Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where can I ski in May? Suggestions please

Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from a week in La Plagne. Very Happy Very Happy
But now I've got that "need another week this season" feeling. Unfortunately due to work commitments I can't get away until May 1st. I presume all Alpine resorts will be shut then, but what other options are available? North America or Canada perhaps? All sensible suggestions welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
long weekend in tignes?

I think its open till the 3rd
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WiRED, How about Zermatt or Saas Fee, or both they're not far apart and have year round glacier skiing. Stubai and Hintertux in Austria are also possibilities.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
WiRED, Try Chamonix, I am sure the Grands Montets are open through May ( it used to be!! ) North facing and high. Short hop from GVA too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WiRED, Sunshine Village, Banff doesn't usually close until late May.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
WiRED, Have a look at Kaprun (or Zell am See) in Austria too - the glacier on the Kitzsteinhorn there is open all year and there's a 3-day spring party on the slopes which starts on the 1st May: with cheesy Euro-pop & dance music, free equipment tests & loads of high-altitude Austrian-style apres madness.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd suggest grands montets if you want a proper ski hill. Otherwise start looking at resorts that offer glacial summer skiing e.g. les desux alpes, tignes, zermatt, etc. If it were me though i wouldn't bother with a glacial summer slope as they're generally relatively small & don't offer an awful lot of interest for more than a day or two unless you plan on jibbing in a park or pipe for a week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok, there are some interesting places for me to look into. I'm surprised that so many resorts in the Alps are still open, although if it is just going to be a few runs on a glacier, I'd probably prefer to look at other options. Banff could be interesting too. Sorry daehwons, I don't think a long weekend is going to cut it. Thanks for the pointers though - I'm off to do some research now Very Happy ,
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WiRED, Hintertux. Period.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Deux Alpes?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, I don't think you can in May. It closes on 25th April I believe then opens up again in mid-June for summer skiing. Someone better informed than me like easiski will be along I expect.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
try MK or Tamworth, actually think Hemel maybe open by then! Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Seriously, Hemel is about 20 minutes from here. I have considered it as an "emergency" option if I can't get away for a full week Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Espace Killy and all of its links are open until 4th May, as is Val Thorens.

Grand Montets at Chamonix is open until 11th May. We've skiied all 3 areas on Mayday weekend in the past 3 years and had great conditions (powder some years) and deserted slopes. We're off to Val T and Chamonix again on 3rd may this year - can't wait!

You can expect to ski the (anything but small) 5000ft drop from the top of the cable car in Tignes back to the village until at least the end of May.

Austrian glaciers are also worth a look and you could take in two or three in a week without too much hassle if you are prepared to hire a car. For the trip you could fly to Munich, Salzburg, Friedrichshafen or Zurich and ski at Hintertux, Soelden, Stubai, Pitztal, Kaunertal or Kaprun. All are worth a trip and you can count on great conditions in May.

They are all easily accessible from the motorway that runs east to west through Austria and, if you plan your trip carefully, you could reach another glacier area after skiing. We did a 2 night trip at Whit last year and flew to Munich. We then skiied Hintertux on the Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday. After skiing on Sunday we drove 1.5 hours to Neustift in the Stubai valley and skiied the Stubai glacier on the Monday - a great trip!

You wouldn't need to book accommodation as it's easy enough to turn up at that time of the year and knock on doors (or visit the tourist office) to get fixed up at bargain B & B's. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Les Deux Alpes......

From the website: www.2alpes.com

Winter: From 29/11/08 to 25/04/09

Summer: Opening of the glacier from June 14th to August 30th 2008, from 7h00 to 12h30.
ski holidays
In the states A-basin (Arapahoe Basin) in Colorado stays open well into June (and some years all the way to July 4th). I was there last May during Memorial Day weekend in the US and it snowed!

Mt. Hood in Oregon stays open all Summer. So skiing there in May you should be able to find good snow. I would say Hood and A-basin are you to best bets for US skiing in May.
ski holidays
Norway: the opening day for Stryn is towards the end of May.
latest report
WiRED, There should still be a lot of km still available at Hintertux. I went there the end of May a couple of years back and had fresh snow and great conditions. I wouldn't hesitate to go there again in May (or even June).
snow conditions
There seem to be a few votes for Hintertux. Ok, I'm checking that out first.
ski holidays
WiRED

Hintertux will have about 30 or 40km of pistes open at most; Espace Killy will have about 50% of its area open - ie 125km Shocked of pistes.

Any contest??

Or for complete novelty value......Riksgransen in northern Sweden is open until the end of May. It is 250km inside the Arctic Circle - which means that in May: conditions will be more winter-like than anywhere else in Europe; it will be 24 hr daylight at that time of year - the ski lifts are open until after midnight for skiing in broad daylight under the midnight sun. Just come back from there - a great (smallish) area with lots of steep off piste easily accessed from the lifts.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
WiRED

Hintertux will have about 30 or 40km of pistes open at most; Espace Killy will have about 50% of its area open - ie 125km Shocked of pistes.

Any contest??

When I was there at the end of May, there was well over 60km open.

But I won't argue that for the first weekend of May that there will be more open in Tignes/Val d'Isere.

WiRED for the early May bank holiday go to Tignes, for the later May bank holiday go to Hintertux - sorted Very Happy
ski holidays
Riksgransen
snow conditions
2nd of May will be my last day of well deserved holidays in Levi, Finland Smile I hope snow conditions will be still great at that time, so hopefully I can get some skiing after being on snow since end of October, but mostly shooting skiing and getting only about 20 days of real skiing, not just sliding down the WC course.
Other then that, you still have quite few glaciers in Austria and Switzerland. My favorite place, especially because it's just 100km away is Molltaler glacier.
snow conditions
WiRED, hi wired - im going on the second of april - any ecommendations for good bars?
snow conditions
nick0861 wrote:
WiRED, hi wired - im going on the second of april - any ecommendations for good bars?

i think val thorens offers a snow guarantee into may
ski holidays
nick0861 wrote:
nick0861 wrote:
WiRED, hi wired - im going on the second of april - any recommendations for good bars?

i think val thorens offers a snow guarantee into may
ski holidays
nick0861, I didn't actually get to many bars on this trip. The so-called credit crunch seems to have affected people to the point where almost everyone stayed in the chalet and drank the supplied wine, or bought stuff in from the local Spar. If you're staying in Plagne Centre however, I do (vaguely) recall having some fairly good times 2 years ago in a few of the bars in the main shopping area. One called No 'Blm seems to ring some bells as having live music 3 or 4 nights a week. Scotty's also has live music but when I was there it had no atmosphere whatsoever.
snow report
sierra nevada will be open till may the fiftennth http://www.skiinfo.com/News/SierraNevada-EESSIERRANE-104-en.jhtml?aic=159570
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy