Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

driving to the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone ever driven to the Alps?
Looks like a 12 hour trip?
Is it worth it in comparison to airport waiting time, car rental transferrals, etc.?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What part of the Alps are you thinking of driving to?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GordonFreeman, We have driven to the Alps for the past two summers, and from Dunkerque to the Portes du Soleil or Mont Blanc areas, it's about 9 hours. This is on good roads without major peak week delays and congestion, or any real hassles. It will be different at half term etc as many on here will advise! As to whether it's worth it - depends on your viewpoint. We enjoy the journey and freedom of knowing we can stop as and when - we could stay somewhere overnight en route if we wanted and could find a handy hotel (there are loads of them just off the motorways) - and like having the car in resort, so we can go off for the day. As to whether it's cheaper when you add up the ferry, tolls, petrol etc., you'd need to do a bit of research and I don't have the figures in my head, sorry Very Happy . If you are someone who likes to get to where they are going as quickly as possible, then flying is probably better for you
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think petrol would probably make it a bit more expensive but the time hassle might make up for a bit and door to door ability to get everywhere.
What about Verbier - that's some extra distance...though perhaps going on the Autobahn in Germany might make up some time Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GordonFreeman, I've driven from Rotterdam to Zermatt, Zeebrugge to Verbier (Nedaz to be precise) and last year did Rotterdam - Wengen- Zermatt.

I reckon on about 12 hours journey time to Verbier or Zermatt. You can take a route that cuts through Germany and hit the Autobahn. I did last year on the way to Wengen but it doesn't cut a lot of time off.

The main advantage of a car is the amount of stuff you can take with you but you will probably be able to it cheaper by plane.

I'm driving to Val Thorens next month going via the Tunnel for a change and I expect at least 9 hours from Calais to VT.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman, We have done this through the tunnel and straight out non stop - we got there 3 hours after those who flew from Birmingham, 1hr15 from where we all live, and a great deal less tired.

On the way home however they got home 4 hours earlier and a great deal less tired than we were. It seems a long way home without the excitement to bouy up the morale.

Costs - driveing was cheaper then, but petrol cost less and car hire more, not so sure now.

I enjoy stopping over en route though because it adds to the holiday. That said Mrs N feels her driving days are over and we now rate the train very highly snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geepee wrote:
... I expect at least 9 hours from Calais to VT.

Calais to Les Arcs was 9 and a half hours for us at Christmas, and I'd guess a similar time to Val Thorens.. That was travelling on a Sunday, and only stopping for two or three coffee & toilet stops. We ate a packed lunch in the car on the move. We played an audio book when driving and the whole thing was a pretty relaxed way to travel.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As others have said the Alps are very 'driveable', and the journey there is somehow both more satisfying and relaxing that travelling cattle class with the airlines. We've done it half a dozen times (all to the French Alps, 3V, Morzine, etc or to the Aosta Valley) and for a family of 6 it works out a lot cheaper than flying (especially now the cheap airlines charge £30 each for ski carriage).

However, when it's just the two of us, we prefer to fly as it does make the journey home seem so much shorter, and the cost balance swings the other way. We have also started skiing in Austria rather than France recently, and the journey time (when flying) is noticeably less. eg last year we flew East Mids to Ischlgl. Return journey we left the hotel at 08:45, and walked though our front door at 14.00 (local times). That felt good! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep - always drive to Les Arcs when we go.

It takes us between 10-12 hours, with stops, from Calais. Couple of hours in the UK side.

Generally we have an overnight stop and take our time - nice meal out etc

Personally, with 3-kids and associated clobber, I would not travel anyother way.

Ok private jet, helicopter and limo would do at a push
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Central Switzerland to Calais Port can be done in 9.5hrs inc. a half hour stop by one driver. There is a rather involved story as to how I know this {Cringe!!}
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We always drive nowadays, because of being here far too long to make car hire an economical proposition. The time it takes can vary a lot. On our last journey down (last week) there were snowploughs out on the autoroute just south of Langres. Not heavy snow, by any means, but enough to ensure that only a lunatic would have kept up the 130 kph we'd done for the northern part of the journey. There was snow - and snowploughs - off and on as we drove south, but only one section of really slow and heavy traffic, through one of the tunnels on the A40. That was a weekday - might be worse on a busy holiday weekend. Our journey took quite a lot longer, because of several hundred miles of seriously reduced speed - and also made the driving a bit more stressful. On other journeys we have had to stop long before we'd planned to because of very thick fog (though we did discover a lovely old (cheap) hotel in the middle of Dijon as a result, and they directed us to a pleasant bistro for dinner). On the way home in early February we went into one of those A40 tunnels in heavy rain and emerged a few miles later in equally heavy snow, which slowed everybody down to around 30 - 40 mph until we decided to call it a day and stop for the night.

That sort of eventuality can never be ruled out - sometimes makes the journey more exciting, but also makes it quite a lot more expensive!

For us, the Tunnel is by far the best way to cross the Channel. I know some people enjoy being able to trog up the stairs on a ferry, find somewhere to sit, and buy a meal, but it's not my idea of a pleasant way to pass the time, especially if it's a bit rough.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Drove for the 1st time this year to Laax in Swtizerland - absolutely motivated by cost !

Family of four (2 adults, 13yr old, 8yr old) Tour Operator Self Catering Appts (3*ish) at Half Term - Appt, flights and transfer, £2.5k Shocked

Overnight Ferry from Hull to Zebrugge - £420 (booked late so cost a little more and hi level supplement for roofbox)
Petrol to Laax- £200 inc return Journey
Apartment - £900 ish
Swiss motorway vignette - £30 ish
Small number of French Tolls - £20 ish
Extra meals for the extended journey times - £100 ish

Total Cost of ferry and drive - £1,650 Very Happy

This 1st time out we spent £300 on roof bars and a roofbox (which we wanted anyway for summer camping trips) and some snow chains cost us £70 but I'm looking at these as investments wink

The driving was fine - approx 9 hours driving time from Zeebrugge to Laax which was 10 hours journey time including quick toilet and petrol stops. My wife shared the driving which helped a lot - 9 hours driving is a long, long way to do on your own so sharing is important.

Driving also allowed us to take some food and drink which helps keep the costs down a bit in resort - hotdogs and beans for the kids, and beer and wine off the ferry for the adults !

We also drove out in resort a couple of times to nearby villages for nice meals at recommended restaurants so the increased freedom of having a car while we were there was great.

When we were considering all this we did look at booking flights, apartment and hire car seperately but because we can only go in school hols the cost of flights was a killer.

If cost was no issue then I would probably fly (I think) but if I can save over £800 by driving then its a no brainer for me with some nice little secondary benefits along the way !

Oh, one other thing - fill up here with Petrol - driving through Europe the petrol there was 1.21euros a litre against 90p a litre here. Swiss petrol prices appeared much cheaper so we again filled up while there before entering back into france on the return leg
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

9 hours driving is a long, long way to do on your own so sharing is important.

This is the most accurate of all comments!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

That really depends on experience, how used to driving long distances you are, how easy your car is to drive, road conditions, if you're well rested beforehand. I've never had a problem with driving to the Alps in one go, only stopping for fuel. I've done it solo 3 times now, but it's always nicer to have another driver.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GordonFreeman, a real plus which I forgot to mention, is that you can load the car and roof box with everything you could possibly need (and in our experience, a lot you will have absolutely no use for when there!) I'm thinking of the two kiddie travel cases on wheels, which our children packed with God knows what, and never even opened once we arrived! rolling eyes Laughing You CAN, however, take linen and towels, food for the first night/morning or more, wine and beer from the ferry or a Calais supermarket (cheaper than mountain resorts) etc., things that would simply be impossible to carry on a plane
latest report
We have done South Wales to Livigno in Italy on the Swiss border a number of times. It is a very long drive. Around 18 hours total basically following the route Clarkson took in the Bugatti Veryon. I've never personally driven it, rather sat in the back while my dad did all the hard work. Last year I flew home and it was a great deal quicker and dad brought all our kit back in the car saving extra airport charges. This year we are all flying. I don't think it will cost much more for us all to fly BA and it will be a lot quicker and save my dad a lot of stress. Although driving did seem to work when we were kids I dont think it is worth it now.
I suppose it all depends on what car you've got and how much you enjoy driving it.......Clarkson seemed to enjoy himself!
latest report
I drove to Grimentz, Switzerland for the first time last summer. Total driving time from Calais was 9 hours and distance was 565 miles.

For us, as a family of 4 it works out much cheaper (even with a car that only does 22mpg) than parking at airport, flying, hiring a car & putting the dog in kennels.
ski holidays
Anniepen wrote:
GordonFreeman, a real plus which I forgot to mention, is that you can load the car and roof box with everything you could possibly need (and in our experience, a lot you will have absolutely no use for when there!) I'm thinking of the two kiddie travel cases on wheels, which our children packed with God knows what, and never even opened once we arrived! rolling eyes Laughing You CAN, however, take linen and towels, food for the first night/morning or more, wine and beer from the ferry or a Calais supermarket (cheaper than mountain resorts) etc., things that would simply be impossible to carry on a plane

AND, having created space by consuming the above during your holiday, you can fill the car up for the return journey, saving £££ on what you would have to pay for same in GB.

You can travel at a time of day/day of week that suits you - no getting up at 1am to get to the airport for a 6am departure.
You can stop as often or as seldom as you like en-route - see something interesting from the coach during the transfer? ask the driver to stop?
You can carry as much luggage as you can fit safely in/on/behind your car - especially if you have young children...15 or 20 kilos per person on a plane?!
You don't have the hassle of having to move your luggage from taxi to airport, airport to transfer bus - you load your car, and unload it when you get there.
You don't have to sit next to the group of 17 yr olds that have been propping up the airport bar for the last four hours.
You have the advantage of having your car with you in resort.
You can ski on the saturday, when the slopes are empty because you can arrive and leave when you want, not when the tour operator says.
The list goes on...and on...
snow conditions
.............and if you have a couple of travel sick kids you can stop have a break and check they are ok - rather than having them chuck up over plane/coach/train. That's a benefit to everyone!
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

That really depends on experience, how used to driving long distances you are, how easy your car is to drive, road conditions, if you're well rested beforehand. I've never had a problem with driving to the Alps in one go, only stopping for fuel. I've done it solo 3 times now, but it's always nicer to have another driver.

I normally do the drive solo because I enjoy it. If the driving is tiring because of heavy traffic or bad weather Jane will do a few hours behind the wheel, but under normal conditions I go straight through without noticeable fatigue.
snow conditions
I drive out most years and much prefer it to flying because we can load the car with whatever we want to take particularly as we have kids. I just feel it adds to the whole holiday experience as you seeing different parts of France. Car can also come in handy in resort (depends which one) and means we can visit different resort for the day etc
snow conditions
Anyone who regularly does long distance driving in the UK will find it a breeze in France - it is a lot less stressful!

I wouldn't recommend a solo drive to anyone who isn't used to long-drives -
snow report
GordonFreeman, Over the last 20 years I've done many long european solo drives, French ski resorts, Spain, Czech Republic. I find the european roads 'usually' a pleasure. With the advent of sat navs its now so much easier.
There's lots of advice about preparation, what to take etc. on this Forum. One bit i'd advise is to ensure your vehicle is up to the task and you dont overfill it.
Unless you are going to have 3 or more passengers it probably wont save you money.
It does give you more flexability on the arrival times, so you can arrive in resort at 8:30 and ski. Time cost is that the journey time will probably be longer than a flight. I always now take an extra day and stay overnight near the resort. I have done the drive through the night method but I found I was too tired to appreciate the first days ski-ing.
ski holidays
rob@rar, so does hubby, although we do have an overnight stop fue to the extra distance from Durham .
snow report
Quote:

you can fill the car up for the return journey, saving £££ on what you would have to pay for same in GB.

not so much falls into that category at the moment! This trip, I bought loads of ground coffee (BOGOF in Tesco much cheaper than French supermarkets). Even brought d even wine (offers in Tesco, again). Beaufort cheese remains much cheaper in Beaufort though!
snow conditions
Yes I alsways have to drive 10 to 11 hours in my first day when skiing in the Alps. The wife leaves me to do all the driving once we are outside UK.

It can be a realist option if one can go more than 1 week so that the days wasted on travelling can be spread out.

It does possess the following advantages

(1) You can get cheap accommodation by staying away from the resorts, say within a radius of 20km. Accommodations for difficult access by public transport have to be cheap in order to attract clients.

(2) You can select quiet access points to ski any resort.

(3) Queuing isn't normally a problem because you should be able to arrive at a resort earlier than the other and get away quicker to avoid the peak traffic.

(4) You can ski several resorts in several countries in one trip. I average 6 to 10 resorts in each 2-week trip.

(5) You can do self catering.

(6) If the skiing isn't enjoyable, say in a white out, you can relax in a sign-seeing in cities or towns.

(7) You can go to resorts that are not marketed by the TOs and there are hundreds of them out there.

(Cool You can do bootlegging if passing France.

(9) You feel more like an European skier than a UK skier whenever you park at a resort (some may regard this as a disadvantage)

I can see the following disadvantges

(a) You have to stop drinking alcohol like a fish

(b) There is only 5 seats in a car.

(c) You need to buy your own skiing equipment, snow chains and even considering snow tyres.

(d) You will almost certainly need to get hold of a Sat Nav and ski equipment transportation gears (roof racks, top box etc).

(e) You need to have a decent car to turn driving 600+ miles into a relaxing rather than enduring activity.

(f) You have to eat at the restaurants or cook your own meals. Catered chalet may be hard to come by unless you adhere to the weekly programmes.

(g) You lose out in the cheap airfares by low-cost carriers.
latest report
The first time we drove to the Alps was when we went to La Plagne. On route we stopped in Burgundy, Champagne and just out of Calais. We now travel to our place by car if we can. You need more time to do it, and driving in the UK is no fun, but we would have to drive a way if we were flying, as the nearest appropriate airport is usually 3 hours or so away. In April we are flying (Gatwick I think), so by the time I've driven there and waited for a ridiculous amount of time at the airport. I could be in France, or at least be on the ferry having a nice meal.
ski holidays
JulesB, if you are driving to Gatwick, you're going to be waiting a long time for your plane.......... I'm going to Stansted, so I hope you are coming too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, Laughing
Quote:

You will almost certainly need to get hold of a Sat Nav

absolutely no need for a satnav - perfectly good maps available, and good signposting. Even a solo driver (or one who has an incompetent navigator) only needs to make a few notes beforehand, blu-tacked to the dashboard.
ski holidays
pam w, I agree, no need for Sat Nav, what's wrong with a good Michelin map. I always used to do a route plan using either aa or viamichelin too (and often still do if we are going to a new overnight stop).
snow report
We've done the journey for years without the Sat Nav - in the early days we had the route written out but don't bother now... except if I am doing the trip on my own I have to have it - and in my case typed out in large letters so I can easily read it. But now we have the Sat Nav we usually have it on, sound turned down, as its useful to see how far to go and my husband keeps glancing at it to see how fast I am driving, as slightly anal about the diesel consumption.
Once here though we do sometimes use Sat Nav if going somewhere different, middle of some industrial estate to buy something and that kind of thing.

Pricewise it seemed to break down, to us, as better to bring the car for anything longer than about six days - shorter breaks we used to fly and hire, but that is only for two of us. I do love having the car and squeezing yet another bag, box, carrier bag into it.
snow report
Next time I do it. I will stop at Ashford and do the French leg in one day. Had an awful Hotel at langres which wasn't cheap. To make it economically viable, there needs to be a 4 of you in the car.

Cost's to take into consideration

Fuel : My Mondeo estate Diesel only does 36 mpg when fully loaded with roof box and ski rack with 4 pairs (yes I put both a rack and box on)
Hotel both ways : If you are driving from north of Luton.
Tunnel : use Tesco vouchers , but book well in advance.
Comprehensive European road cover
Road Toll's : Valloire was €160 return, 3V etc will be about €140
Possible Car Parking in Resort
Snow chains, it is likely that when you change your car your old chains will not fit

Deduct from this
Air Fares
Ski Carriage
Taxi to/from airport or airport parking in UK
Car Hire in Europe or Resort Transfers (which can be as much as the total travel costs for driving from the UK)
Car hire extras, winter pack, ski rack etc
You will of course also have to put fuel and pay road tolls in a hire car
snow report
Pamski wrote:
, as slightly anal about the diesel consumption.

Oh I've got one of those, ok they're right, but still anal.

Two drivers, two children, reasonable sized car, map, some supplies, ski gear on board = recipie for a journey that you are more likely to be in control of and therefore less stressful (provided that you are prepared to stop in poor conditions)
ski holidays
I drive to Les Contamines from Glasgow at least once a year and as said above, as long as you have a decent comfortable car, it can be quite a good way to travel, especially if you aren't pressed for time and want to explore bits of europe you wouldn't normally go to.

I normally leave Glasgow just before evening rush hour having slept most of the day and aim to get the 0400Hrs ferry from dover to dunkirk, sleep for a few hours on the ferry (I find the boat movement quite relaxing getting rocked to sleep!!) then straight down the motorway to the resort arriving there late afternoon, early evening. That said, I work shifts so find it easier than most being awake in the middle of the night and working on not too much sleep.

Price wise even with driving from Glasgow it works out better value than flying and hire car if I'm going to be there for more than 2 weeks and it is quite nice having my own car with me.
ski holidays
I've driven to the alps a few times from Glasgow and personal feeling is that I try and avoid it. Doesn't spoil the holiday but I feel wrecked for a week when I get back rather than holidayed.
snow report
I have done regular European driving in the summer before taking up skiing and can survive even without maps. However maps are always handy.

Sat Nav is in a different league. In European trips with 10 to 12 destinations if I key in the destinations before departure I could get every journey done door to door. It does tell me the amount of remaining journey I need to do and reprogram the route immediately if I change. The nice bit is if I park the car in a city I can record the location instantly , carry it around as map and never have to bother where to do and how to come back because the Sat Nav can get me back.

Driving at night or in a blizzard or with poor visibility one does not have to rely on reading the direction signs, street names or a need to know where one is at any time.

The Sat Nav also has information for the nearest petrol station, restaurants and many places of interest.

Yes a map can do it but it is many times more convenient with a pocket Sat Nav.
ski holidays
Sat navs are good, but I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this yet.

Don't leave home without it wink snowHead
ski holidays
I left Chamonix at 0630 yesterday and was back in Ightham in Kent at 1630 sitting on the sofa. Didn't go above 85mph either...just cruise control. That was also with an 8 month old and a 3 year old !! Used the tunnel by the way ! 602 miles...
ski holidays
Axsman, Laughing Laughing . But only worth it if you travel regularly. Reminds me, I need to send off my new card details.
snow report
What's immediately apparent is how many of you have kids!!!!!
Seriously though, where's a good place to stop in France on the way if stoping overnight?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy