubt it will all have changed radically by the middle of next week!
snow report
No doubt it will change again! Thanks for this - I'll keep my fingers crossed for blue skies and immaculate pistes from the 4th!
snow conditions
Oh, and welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead , Tufty Bear!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy