Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Most Pointless Ski Journey Ever?

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.goodskiguide.com/gsg/index.php/the-news/275-skirace
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought this was going to be another thread about David Goldsmith going to ski Scotland.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, that was fruitless rather than pointless
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swiller, for entertainment value let's have your response to the question first.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, Well, what's the point? Why start a journey in Milton Keynes, fly to Turin and then drive and ski and drive and ski etc all the way to Poland? What is the point of it? It certainly isn't "endurance", there doesn't appear to be an aim or a charity angle and it blows that magazine's so-called green credentials right out of the water. What will Al Gore say?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Good Ski Guide is a farce and always has been a farce. But we all get good mileage out of it, and on this occasion it's getting good mileage out of itself (and carrentals.co.uk). Let's hope they do video reports - this could be a scream.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Reading their 'Oscars' section, I'd have to say they make a pretty vacuous statement about the USA [being] too far to go to learn.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
in answer to the question, it's got to be a contender
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:
No, that was fruitless rather than pointless

Don't tell me you forgot your banana as well?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, would that be a slightly curved yellow fruit from a slightly curved yellow fruit ocean-going vessel?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why the heck are they starting off at MK?!?

Would it not be better to stick to the real stuff on real hills/mountains and start at say Raise or even give Scotland a look in as well - brilliant snow up there at the moment (as is actually not all that unusual for March - norra lorra people seem to know that!) ...

... oh, I'm forgetting we are talking southerners here (and more particularly South East of Englanders) rolling eyes wink NehNeh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roga wrote:
... oh, I'm forgetting we are talking southerners here

is Bristol oop north these days NehNeh
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
By 'eck, touche! Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
DB, would that be a slightly curved yellow fruit from a slightly curved yellow fruit ocean-going vessel?

No, I think David gets his Bananas from Spar or Morrisons.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its nothing but a beano, but presumably a sponsored beano.
ski holidays
Majority of ski journeys are pointless anyway. Up and down, up and down, up and down... without going anywhere! So adding some more pointless horizonal travel between resorts only completes the pointless circle. Wink
latest report
I think the GSG's intention could be skiing 9 countries (England, Italy, France, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Germany, Austria, Slovenia and Poland) in 6 days.

Could be pointless and fruitless but it may not have beenattempted before. I think there have been skiers trying to ski all Scottish resorts in a day to raise charity. This one involves a few more countries though.

The 3rd day looks pretty tough to me to cover Dovos (Switzerland), Malbun (Liechtenstein) and Garmisch Partenkirchen (Germany), which is a good 3 hours drive apart and bearing in mind the guys have to start the journey from Italian Milky Way . My guess they would travel the night before to Davos first, spend a couple of hours in Davos, drive the Malbun to have lunch and then drive to Garmisch Partenkirchen before the lifts are closed.
snow conditions
They didn't think too hard about this trip, seemingly not realising that winter tyres and/or chains might be useful... excerpt from blog:

UPDATE: THURSDAY 12 MARCH
Hi guys, I know we promised daily updates, but unfortunately we came across some unforseen problems - mainly caused by being given a car with summer tyres - fit for the Turin city roads, but not mountain snowstorms, meaning we struggled in the icy, snowy passes. The tour nearly had to be cancelled by Wednesday morning after we had to abandon the car in Switzerland at 2am when we got stuck and could go no further.

Laughing Laughing Amateurs?
ski holidays
Ha that's hilarious what a great advert for carrental.couk Laughing
snow report
Bode Swiller,

Quote:

Laughing Laughing Amateurs?

Cannot agree more.
ski holidays
The attempt at putting on snow chains (and other gems) is captured here: http://www.youtube.com/goodskiguide
snow report
These guys thought they ran into unforseen problems. I disagree. Driving in the Alps a 4x4 with summer tyres can be equally lethal. One must be adequately prepared for a journey involving a tight schedule over several countries.

As it turn out a 2WD car failed to get them to their very first skiing resort Sestriere from Turin. I remeber two seasons ago I left Cervina and drove to Milky Way via the Turin route there was a hold-up on the mountain pass because the lorries took up space in the the lay-by to fit chains. Cars were queuing up.

I keep a set of new all-season tyres just for the skiing trips in my 4x4. Naturally I carry a set of snow chains, which I needed to use only once in 6 seasons, and a heavy duty towing rope.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy