Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing - how soon after giving birth?

Poster: A snowHead
Baby due a week before christmas, anyone have any experience when the body is ready to go on skis again following (what will hopefully be) a no complications birth?

Hoping to take advantage of the paternity and get some skiing in with the missus and dump 3 month old with family late in the season...not sure if I'm clutching at straws...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Legend., your first baby, yeah? Dream on Laughing

Very best of luck though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were out for half term with youngest that was born 2nd November
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Proper skiing? About 11 years or so when they then will be better than you. Unless "dumping" can be done.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Congrats, good luck, and I recommend revisiting this thread in a few months' time to ask yourself "what the @:~? was I thinking" Happy

In my experience it only works if the childcare comes with you.

But most importantly, remember to ignore all the advice anyone gives you about kids, birth, parenting, childcare etc. That includes this advice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could probably ski that day, I would recommend a day or two of rest for the other half though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I skied 3 weeks after my son was born, (he stayed with granny who was delighted). But to be perfectly honest it will depend on how fit you are generally and how well you ski.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Claude B wrote:
You could probably ski that day, I would recommend a day or two of rest for the other half though Toofy Grin
Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Suzi snowflake, I don't think his fitness and skiing ability are altogether the issue. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh I don't know. How wet will the baby's head be?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Our youngest was born 16th July and went on a trip in December of that year. At 3 months, its just eat, sleep, poop, repeat so Jnr will probably be fine assuming that one end is kept full and the other empty.

As for mum, one thing my wife noticed with Sideways_Jnr Mk2 was that her feet changed quite significantly and went up by about a half size which meant her boots were too tight (a relatively common, yet rarely covered side effect of pregnancy apparently - all to do with ligaments...) so if your good lady has her own boots make sure they still fit and don't need tweaking.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways wrote:

As for mum, one thing my wife noticed with Sideways_Jnr Mk2 was that her feet changed quite significantly and went up by about a half size which meant her boots were too tight (a relatively common, yet rarely covered side effect of pregnancy apparently - all to do with ligaments...) so if your good lady has her own boots make sure they still fit and don't need tweaking.

Agree. Feet permanently wider and arches lower
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well it would seem to be the done thing to give it a couple of hours or so at least - initial bonding and feeding and all that. Longer than that given liklihood of various gushing relatives to take over duties....priorities innit wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My mum went skiing when I was just 3 Months Old , parents took me with them and a friend in resort looked after me during the day, apparently I spent all day sleeping and was no problem.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Suzi snowflake wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Agree. Feet permanently wider and arches lower

I managed to not have this issue after having my two, saying that my feet have always been wide maybe that helped!
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Speaking of Ms Still29 - how's the rehab been or surgery still due?
snow report

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 11-10-21 22:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
We took junior at about 5 months. We shared the child care, Mrs M skied (XC) in the mornings and I had the afternoons.
latest report
@anarski,
Don't they recommend not taking kids up to that sort of altitude unless they are used to it?
snow report
Quote:

anyone have any experience when the body is ready to go on skis again following (what will hopefully be) a no complications birth?

Assuming you are asking about the mother's body, I'd say six weeks minimum, provided you start doing the physio as recommended within hours of giving birth. I am astonished seeing women who have given birth three months previously who still have big sagging stomachs. They clearly hadn't started doing the physio as recommended within hours of giving birth...... wink
snow report
Having said that though, and having had three kids, there's no way I'd have "dumped" any of them with anybody, at 3 months old. I skied 6 weeks after an uncomplicated hysterectomy, which is more disruptive (sizeable abdominal incision and various disrupted bits inside) than an uncomplicated birth. But lots of births aren't uncomplicated. I wouldn't have wanted to ski 6 weeks after the birth of my first baby with a third degree tear and what felt like a million stitches. Skullie
snow report
musher wrote:
@anarski,
Don't they recommend not taking kids up to that sort of altitude unless they are used to it?

Puts me in mind of this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2870632 - a couple of posts there that should give pause for thought
latest report

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 11-10-21 20:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
? Taking babies to high altitude isn't the issue though, is it? The idea seems to be to go skiing without the baby.
latest report
@anarski, I don't think the poster has suggested they want to put the baby in a backpack. If he is suggesting that then I can only say don't even think about it. I have personally witnessed a baby in a backpack being smacked on the ground. The father carrying him was a ski instructor. There are also stories of children freezing and having to have limbs amputated. Best to just accept that the minute the child is here everything ( and I mean everything ) in your life will change, and skiing is not the most important thing in the world!
snow report
Hmm, has anyone actually asked the grandparents if they would be willing to look after the baby?? Poor wee thing. Dumped. I think you're definitely clutching at very thin straws.
Quote:

I wouldn't have wanted to ski 6 weeks after the birth of my first baby with a third degree tear and what felt like a million stitches.

+1.
snow report
Our daughter came out to Les Gets for a long weekend family celebration at the start of February a couple of years ago with the second child who was seven weeks old. We had an amazing snowfall at the time and it was oh so tempting for her to go out, all her kit was at the chalet, but she decided not to. She is a very experienced skier and was an instructor years ago. They were back in March for a few weeks and she did ski then, not long days but a couple or three hours, with one of us or her husband when he visited, and she felt it was then very beneficial to getting her body back together. We boxed and coxed the baby and child care between us.
snow report
Legend. wrote:
Baby due a week before christmas, anyone have any experience when the body is ready to go on skis again following (what will hopefully be) a no complications birth?

Hoping to take advantage of the paternity and get some skiing in with the missus and dump 3 month old with family late in the season...not sure if I'm clutching at straws...

Her body may well be 'normal' by this time and ready to go off skiing (however, 'normal' after a baby is not always exactly the same as 'normal' was before the baby...). Her mind (and quite likely yours) will will be at a new 'normal' too. She / you may find you don't want to 'dump' your 3 month old at home and head off abroad alone.

I would keep an open mind and go for a last minute deal if that's what you both want at the time. If possible, taking baby and babysitter with you could be your best option.

Good luck with the baby and the skiing!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You baby needs your missus milk - so take baby along and plan the feeding!

Hope you baby is a easy baby!😆 Toofy Grin
latest report
Timed well, give birth in a gondola, hand over newborn to grandparents at top, leap straight into bindings. Then you'll certainly be @Legend., on snowHeads.

Seriously though, I think @pam w, advice of minimum 6 weeks, taking full account of individual variables and following physio advice, sounds sensible. In our case my wife waited four months and all went well. We made regular (3 or 4) visits back to base and baby during each day, which we though was important. We stayed at about 1800m and don't recall any health issues.
snow report
Our kids were Aug and Sept births and we went skiing following January in both cases, in fact we went Munro bashing with kid at about 4 weeks . It really is not that difficult to organise both . C sections for both.
ski holidays
Do you know when will your ligaments might be back to normal? I have no idea about all this but i have a friend who blew an ACL and this was thought to be at least contributed to by the impact of pregnancy on her ligaments. If you ski before they are back to normal you might want to be reasonably cautious.
Good luck with your birth and for a speedy return to skiing Happy
ski holidays
@cp1000, I was told it takes 9 months for your body to get ready to give birth and it takes 9 months to fully return to normal this was in response to me asking about when the relaxin hormone is clear of your system as I had an ACL recon 6 months before falling pregnant.
ski holidays
Went snowboarding 8 and 7 weeks respectively after having my two boys. Went with my sisters and close friends and took it in turns, the babies mostly just slept in the sling! Had a fab time on both holidays and personally it was just what I needed...a bit of a break from the baby bubble!
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Our youngest was born 16th July and ...

Happy Birthday then to "Sideways_Jnr Mk2"!!
latest report
I skied most of my maternity leave - we had the best nanny. It was bloody brilliant. snowHead
snow report
Thanks guys, some interesting pov! (as always!)

First baby - yep.

The lovely lady loves to ski and is pretty good by most standards. Potential child would be staying at 400m above sea level so no issues there.

Sounds like if things go swimmingly (what are the chances…) we should be ok for a few days late season.

Literally cannot wait to get the kid on skis and watch it learn. I’m gonna to cry when it’s better than me by the age of 10 (7?!?) though…
snow report
it's a piece of wee wee @Legend., just make sure the recovery goes well (so that's you pulling your finger out and her not lifting a finger around the house- or ideally get a grandmother in to do this) et voila! We took the midget off away at 6 weeks and today he completed his 20th flight before his first birthday. Babies travel pretty well and when they're small and don't move, the world (and ski resort) is your lobster wink
snow conditions
Should be fine physically if no serious complications with caveats about more lax ligaments and shoe size changes. And ski gear not fitting, sigh. I'm on crutches with pregnancy from the second trimester onwards, and have needed c-sections the last three times but honestly I'd have been alright to ski in that timeframe. Gently, but definitely okay.

The far bigger issue is logistics, especially if she's breastfeeding, or even if she just doesn't want to leave the baby for very long. I had all these great ideas before my first was born about leaving them with people, but often baby (and/or mother) has a very different perspective when it comes to it in the early months. Couldn't even escape for a few hours! But then some people have easy babies who you could leave anywhere and by the time I got to my fourth I wasn't that fussy who I left her with..!

My ten year old is now better than me, my eight year old not far behind (actually, she's usually far in front but I'm talking about technique here!) and even my six year old with autism is cheerfully doing the blue runs now whilst pretending to be a chicken (don't ask). My three year old had her first snow garden experience in March this year and I'm hoping she's out on the slopes proper next year. There really is nothing to compare with the absolute pride in seeing them go out properly on their own for the first time. Or anything as cute!
snow report
When they are a little older it is brilliant to have a nanny too if the children are not going into a crèche. We had such a lovely girl this year in March who arrived each morning just before 9 and was there most days till 5 as we had our daughter's two little girls, 2 and 4, and son's little boy, one and a half. The four year old was in ski school every morning and then some days she was taken back to our house and other days she stayed out a bit longer. Our son and daughter split the costs between them as they didn't want us to be child minding all the time. Couldn't recommend it more highly.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy