Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets: What's a 'Goggle Gasket'?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

MrRibena bought a helmet on our last trip and left the box and instructions behind on our departure. I've found two little plastic bags since; one is a strip of fabric approx 20cm x 3 cm with no velcro (although it might stick to the 'hook' side of velcro) and its bag is marked 'goggle gasket'. There is a clip to hold the goggles at the back of the helmet already so it's not to do with that. The other little plastic bag has two smaller rectangular(ish) foam pieces with adhesive/double-sided tape on one side. To me, these smaller pieces look like extra padding for inside the helmet, maybe they are 'spares'.

The helmet seems to be fine without any of these but I'm intrigued now and was wondering am I missing something completely stupid? Will half of France stop and point and laugh because I don't have a goggle gasket on?? Embarassed Laughing

(In our defence, neither of us has had a helmet until now)

Thanks
Rebecca
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They will stop & point if you have "gaper gap" which is what the goggle gasket is there to prevent IIRC. Most helmets don't need it if the goggs fit up but I think Burton invented it as a gimmick to sound extra technical,
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Apparently it is a removable linetr piece that is supposed to cover any "goggle gap" (i.e. any space between the top of the goggles and the lip of the helmet), and also hslp hold the goggles in place.

It looks like it is only RED brand helmets that do this.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys. Maybe it's just me but the idea of a flappy curtain-type thing seems even more cringetastic than a gap.
Queue more posing in front of the mirror when I get home. Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MissRibena wrote:
Thanks guys. Maybe it's just me but the idea of a flappy curtain-type thing seems even more cringetastic than a gap.
Queue more posing in front of the mirror when I get home. Smile

I think the edges are suppose dto go between teh padding and te shell of the helmet at the top, and under the goggle foam at the bottom, so tehre will be no "flappy" bit.

And I suspect it was not invented so much for appearance as for comfort/safety.

If you are skiing somewhere really cold, you need to have NO exposed skin on your face (or anywhere else really).

I have had one trip to Canada, where I was skiing at Jasper in temperatures of -29C. On one run, I accidentally left a small gap (1/2") between my goggles and my neck-warmer ("buff" to many people). By the end of that one run, the exposed parts of my cheeks were partially frozen, with lumps across them which took several days to disappear.

I imagine the same would happen to any exposed forehead in those sort of temperatures.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What's a 'Goggle Gasket'?

It's when a cr@p ventriloquist asks for a bobble basket Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa wrote:
What's a 'Goggle Gasket'?

It's when a cr@p ventriloquist asks for a bobble basket Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy